Black People : State of Michigan Discriminates Against Sister

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist

Michigan taxpayers may be on the hook for $12M after contractor accuses state of ruining her busines
www.myfoxdetroit.com
Bellandra Foster says she had a pretty good thing going helping to fix Michigan's roads until two state transportation officials decided to fix her. For good.

Michigan taxpayers may be on the hook for $12M after contractor accuses state of ruining her business

Michigan taxpayers may be on the hook for $12M after contractor accuses state of ruining her business

Posted: Nov 05, 2012 8:03 PM PSTUpdated: Nov 05, 2012 8:03 PM PST

By M.L. Elrick
Fox 2 News Investigative Reporter

DETROIT (WJBK) -- For years, Michigan governors have been trying to figure out how to hold onto the state's best and brightest and reverse the brain drain. So how is it that state officials are being accused of driving a trailblazing Ph.D. out of business and right out of Michigan?

Bellandra Foster says she had a pretty good thing going helping to fix Michigan's roads until two state transportation officials decided to fix her. For good.

Foster is leaving, but not by choice.

"It sadden me. It angered me. It frustrated me," she said.

By many measures, Foster is exceptional. She is a black female engineer in a field dominated by white men. And while others were fleeing Michigan's economic meltdown, she started a business in Detroit and she succeeded.

In 2008, she had 14 employees. The Michigan Department of Transportation even named her firm Disadvantaged Business Enterprise of the Year. It was the first time they handed out that award.

"I was growing, doing well. It was often said that BBF Engineering Services had the best people," Foster said.

But here's where our success story hits a pothole. Just as Michigan's economy began to improve, Foster's work for MDOT began drying up, but she couldn't figure it out at first.

"I had people working for me, I had people that needed jobs, so I kept bidding on work. That's what I did, I kept bidding on work," she said.

But Foster did more than that. She started asking questions just like you would if some bureaucrat said that you had to give up half of a $4 million contract you had won.

"I said, 'How come every time my company gets a contract, the cuts are always on the backs of my company?' He said, 'Well, I don't know anything about that.'"

Soon federal investigators started asking questions, too, and they didn't like the answers they found.

