Black People : Standing Up For People You Do Not Know - Ever Done It?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

It was mentioned on da kitchen table recently, that there are folk who stand up for people they do not know. It seemed to be said in a negative way, as if doing such a thing is a negative ... though i suppose it could be both negative and positive ... depending on the circumstances, persons involved, etc.

Anywho ... it made me think of the fact that i do this all the time ... stand up for folk that i do not know. I will stand up for a Black Person quick, fast, and in a hurry, that inclination seems to be all deep down inside of me, automatic even.

Standing up for people i don't know is a big part of my responsibility in this community, for i don't know most Members personally but i will stand up for, defend, and even fight for every single one to be respected here, share their opinion, a host of things ... even if i don't know them or agree with the positions they proffer ... no matter what color they are, life choices made, etc.

I don't have to know a person to stand up for them.

If i saw someone being mistreated in public, i'd probably stand up for them there too, to the degree that i could safely do so. For example, if a couple were fighting in public, the man is beating the mess out of the woman ... i'd probably not jump in and defend her ... i've seen too many times when the woman then turns on the person trying to help, with both of them beating on the person that jumped in ... no ... i wouldn't probably do that ... but i'd certainly call for help.

I think it's a natural inclination to help another if you see them in distress or in need of assistance that you might be able to provide ... but that might be dead in some of us ... maybe helping others so much, you're tired, wore out, just can't do it anymore ... have grown jaded, cynical, and ... well ... just aint no good in this department no moe ... iono ... heart has hardened ... a host of things it could be i reckon ... up to and including ... it aint no natural inclination in us and there is something wrong with me ... :wink:

Either way ... what's your thots on this topic?

Have you ever stood up for someone you did not know?

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Ohhhh ... another example that has come to mind ... is when you see a parent just screaming and being mean, almost mistreating the baby in the grocery store ... oh my gosh ... po' baby only looked at the skittles ... and the parent is snatch'n 'em ... maybe even hitt'n 'em ... just bein' way over the top krazee ... and the po' baby aint got no help ... my heart just dies in these situations ... i know it aint really nuth'n i can do ... no matter what ... the child has to go home with the parent and it's problee best not to make it no worse for the baby ... trying to add my "standing up for them" to the mix ... plus ... you know folk be krazee when it comes to their babies and somebody tell'n 'em how to raise 'em ... Lawd Lawd Lawd

Katt Williams "Your baby's supposed to like skittles"

i've seen this type of situation and didn't speak up for the baby ... of course, no blood had been drawn ... and if it had got bad enuff i wooda called for help ... or even others in the store might have done the same, called the police ... though i've never seen it rise to that level.

Don't be beat'n all on your babies in da grocery stores ... please ... gosh ... po babies.

Love You!

Destee

3. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    I just read the Kitchen Table comments and I think I see what the issue at hand may be. I will put it like this for me, I will agree with a post a member makes if it is truly something I believe. If there are conversations going on and I want to input my lint in my pocket I will do so and if it falls in line with anyone else's thought processes so be it, if not c'est la vie.

Now if I have dealt with an entity over the internet for a while (I am not talking about friends that you personally know and also converse on the internet with) and I realize in my opinion that this person appears to have been about who they are the whole route and history of dealing with that entity then I may interject at times to say something in their defense. Where I would draw the line (and this is myself personally) is when there are constant barrages where that person does not feel like responding to the antagonist(s) for whatever reason I would not take it upon myself to continuously fight their battles on their behalf and they already have let it be. They are their own person and should be able to handle their own biz for the most part in a situation. Basically in the end if you have not met the person in person on a few occasions and hung out with them (because even a one-off meeting really would not tell you much) then you only have their words posted to go by.

This is my take on things and how I approach things of this nature and if someone thinks I am off-base on my thinking then so be it.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother houserunner ... thanks for the response ... it seems there is more to da kitchen table shoutouts than meets da eye ... lol ... i figured as much ... but i don't care enuff to dig way down deep in nuth'n ... i tend to stay on the surface, less'n it's absolutely necessary i do otherwise ... :look:

yeah ... there are certainly times when i do good to stand for just my own self ... but those are all calls each of us make individually ... when we stand and when we don't ... and if we are willing to pay the cost of doing so ... fa shizzle ... :)

i aint mad at those that are willing to go thru for and with another, if that is their hearts desire

i feel like i'm talk'n all around sump'n i don't know nuth'n about ... :lol: ... yet ... i'm on da money anyway ... :wink:

:weights:

:lol:

Love You Brother!

Destee

5. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    First I read this thread then I read the Table. Two different concepts. As to standing up for strangers, I do it often. Boys are fighting, I might get in the middle and intervene. Might.

As with the Kitchen, MsInterpret seems to be against people commenting according to garnering likes rather than commenting from their own voice, looking for compliments and ego strokes rather than expression, being fake. In my view it's just individualism, but I've no reason to debate that.

6. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    I know there were times Queen D and others have came and stood up for me (thank ya) and there were those times the queen had to scold me (quietly) having me running and :hide:. It's all good, gotta learn one way or another...

I have stood up for folks when needed to. Most of the time i be thinking someone ( ABSiblings ) with better vocabulary would be best to respond when there's heat (yall know who you are, *cough cough, info-moetry *) in the kitchen. See, thats how i learn what words to use. and if it gets too hot, then i can't hold myself then here i go :censored:and thats seldom i do that...

7. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    I have stood up for people when it was needed to do so. I won't do it all the time.. for fear i might be the one to get hurt...

8. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Lol - is this thread about info-moetry ms v.?

But since the cats out the bag, maybe youd like to edit your post and show some proof of what I stand accused of.

Btw, I'm cool in hells kitchen. .. *wink*

9. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    yes i have and i almost got my a## beat. lol there was this girl the guy was beating and literally dragging by her hair and she was crying, and then i stopped my car, got out and yelled him to "stop! or im calling the police" he started cussing me out so i got my a## back into my car, called the cops and the cops arrived and i left. this was in St. Louis maybe about 6 years ago.

10. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    I've stood up for many people, but half of the time you end up asking yourself why when u see the individual continue down the same path.

About the children being beaten in grocery stores, interferring can and will get you cut. Ifbthe mother is beating the child for lookingvst a pack of skittles, whst do you think she will do to a complete strangerbin a state of rage?