Black Teenagers : SSTUDY SHOWS TEENS LACK FINANCIAL LITERACY

Discussion in 'Black Teenagers - Teenz Exprezzed!' started by KWABENA, Apr 7, 2006.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
  2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Brother Cedric, the link didn't work for me. Can you post it again or another one?

Thanks,
    Queenie :spinstar:

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I will do what I can Sistah Queenie.

CD

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Thank you, Bro. Cedric because I would really like to read the information. If our youth lack financial literacy, then my question is where are they supposed to be taught it and by whom?

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    That is true Sis. Queenie. Also, I believe it was a week of two after that article when I began to ask people at random is they have heard of any program(s) that teach our young people financial literacy. Much to my surprise, none of them knew any programs that do such.

My thing is, as far as the article, I think the intent was geared toward INFORMING people of the "problem" without establishing a "solution" to the "problem." That is what caused people like me to step up and think of something.

After searching through, (I can't believe Yahoo! didn't have it) I was able to find the following:

http://calag.ucop.edu/0202MA/pdfs/teenfinance.pdf

Nevermind...I think I found it! http://biz.yahoo.com/usat/060405/13494978.html?.v=1

Check and see if it works.

CD

6. evab88

evab88 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I can't get my dad to leave me alone about finances and freaking MSNBC haha... But about the kids learning about money, I used to work in a library for about three years and there is SO much material available directed at all reading levels...

Taken from wikipedia.com
    "A public library is a library which is accessible by the public and is generally funded from public sources (such as tax monies). Public libraries exist in most nations of the world and are often considered an essential part of having an educated and literate population."

I checked out a few books on finances and they were very informative. Sometimes you have to teach yourself... It sucks.

I'm pretty sure the Hip Hop Summit has a financial literacy program once a year that is advertised on BET and MTV:
    http://www.hsan.org/content/main.aspx?pageid=28

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Hello again, my fellow young Sistah.

We have surpassed the Information Age. Be that as it may, there is no question about the level of resources available to youth on Financial Literacy. However, the problem is the fact that there is little to no follow-up on Financial Education...a small level of 'interactive engagement' when it comes to teaching youth how to manage their finances.

Moreover, you may have to teach yourself, but therein lies the question as to what it takes to learn it, practice it, and formulate the habit of being smart with money.

Thanks again Sistah for your input. Please continue to share, as the information shared will be helpful to someone sooner or later.

MK