The feds say when Mark Steucher worked for the Michigan Department of Transportation, he changed Foster's bid evaluation to ace her out of a state contract. A federal investigator's report said Foster had the top score, but Steucher said, "oh no, I hate her" and changed it, robbing her at a shot of a $3 million deal.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MsInterpret Black Children : Michigan State football signee Jay Harris walks away from scholarship for rap career Black Children 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Short Stories : New book reveals Malcolm X secretly met the KKK to discuss setting up a ‘separate state’ for Black Americans Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
HODEE Black People Politics : State Laws Governing Early Voting - Pennsylvania for some reason isn't included Black People Politics 0
HODEE Black People Politics : DOES YOUR STATE PREPAY YOUR BALLOT POSTAGE _ Find out here... Black People Politics 0
G Black People Politics : Toppling Statues and Removing Racist State Flags Should Not be The legacy of The Untimely Demise of George Floyd Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Black Lives Matter activist Hawk Newsome on the current state of America Black People Politics 0
B The Front Porch : MUSICAL STATE OF EMERGANCY The Front Porch 1
HODEE Black People Politics : CA passed a startling State Senate Bill...SB1421 Black People Politics 0
candeesweet Black Poetry : State Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
O Black People Politics : The State of Power 2019 Black People Politics 1
Perfection Somalia : In Context Series: Mimesis & Mimicry in Dynamics of State & Identity Formation in Northern Somalia Somalia 0
Perfection Rwanda : In Context Series: British State Complicity in Genocide: Rwanda 1994 Rwanda 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Cops Investigate Attacks Against Jehovah's Witness Buildings In Washington State Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ├ѕтυdιeѕ in the 乙ulu┤Warfare, Leadership, State Formation: The Case of the Zulu Kingdom, 1808-1879 Black People Politics 0
Ndugu Black People : Voter Supression, in the birth state of the leader , that battled for the Voting Rights Act Black People Open Forum 1
J Black People Politics : Kidnap Violation International Law Hate Based State Abuse Black People Politics 4
IFE Black Positive People : Washington State University Scholar Cornelius Adewlale to be Awarded $100,000 Bullitt Environmental Black People Doing Positive Things 0
IFE Black People Politics : Washington State University Scholar Cornelius Adewlale to be Awarded $100,000 Bullitt Environmental Black People Politics 0
IFE Black Education / Schools : Black Girls Are Twice as Likely to Be Suspended, In Every State Black Education / Schools 0
Chevron Dove Science and Technology : Is the Solar Eclipse a State of Emergency? — HARVEY, IRMA & MEXICO… Science and Technology 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : The Total Eclipse Could Create A State Of Emergency Science and Technology 25
Destee Black People Politics : Charlottesville - State of Emergency - Violence - Unite the Right rally Black People Politics 85
R Black Poetry : itch for cake which state my mind drift clever but if ever I don't have plenty fun then // Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
R Black Poetry : itch for cake which state my mind drift clever but if ever plenty fun but if anyone discover the rea Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : National Urban League's 'State of Black America' shows educational, economic improvements Black Education / Schools 3
Liberty Law Forum : Does Florida’s Death Row overrepresent African Americans as state lawmaker says]? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : 1st-black-woman-on-state-s-highest-court-found-dead-by-river Black People Open Forum 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : THOMAS JEFFERSON WALL TO SEPARTE CHURCH & STATE: Was he influenced by Count Volney’s Ruins of the Em AACOOLDRE 3
Bennu-Sopdet The Front Porch : Current State of the Kemetic Community The Front Porch 4
Liberty Black People Politics : Here Is Why You Must Vote In Your State & Local Elections Black People Politics 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : the-state-departments-entire-senior-management-team-just-resigned Black People Politics 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : A Mormon for secretary of state??? AACOOLDRE 0
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : Florida-Voters-Kick-FL-State-Attorney-Angela-Corey-of-Zimmerman-Case-Fame-Out-of-Office Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Killing of MLK: "An Act of State" AACOOLDRE 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : The Supreme Court Just Ruled In Favor Of The Police State, And Sonia Sotomayor Is Not Having It Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 22
Babasola Black People : Are Black men at fault for the current state of affairs in Black America and what do you suggest we Black People Open Forum 20
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Former NC State teammate blasts Russell Wilson: "He was a 'me' player" Black Sports 0
R Black Poetry : to have real fate is an ideal state if it befalls earlier in life I pause // frequent becase of rece Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
sekou kasimu Black People : Why Vote In Local/State Elections But Not Presidential Elections? Black People Open Forum 0
$$RICH$$ Black Sports : GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS Black Sports 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : ST. Paul: minister for the state of Rome AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Mississippi divided: Battle over Confederate flag shifts to Magnolia State Black People Politics 13
RAPTOR Black People Politics : Wikileaks reveals Sony & US State Dept. mutual effort aimed at ISIS, Russia Black People Politics 123
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : Tennessee House votes to make Bible official state book Christian Study Group 5
RAPTOR Black People : Symbolism and State Violence and Women in Mama's Hip-Hop Kitchen Black People Open Forum 0
RAPTOR Black Spirituality Religion : Antiquities Scholar: Islamic State's Destruction of Museum & Library is Cultural & Ethnic Cleansing Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
chuck Black People : The State of Race Relations: Our Vs Their Takes? Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : It's Not Just About Detroit: Another State Of The Black Nation Overview Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : What Is The (Altered) State Of The (Black) Nation: 2014? Black People Open Forum 0
RAPTOR Law Forum : Sundiata Acoli, Convicted of Murdering State Trooper, To Be Released On Parole Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0