Black People : STATE OF THE BLACK UNION 2006

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by KWABENA, Feb 25, 2006.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Jambo Family:

The State of the Black Union is on C-SPAN right now as we speak. It is rather very interesting. I would recommend taking the time to listen in on it. They are emanating from Houston, TX.

CD

2. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Cedric- I agree It is very interesting.

I went to the website to pick up the covenant book: http://covenantwithblackamerica.com/

I was a bit dissappointed the weblink to purchase goes through Amazon rather than through a black bookstore site, but I'll buy it anyway.

The covenant seems like a knockoff of the Republicans "Contract with America" in 1994.

Tavis seems heavily focused on washington and reaching out to the two political parties....hopefully the covenant goes beyond that and offers solutions for black folks taking accountability for our own progress.

3. kemetkind

Ratings:
    +61
    If anyone missed it the Conference will re-air Monday night at 7:30 eastern on c-span2 .

I never really dug Tavis, but I have to give him credit for his damage control after Farrakhan tore into his covenant and shell-shocked his panel!

4. fanyamambo

fanyamambo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't live in the US but happen to be visiting at the moment, AND happened to stumble upon this on CSPAN this afternoon. I must say it was very interesting and inspiring. I did think Minister Farrakhan went off course but I did recognize that a lot of the other panelists were able to bring the discussion back into focus. I thought it was great and important dialogue, and I do hope that it will be sustained and carried forward into action.

5. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    I watched the program and I'll definitely buy the book.

6. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I too - Family - thought that Farrakhan got carried away. However, I seek to personally get in contact with almost every young panelist that was up there over the weekend. Let us young people come together to establish a covenant that coincides with the original convenant. I believe we will make something happen!

CD

7. joeclifton

joeclifton New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings Brothers and Sisters,

I just came across this chat room and saw some of your comments about the Black State of the Union for 2006. I just got through watching the program in its entirety and found it to be very interesting as well. I think that it is time for us as a people to take charge of our lives collectively, and as individuals. I have not read "The Covenant" but I am going to purchase and read it.

I would like to say though, concerning Minister Farrakhans comments/sermon, that I don't believe that he was dissing "The Covenant" but was only pointing out that before we adopt it we should take a look at how we buy into the system in this country; to make the necessary adjustments within our own community structures and incorporate "The Convenant" as a part of our conversations, daily; to put God first and ourselves next - we must not deprive ourselves this go round'. Minister Farrakhan suggest that next steps could include that we disconnect ourselves from the corrupt system (the burning house must be purged, purified through the fire; made a new) here in this country, which is primary and the prerequisite to the implementation of "the convenant". As a result, the goals set forth in the Covenant can then realized.

Lets do think about all that was said, digest it carefully and move to set things right for Black America (i.e. holding the leaders accountable as well as ourselves (to the standards set forth by the covenant), and take being responsible to the cause more seriously, and NOT DROP THE BALL THIS TIME! This is the next movement and the time is now.

8. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367

For of all Brotha, I want to welcome you to the Family.

That was a good first post that you wrote. I agree with your points, and I think it is important that we not only digest carefully what the Minister said, but we should digest carefully ALL things that we take in (as a community).

Make yourself at home, and enjoy! I hopoe that you have a lot of fun learning and teaching while you are here.

CD
    EACH 1 TEACH 1

9. kemetkind

Ratings:
    +61
    Welcome

Welcome to the forum brother. Your last sentence sums it all up. :explode: or get off the pot.