Black Education / Schools : STEM Education And Jobs: Declining Numbers Of Blacks Seen In Math, Science

Black-king

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 13, 2011
With black unemployment reaching historic levels, banks laying off tens of thousands and law school graduates waiting tables, why aren't more African-Americans looking toward science, technology, engineering and math – the still-hiring careers known as STEM?
The answer turns out to be a complex equation of self-doubt, stereotypes, discouragement and economics – and sometimes just wrong perceptions of what math and science are all about....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/24/stem-education-and-jobs-d_n_1028998.html?ir=Black Voices

well im a psych major currently so i would be the exception to this technically ;)

but this post is more towards bio n engineering majors.

1) before i took psych i intended on engineering. But i HATE math. Psych has much less math.
2) HS made me hate biology. i loved it when i was younger n still do. just wont be my career.

but i am in a science oriented field if that helps fight the statistic

well im a psych major currently so i would be the exception to this technically ;)

I know in an age where we need more Black Scientists more than ever, it's a problem.

1) before i took psych i intended on engineering. But i HATE math. Psych has much less math.
2) HS made me hate biology. i loved it when i was younger n still do. just wont be my career.
Most people don't like math, but I think math is like art, if you practice a lot you will get better at it. Though the public education system don't prepare Black students for math and science majors

Lol, we gotta fight this anyway we can.

How do you plan on doing any less than trivial research without math? ..Honest question.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back