Black People : START SNITCHING!!!!

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by conflict, Jul 2, 2006.

1. conflict

conflict Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    This just crossed my mind and I wanted to know what people thought about it.
    Recently in Philadelphia, Pa a four year old girl was shot. Luckily she wasn't killed but what struck me was that during a news interview a woman said that she saw who did it but she wasn't going to tell the police because when her son was murdered twenty years ago nobody said anything.
    Should she tell what she knows?
    Should she stick to the code of the streets?
    What would you do?

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Conflict ... Hello and Welcome ... :wave:

We were having a discussion recently in our voice video chat, and it was said that if our Beloved Sister Assata Shakur had remained in the United States ... one of us would have turned her in. I understand that she's in Cuba, with a million dollar bounty on her head, and still free.

We have been so conditioned, to run to the man ... for a mere pittance of $25.00 for information leading to the arrest of ... when we know this system is not fair, right, or just to us.

While the story you've shared above tugs at the heart strings, i think we must look beyond the current law enforcement and judicial system, for solutions. Historically, they have been one of our grestest enemies, evidenced by their prisons being filled with our people. We must create our own, within our own, amongst our own.

Thanks for joining us. Please make yourself at home, because you are.

:heart:

Destee

3. conflict

conflict Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I never knew the story of Sister Assata but after reading your reply I searched for her story. Thanks for the enlightment.

4. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

Playas should be hated. They are nothing more than parasites and sociopaths

5. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Personally in that case....if I saw somebody shoot a kid , I'm reporting it....call me a snitch if ya want........I have a soft spot for kids and old folk.....to me that ain't snitching that's doing the right thing.......

Red

6. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    I agree!
    I have a nine year old and if anything like this occured somebody better tell me something if they saw it!!!!!!!!:flame:
    How could one sleep at night not reporting a killer of a child.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    the shooter was turned in and arrested.

8. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    Destee,

Now gurl, I will always see you as a person of great wisdom and understanding, but you have thrown me for a loop here and I mean a real big loop honey. Let's dialogue a little on this one.

You Said:

We have been so conditioned, to run to the man ... for a mere pittance of $25.00 for information leading to the arrest of ... when we know this system is not fair, right, or just to us.

I have to disagree to an extent with you on this. From what I've seen we have been conditioned NOT to speak up when we should. This is why we are losing so many of our children to violence...nobody wants to take a stand. This is why all the white folks come to OUR neighborhoods to buy their dope...nobody wants to take a stand. We simply turn our head the other way because we don't want to report it to the police. And so the problem escalates.

You Said:

While the story you've shared above tugs at the heart strings, i think we must look beyond the current law enforcement and judicial system, for solutions. Historically, they have been one of our greatest enemies, evidenced by their prisons being filled with our people. We must create our own, within our own, amongst our own.

Yes, I know that judicial system is putting our men in prison left and right...how well I know. It is pure modern day slavery, but Destee, when one of OUR children has been shot to death, that is totally different. If someone shot one of your children to death in a driveby, would you refuse the help of the law enforcement in bringing the killer to justice. Now you could get a private investigator to locate the person who did it and then blow them away with that shotgun you're holding in your hand up there...smile. But then the law would eventually find you and put you in the very prison that you so despise. So tell me dear, how do you propose that we create our own, within our own, amongst our own...tell me gurl.

9. That Jones Boy

That Jones Boy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Theres a couple of things about this case first up the mothers reasoning seems to be motivated by spite (no one did anything for her son so she isn`t going to do anything for this child)

Sure the cops can`t be trusted and are a tool of oppression no doubts about that, but I have too venture that in this case maybe morality has too outwiegh politics, if that trigger happy fool was (had been) left free maybe the next little kid that gets caught in his crossfire doesn`t get so lucky and dies.
    So unless its suggested that some kind of vigilantte justice gets served on the shooter then can`t see any other option than turning him in.
    so yes cops suck and can`t be trusted and are more known for making war on black people than protecting us.
    But maybe there are times when turning to them and hoping they for once do the right thing is the only way to protect innocent black folk from killers.
    Short of policing ourselves which doesn`t seem that viable at present since we don`t have jails and would run the risk of imprisionment in these situations then I can`t see any realistic alternate options.
    would love too hear any if anyone has some ideas though.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    Accused shooter found to be 13

"Vaughn Wylie was just two weeks past his 13th birthday when he allegedly squeezed off the shot that struck Nashay as she played near 22nd and Sigel streets in South Philadelphia early one evening last month. She nearly bled to death.

Wylie, who had been charged as an adult with attempted murder and aggravated assault, was scheduled for a preliminary hearing yesterday when prosecutor Beth McCaffery learned his true age. She immediately withdrew the adult charges against him so the offenses could be refiled in juvenile court.

Wylie's attorney, Michael Lovell, said the mistake in his client's age had been caused by confusion over differing dates on court records.

The Philadelphia district attorney's office had charged Wylie as an adult because of the seriousness of the crime: a stray bullet from a gunfight striking the little girl in a major artery in her leg. At 13, he's too young to be tried in adult court on those charges, Lovell said.

Common Pleas Judge John O'Grady also ordered the boy removed from the House of Corrections, where he has been held in a special wing for young defendants, and transferred to the Youth Study Center. Wylie was not in court yesterday.

"I'm relieved that they're not trying him as an adult," the boy's mother, Kim Wylie, said yesterday.

Wylie said she has spoken to her son just once since his arrest. She described him as "scared" in prison.

"Of course he's scared. He's just a baby," she said.

She also said she feared her son was being treated unfairly for the shooting. It's not right, she said, that the "grown man" - an 18-year-old who shot at her son during the gunbattle - has not been arrested in the case.

"Everybody knows who he is... the cops know who he is," she said.

Police have said that the investigation was continuing and that they expect another arrest.

Although the street was filled with people on June 13 when the gunfire erupted, no witnesses came forward to finger Nashay's assailants.

Nashay, nicknamed Sha Sha, was playing outside while her mom was visiting a friend in the neighborhood. Police said an argument had broken out between two teens standing on the corner. They both fired, police said.

After cops released a photo of the little victim and began pushing for information, witnesses appeared to soften and slowly began providing identifications. Wylie was arrested two weeks after the shooting.

Nashay is recuperating at home.

Throughout his arrest and incarceration, Kim Wylie said, her young son has been treated like an adult criminal.

"I feel bad about the baby that got shot, but they're railroading my baby," she said.

When asked how he had gotten his hands on a gun, Wylie responded:

"Who knows where these kids get these guns from?""