Black Ancestors : Steve Biko and the Legacy of the Black Consciousness Movement

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by OmowaleX, May 24, 2006.

1. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    "I Write What I Like contains a selection of Biko's writings from 1969, when he became the president of the South African Student's Organization, to 1972, when he was prohibited from publishing. The collection also includes a preface by Archbishop Desmond Tutu, an introduction by Malusi and Thoko Mpumlwana, who were both involved with Biko in the Black Consciousness movement, a memoir by Father Aelred Stubbs, his longtime pastor and friend; and a new foreword by Professor Lewis Gordon, author of Her majesty's Other Children and Existentia Africana."

My involvement with the Black Consciousness Movement is a result of a working relationship with Thamsanga (Tim) Ngubeni, a former member of the Black Consciousness Movement and friend of Steve Biko. Brother Tim was a South African student who attended UCLA on a sports scholarship, was a member of UCLA's men's soccer team, and has a long history of community service, founding the Steve Biko Project and serving as a counselor and advisor to African students. It was through my association with Brother Tim that I served as a founding director of the African Education Project, beginning this association as a member of the African Activists Association, a graduate student organization of which brother Tim was the chairperson.

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Being black is not a matter of pigmentation - being black is a reflection of a mental attitude.

- Steven Biko

3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Steve Biko legacy lives on

Posted on 07 September 2010 by Ian Thanduxolo Jindela

The Steve Biko Foundation and fellow South African citizens will once again celebrate the life of the late Black Consciousness leader. Keeping the legacy and the vision of Biko alive, the annual Steve Biko memorial lecture will be part of the celebrations for this month.” You are either alive or proud or you are either dead, and when you are dead, you can’t care anyway. And your method of death can itself be politicizing thing.” Steve Biko. Established in 2000, the annual Steve Biko Memorial lecture is the flagship programme of the Steve Biko Foundation and is the principal avenue through which the Foundation pursues a core element of its mission: to foster the intangible but essential community building blocks: history, identity, culture and values, as the foundation for leadership and agency at the level of the individual and the community.....

....In the Tradition of Biko, the Steve Biko foundation works to empower individual and communities to be active agents of change in their own lives and the life of the nation,” says Biko’s Nkosinathi Biko. Since the inception, the foundation has sought to fill this gap; and in the coming decade will intensify its effort to strengthen democracy by championing its dialogue, scholarship and programs on the relationships between agency, citizenship and social action.

The foundation has become a multi faceted entity that reminds the World – on an ongoing basis-of Bantu Stephen Biko’s visionary ideas and the contemporary relevance. Many of these ideas encompasses in “I write what I like” a selection of his writings. The Biko Heritage Trail in Eastern Cape-comprises of six Biko sites which has been declared as National Monument sites. The Biko Garden of Remembrance and The Biko Bridge in East London a peaceful journey along the seaside, the bridge at night shines with bright lights from the inner suburbs- unlike Mandela Bridge Biko Bridge is just simple and old infrastructure......

COMPLETE ARTICLE HERE: http://africabusiness.com/2010/09/07/steve-biko-legacy-lives-on/

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    son of Bantu Steven Biko

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

This is a rare interview which took place just before his assasination.

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    "Black man, you are on your own."
    Slogan coined by Steve Biko for the South African Student's Organisation, SASO.

"You are either alive and proud or you are dead, and when you are dead, you can't care anyway." ~ Steve Biko
    On Death, I Write What I Like, 1978

"Black Consciousness is an attitude of the mind and a way of life, the most positive call to emanate from the black world for a long time. Its essence is the realisation by the black man of the need to rally together with his brothers around the cause of their oppression - the blackness of their skin - and to operate as a group to rid themselves of the shackles that bind them to perpetual servitude." ~ Steve Biko

The Quest for a True Humanity, I Write What I Like, 1978.

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

Peter Gabriel: "Biko"

Released in 1987 for the film 'Cry Freedom'
    Directed by Godley and Creme

9. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560