destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

I have been under the impression that this phrase, "steel sharpens steel," is from the Honorable Elijah Muhammad. I've understood it to mean that (when possible) Brothers should teach / correct Brothers, and that Sisters should teach / correct Sisters. I really don't know where i got this from, but it has been in my mind for a long time.

I would imagine though, that there are those exceptions, when a Sister or Brother is not available, and the opposite must occur. Certainly, it might not apply when it comes to young children, as Sisters generally have the more "hands on" responsibility. Also, when there is a single parent raising the child, even as they grow older, only one parent is available.

But for the most part, this is how it should work ... according to my understanding of "steel sharpens steel."

I don't know what book this is from, or even if it really exists.

I did a search and couldn't find any reference that actually gave the understanding that i have. So i'm really lost right now.

Have i had it wrong all the time?

Can someone tell me where THEM talks about this, which book, article, etc., of his, and what you understand it to mean.

I kinda like the idea of what my mind has been thinking about this ... but now i'm wondering where i got it from.

Please help me on this one Family.

What does ... "steel sharpens steel" ... mean to you, and in what work can it be found?

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

some Steel Sharpens Steel references

Sometimes attributed to the Bible in Proverbs: 27:17 (although iron is the word used)

Proverbs 27
"1 Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.

2 Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.

3 A stone is heavy, and the sand weighty; but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both.

4 Wrath is cruel, and anger is outrageous; but who is able to stand before envy?

5 Open rebuke is better than secret love.

6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

7 The full soul loatheth an honeycomb; but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet.

8 As a bird that wandereth from her nest, so is a man that wandereth from his place.

9 Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel.

10 Thine own friend, and thy father's friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother's house in the day of thy calamity: for better is a neighbour that is near than a brother far off.

11 My son, be wise, and make my heart glad, that I may answer him that reproacheth me.

12 A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself; but the simple pass on, and are punished.

13 Take his garment that is surety for a stranger, and take a pledge of him for a strange woman.

14 He that blesseth his friend with a loud voice, rising early in the morning, it shall be counted a curse to him.

15 A continual dropping in a very rainy day and a contentious woman are alike.

16 Whosoever hideth her hideth the wind, and the ointment of his right hand, which bewrayeth itself.

17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

18 Whoso keepeth the fig tree shall eat the fruit thereof: so he that waiteth on his master shall be honoured.

19 As in water face answereth to face, so the heart of man to man.

20 Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.

21 As the fining pot for silver, and the furnace for gold; so is a man to his praise.

22 Though thou shouldest bray a fool in a mortar among wheat with a pestle, yet will not his foolishness depart from him.

23 Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds.

24For riches are not for ever: and doth the crown endure to every generation?

25The hay appeareth, and the tender grass sheweth itself, and herbs of the mountains are gathered.

26The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goats are the price of the field.

27And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens."

Also used by the USMC (Marines) in its mentoring program: "The Mentoring Program slogan, “As steel sharpens steel,” means Marines will strive to improve each other through a holistic approach to individual betterment for the greater good of the Corps."
"The program was inspired in part by recent cultural studies by the Center for Naval Analysis, Behavioral Science Technology, which identified gaps in Marine leadership effectiveness."

Also in Brand Nubian song, "Time is Running Out":
"The time is running out, tick-tock, like the grains of sand
Every man sharpens man, like steel sharpens steel
The threat of a war is real
Where my soldiers for the battlefield?"

might this be a possibility?

Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. (KJV)

Proverbs 27:17. Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another. (New American Standard Bible)

(spent all this time getting this thing just the way i wanted it ... )

In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Steel Sharpens Steel

Both oldsoul and anAfrican are correct, Sister Destee; and it is the essence of this Site, in the Forums, Poetry and the Chat rooms, to prepare us into becoming better beings, to learn from one another. So, it is no surprize to me to see the statement from you, "but it has been in my mind for a long time."

Peace and Blessings Family,

I have been under the impression that this phrase, "steel sharpens steel," is from the Honorable Elijah Muhammad. I've understood it to mean that (when possible) Brothers should teach / correct Brothers, and that Sisters should teach / correct Sisters. I really don't know where i got this from, but it has been in my mind for a long time.

I would imagine though, that there are those exceptions, when a Sister or Brother is not available, and the opposite must occur. Certainly, it might not apply when it comes to young children, as Sisters generally have the more "hands on" responsibility. Also, when there is a single parent raising the child, even as they grow older, only one parent is available.

But for the most part, this is how it should work ... according to my understanding of "steel sharpens steel."

I don't know what book this is from, or even if it really exists.

I did a search and couldn't find any reference that actually gave the understanding that i have. So i'm really lost right now.

Have i had it wrong all the time?

Can someone tell me where THEM talks about this, which book, article, etc., of his, and what you understand it to mean.

I kinda like the idea of what my mind has been thinking about this ... but now i'm wondering where i got it from.

Please help me on this one Family.

What does ... "steel sharpens steel" ... mean to you, and in what work can it be found?

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee
"Steel sharpens Steel" is classical 5% and NOI lingo. It basically means to take constructive criticism when you are wrong and improve yourself, accordingly.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back