Black Spirituality Religion : Spousal battery and the Yusuf Ali translation of the Holy Qur'an

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Ictoan Itkfae, May 2, 2014.

1. Ictoan Itkfae

Ictoan Itkfae Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +36
    Peace Family (my Black Brothers and Sisters,)

First, I want to say that I have heard what was purportedly a tape of a Muslim preacher saying that it is OK to physically strike your wife; AND I have also heard what was purportedly a tape of a different Muslim preacher saying that it is NOT OK to physically strike your wife. I want to say that in all fairness. But if anyone has ever read the Yusuf Ali translation of the Holy Qur'an, which to my knowledge is the #1 prefered translation of that book in Orthodox Islam, the reader did indeed read this:

"...As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly);..." Chapter 4:34

Every translation of this verse of the Holy Qur'an does not say "beat them;" the M. Muhammad Ali translation says "chastise them," which obviously does not necessarily mean physically beating them. It is also important I think to note that scholars of the Arabic language say that the Arabic that is spoken today in the Arab world is not the same Arabic as was spoken when the Holy Qur'an was revealed, so the true meaning of the Arabic in chapter 4:34 is not necessarily known.

But I want to say, my point of this thread is to say, since spousal battery is not legal in America, I think that the American government should OUTLAW all translations of the Qur'an that say to beat your wife. We can have freedom of religion but we can't have religious books that teach people to break our laws and do things like beat women.

Would you like to see translations of the Holy Qur'an that say beat your wife outlawed in America?

Peace & Love,
    Bro. Ictoan

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    [​IMG]

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    According to my translation by Maulana Wahiduddin Khan, "This signifies a symbolic act, as the Prophet forbade the beating of woman saying, Never beat God's handmaidens.