Law Forum : Spring Valley Is Everywhere: When Being A Black Girl Is Your Only Crime - Join Us Tuesday, Nov 3

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015

We are outraged by the unconscionable act of violence committed in a Spring Valley math class this past Monday

We know that violence against Black girls and women is not new; it is the same violence that brutalized
Salecia Johnson, Diamond Neals, Mikia Hutchinson, and Dajerria Becton. The vicious bodily assault on the young Black high school student is indicative of the ways that Black women and girls throughout society encounter state violence on a daily basis. This system extends beyond Spring Valley and threatens Black girls across the United States.

Join the African American Policy Forum next Tuesday November 3rd at 12pm EST for a webinar on Black girls and discipline entitled, "Spring Valley is Everywhere: When Being A Black Girl is Your Only Crime."

This webinar will amplify the voices of young women who have been impacted by overly punitive discipline policies, educators who have witnessed the criminalization of Black girls in schools, scholars who have researched the gendered and racialized dimensions of the School to Prison Pipeline, and more.
Speakers will include:

Kimberle Crenshaw- The African American Policy Forum
Je'Kendria Trahan- Black Youth Project, DC
Amanda Petteruti- Co-author of “The Case Against Police in Schools,” a report from the Justice Policy Institute
Kisha Webster- Educator and Youth Advocate
Samantha Master- Planned Parenthood Federation of America
And more….
If you or your child has experienced overpolicing in schools, please send us an email at info@aapf.org. We want to hear your story!
#SpringValleyIsEverywhere #BlackGirlsMatter

Register or Read more@

h
ttp://www.aapf.org/spring-valley-is-everywhere

We are outraged by the unconscionable act of violence committed in a Spring Valley math class this past Monday

We know that violence against Black girls and women is not new; it is the same violence that brutalized
Salecia Johnson, Diamond Neals, Mikia Hutchinson, and Dajerria Becton. The vicious bodily assault on the young Black high school student is indicative of the ways that Black women and girls throughout society encounter state violence on a daily basis. This system extends beyond Spring Valley and threatens Black girls across the United States.

Join the African American Policy Forum next Tuesday November 3rd at 12pm EST for a webinar on Black girls and discipline entitled, "Spring Valley is Everywhere: When Being A Black Girl is Your Only Crime."

This webinar will amplify the voices of young women who have been impacted by overly punitive discipline policies, educators who have witnessed the criminalization of Black girls in schools, scholars who have researched the gendered and racialized dimensions of the School to Prison Pipeline, and more.
Speakers will include:

Kimberle Crenshaw- The African American Policy Forum
Je'Kendria Trahan- Black Youth Project, DC
Amanda Petteruti- Co-author of “The Case Against Police in Schools,” a report from the Justice Policy Institute
Kisha Webster- Educator and Youth Advocate
Samantha Master- Planned Parenthood Federation of America
And more….
If you or your child has experienced overpolicing in schools, please send us an email at info@aapf.org. We want to hear your story!
#SpringValleyIsEverywhere #BlackGirlsMatter

Register or Read more@

h
ttp://www.aapf.org/spring-valley-is-everywhere

Please do give us an update about this too

And thanks again

fyi

Who do you think is more affected by the School to Prison Pipeline? I ask, because I am a bit confused on why this situation has to focus on one gender. Would not the boys in that same pipeline in larger numbers need help too? I would think coming together as men and women to protect our children would create a stronger voice.

*sigh*

This question has come up over and over when programs such as My Brother's Keeper were established. My opinion is that the question is unintentionally divisive.

Some issues are better dealt with by separation of gender to keep focus on critical issues. When you mix genders nature takes course and there tends to be distraction.

AA are all in need of attention in these areas. We are not in a competition. I feel that it is good and right that brothas are stepping up to help brothas, and sistas are stepping up to help sistas, too. Yes, it's ok if some programs help both as well. But, I am not offended if all programs don't. JMO.

Violent SC Arrest Reflects How African-American Girls Are Disproportionately Disciplined in Schools, Study Author Says

The recent violent arrest of an African-American girl at Spring Valley High School in Columbia, South Carolina, is prompting outrage on social media under the hashtag #AssaultAtSpringValley, and activists say the incident is just one piece of the larger problems of institutionalized racism and the school-to-prison pipeline.

SchoolDiscipline_20151029.png

http://abcnews.go.com/US/violent-sc...proportionately-disciplined/story?id=34824293

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back