Pan Africanism : Stokely still speaks to us about Black Power!

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by NNQueen, Jul 28, 2004.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    An old speech but is the message still relevant to us today?

Read it all here:

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/stokelycarmichaelblackpower.html

Queenie

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I couldn't read the entire article, but Kwame Ture's (Stokely) overall message (the struggle against white supremacy does not mean we have to integrate) is still relevant. Segregation had to fall, because it was an institution of white supremacy. However the end of segregation did not mean that Black people had to integrate. I respect Dr. Martin Luther King, and the sacrifice he made for us. He will eternally have my gratitude, but I don't share Dr. King's dream. I am not fantasizing of a day when my children will be joining hands, and singing with white children. I dream of a day when my children will be able to secure all of their rights as a human being. When they can achieve self-actualization, and go as far as their talent allows. I look forward to a day when they will not be limited because of white supremacy.

Integration is not the end of white supremacy, it an evolution. Indeed, White supremacy is more powerful in an integrated society. When communities integrate, the desire to assimilate into American society becomes more powerful, which results in the abandonment of one's culture. The desire to fit into white society dampens independent thought, which makes black people more vunerable to white supremacist. In an integrated society white supremacy is able to hide & blend in the environment, where it can attack its targets by surprise (much like the Aids virus hides within the body to protect itself from antibodies). The white supremacist in an integrated society has traded his horse for a Lexus. His cross is now a business suit....his hood is now a handshake. The headquarters is no longer an isolated house, but a corporate boardroom. You don't know who he is ( the superintendent of your school, the banker who processes home loans, the car salesman, your next door neighbor, the guy who just installed cable at your house). In an integrate society, your enemy can hid in plain site.

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    Well written Brother Pan. :bowdown: I love the boldness of your statement and it reads as though you live and breathe the message underneath the words. Thank you for responding.

Queenie :spinstar: