Black People : Still Separate, Still Unequal

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Still Separate, Still Unequal

''I favor integration on buses and in all areas of public accommodation and travel,'' King said. ''I am for equality. However, I think integration in our public schools is different. In that setting, you are dealing with one of the most important assets of an individual -- the mind. White people view black people as inferior. A large percentage of them have a very low opinion of our race. People with such a low view of the black race cannot be given free rein and put in charge of the intellectual care and development of our boys and girls.''

Martin Luther King, Jr. (1959)

Click Here to Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    thank you destee,i didn't know about this from dr.king,alot of black folk still think that dr.king was about[turning the other cheek]but he was a warrior for our people always.

3. Afru Shukuwr

Afru Shukuwr Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Martin, Malcolm, Marcus all begin with Ma's.

4. mrron

mrron Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    There are many minorities in this country. I would venture to say that we are the only one's expecting the school system to accommodate us in this way. With the system consisting mostly of white female teachers, how is it possible to teach black history to black kids in the presence of other's who might be totally disinterested? That is something that should be done at home by black parents, or at church or other gatherings. I use to make my kids read black history books at home and give me a written report. The school system, so I was told, was designed to educate white people, who are by far, the majority.

5. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61

Excellent article and amazing that it was written over three years ago but is just as pressing today.

Absolutely prophetic quote from Dr. King as well.

It felt like I was reading my own words when I read the author talking about how much better off we'd be if brown had strictly enforced plessy v ferguson and equal facilities instead of enabling so-called "integration".