State of being a man vs. Doing what a man should do...

Actually...

HoneyBrown05 said:
I had asked this question because a lot of young men are being taught do things that a man should do like how to be masculine and the physical aspect of it and what is expected of them. But alot of them do not know the spiritual aspect of being a man and finding self. Alot of them struggle with knowing where they stand in society and finding their own purpose in life. So they follow images that they see in the media or the streets. Alot of them do not know how to accept Self and look for acceptance in the world. And I think that's when stereotypes come in.
I am just trying to get a better understanding for myself because I see alot of insecurity in our young black men.

I see many of todays youth just doing lousy imitations of what they think a man is/should be. Because they dont realize that both go hand in hand. These arent men. Unfortunately, many of them were raised without fathers or a male role model

HoneyBrown05 said:
My question to all my brothas out there is, " what does it mean to be a man?" Being a man and doing what a man does is often confused. I am very curious about what the difference is between the two because I am sure that there is a difference. I would love to get all of your opinions on this subject. :teach:
Here are some of the things (not all) I have learned over the years and from both male and female elders (some of them now ancestors):

A Man should be able to think on his feet.

A Man should have applicable skills to maintain his life in his environment, regardless of his profession or education.

A Man should protect his family, not just by taking physical or defensive postures, but also more or most importantly through wisdom and instruction.

A Man should be intuitive (this is slightly different from a women’s intuition …more of a unique protection, survival and innate hunting skill).

A Man should be innovated when utilizing leadership skills.

He should be unyielding to certain truths that he can back up and sometimes have more than opinions in certain matters; this is developed through some part study, some part “the continuity of the elders instructions or wisdom”, some part experience, and sometimes just being “in tune with what’s goin’ on” i.e., awareness (some call this an “African Way Of Knowing”). But to balance his forthrightness, he should understand that “flexibility is greater than strength” and with this in mind, if a man takes the most serious of matters “too seriously” he can blind his ability to reason.

“Many times the worker who tightens a screw to tight, can be more harmful than the one who doesn’t tighten the screw enough”

A Man should be spiritual…for a man without spiritual reflection or guidance is even a danger to even himself.

These are just a few principles that I have been taught and have tried to hone…but none of these principles can be properly grounded or practiced (if at all) if the woman or women in your life or community are not balanced with you. “The heartiest tree with the strongest of roots planted in infertile soil will not grow and will probably die”

For every principle that strengthens “true” Black manhood, there has to be a complimenting principle valued and practiced by a Black woman in order to have a productive relationship, family and children who are balanced also. Black men (and sisters also) need to interact with elders who are successful at being a man and other Brothers who are striving to be a man. Being a man is not a solo act and is way beyond being just “thug-tough” or being able to kick some-@ss or even having a wad of money in your pocket.

I always dare sisters to ask brothers who they are interested in as partners, “what’s your plan Black man”…most sisters refuse to ask this, for they fear they will hear something they can’t handle or digest…like something too heavy or doesn’t romance them…or they are usually afraid the brother really don’t have a plan (i.e., a clueless negro)…or even worse, the brother may in return exam the sisters true intentions or objectives and blow the flow of that good feelin’ and romantic illusion.

Peace,

Brother Sun Ship:cool:

HoneyBrown05 said:
My question to all my brothas out there is, " what does it mean to be a man?" Being a man and doing what a man does is often confused. I am very curious about what the difference is between the two because I am sure that there is a difference. I would love to get all of your opinions on this subject. :teach:
there are many women out there doing what a man should do.
they provide and protect the children.

i believe being an adult is when you take responsibility for what you do.

being a man could be being able to satisfy a woman. don't take satisfy lightly in this context. i mean in all the ways that she needs. spiritual, emotional, money, protection, comfort, leadership and so on. i once provided some spiritual leadership to a woman that i knew. she glowed with happiness that i was dealing with her on a level other than sexual. she became my friend.

Why is the Black man's "manhood" always being tested and questioned?

On average, no other race of men can whip us in a fight or last longer than us making love.

Those are what really separates men from women and men from boys.

Now if someone wants to question what TYPE of man we have become...fine...but there should be no questions about our manhood.

Dual Karnayn.....

"Why is the Black man's "manhood" always being tested and questioned?"

Because deep in the psyches of other men lies the realization that Black manhood is the pinnacle. Of course to measure ones own worth, they MUST get testy with the ultimate. O.K., with your Mystikal comment.....I'll just say the props go to the respectful BM who read this.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back