Black Poetry : Spit Upright

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by MADDRAPPER, Apr 13, 2002.

1. MADDRAPPER

MADDRAPPER Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Spit Upright

Grab freaks in the collar like a Greek scholar
    Make a creep holler my girl sweet in the beauty parlor
    Throttle like Aristotle quote introduction bring smoke
    On corruption, master rapper in this chapter will choke
    You after listening to my Ghetto Blaster //
    Rap and politics will slap you quick like a Karate class
    Nobody can last it’s like a party blast so pass a knotty glass
    Of gin let the drinking task begin, phenomenon how creatures
    Share the same common features //
    Such as microphones and territory, ice cream cones a love story
    This is thug glory, above the rim like Robert Horry
    This the most correct term to protect your perm like bees wax
    Rap sprees max face its ballistics with basic characteristics like tax
    Have a right to rule hate to fight a fool things so tight not cool
    Must not be confused and trust the hot news from TV crews
    Political division is a critical mission gives freedom the blues
    This morning ate my wheaties and negotiates treaties with a C.E.O.
    Overturned laws and burned flaws with firm claws not a VIP doe
    HIP HOPTION is an ADOPTION not an OPTION see and knows
    Blazing society with an amazing variety of funk
    From our car trunk too far a chump can’t see this find a stump
    Or tree piss like a dog, rhyme spree lump up and twist like dialogue
    Mist is the same as fog; clog your stink brain like a sink drain
    Why you think lame I’m on the brink of fame

MADDRAPPER PEACE

2. brotherman

brotherman Well-Known Member MEMBER

IT Tech
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dog, I be trying to feel you but sometimes it seems as if you are inputting words to rhyme and I can't follow --sound like you are freestyling and freestyles aren't written they are off the top and it doesn't matter where you throw a word in. So in the light of constructive criticism, you may want to structure it more because I try to peep everybody's post and yours thus far is the most difficult to me to understand your "point and case". Feel me? I just think that I am the only one willing to say it.

3. OneTyme.

OneTyme. Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I Dig!

Because Ya flo out of flo to flo what ya know!!
    Just Flo!! I flo!! Get yo flo on...Ya dig!!:eek:

4. GQ

GQ Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States Air Force
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bra-Man,

Respectfully disagree with your comment that you think you are the only one willing to say anything about MADD's flow...

MADD is a flowologist and to me, his rhymes do just that flow...how many rappers can you (generally speaking) actually decipher and analyze their spit? I'd venture to say not too many...

The brotha is flowin' like he knows and that is a kewl thang!!!

Personally I just appreciate his creative vernacular minus a critique cause it appears the brotha has some lyrical skills...

Not a debate, just my thoughts...

MADD - flow on brotha!!!

:peace:
    GQ

5. brotherman

IT Tech
    Ratings:
    +1
    GQ -Thanks for the stepping up, cause dialog deserves dialog. Check it -I am a -from "day one", hip hop head, specifically characterized as an emcee. "Rappers" rhyme, emcees spit with preciseness. keeping it layman, that goes to say that when an emcee put it down, it ain't nothing less than a cypher because it has a plot and direction. Freestyling is the "credible" flip side of emceeing because of the level of difficulty to come off the domepiece sporatically -"live"... and even then, to maintain some type of structure. Because of that distinction, Madd's flow was identified as, more less, a freestyle in structure (but written). My critique was not to disengage his post but to draw attention it from an emcee's point of view. If we weren't in destee's but another hip hop environment where the artform operates on a total different set of rules -I would've been setting the stage for a battle with what "rappers" as well as "emcees" expect when they evaluate styles. But this is a site for expression, thought provoking, and growth -not thalandz, daveyd's, or any other site that hip hoppas battle. Thanks for the reply, because it gave me an opportunity to make the distinction between rapping, emceeing, and freestyling. By the way, I seemed to have found a flaw with your...ha ha, just phukkin wit'cha dog, you know I haven't seen anything yet that even comes close to a warranting a critique. I'll holla.

Madd -if you are real to the rap game, you already knew this -all the foresaid was for those who may not have known. You know how we do. Peace.

6. GQ

United States Air Force
    Ratings:
    +3
    I feel ya Bra-Man!!!!

Nothing like some kewl *** dialogue among family!!!

GQ

7. Nia Maishani

Nia Maishani Well-Known Member MEMBER

Business Owner
    Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
    Ratings:
    +1
    With due respect to all, I must say in MADDRAPPER'S defense, I am of the opinion that there ARE NO RULES when it comes to true Art, be it rap, spoken word, poetry or what have you. Art is whatever moves the Artist. Additionally, true Art--the best Art--is that which stumps many, yet gets some to feel as the Artist feels. It breaks rules, and engages the interest. I'm not sweating the Brother, but I personally am entertained, even amused by MADDRAPPER flows, and I am feeling the messages splashed throughout.

:luv:in' it!

:laugh: Boast on, Cuz.

And you know this!

Hey, it's open to interpretation, and I'm diggin' it. :)

8. brotherman

IT Tech
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, I am loving this...!

That's why it is called a forum and so shall this discussion continue. Yes, no doubt, you found "elements" of Madd's message. He was entertaining as well, true dat. But my critique was not based on if his art was acceptable or unnaceptable. My critique was based on STRUCTURE -not personal beliefs on what true art is and isn't. That, hopefully, will never have a need for debate. Now that you've pointed out some direction in his piece, seeing that he got some tight verses, go back and read what my critique was about (inputting words to make it rhyme...ex. "Throttle like Aristotle"). Hip Hop was a created by us and definitely -there are standards and rules that may not be literally enforced by legislators but definitely enforced by our own definition of what freestyle, written, rapping, and emceeing is. You need to only -attempt to title yourself, an emcee/rapper and post in a emcee/rapper site, and understand what standards you'll be held to. Your opinion of art will get desintegrated by cats artfully -not personally -challenging you to elevate above what you think your skill level may or may not be. I am trying to tell ya'll, Madd know what I am talking about --that's why he hasn't respond because he knows I wasn't diss'n behind the guise of a critique...so stop trying to hold that man's hand -we hip hop and got an understanding.

Please Madd -say something!!!!

9. GQ

United States Air Force
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bra-Man,

I think the mere fact that there was a critique at all is what caught my eye at first. Whether or not MADD considers himself an emcee/rapper/freestylist or the like is irrelevant and surely is of his own opinion - would you say that's a fair statement?

Granted, while I agree this is a forum where things are discussed I do feel that on this particular forum entitled Get Your Flow On, the brotha was doing just that...getting his flow on...up until now, no one has been critiquing from the standpoint of interpretation of a poet's/poetess's personal style or meaning of their flow.

Perhaps a PM to MADD may have been more appropriate (although I'm not saying that it definitely was the direction to go since your understanding of this is this a discussion forum), but to be more or less called out via a public forum may not be too kewl for some.

No, Bra-Man, no one's holding MADD's hand here at all...there is healthy dialogue abound for sure, but perhaps this type of dialogue is better suited for the Open Forum threads...

Here in Get Your Flow On, I think cousins just want to simply flow in their own way without the scrutiny...

Love this dialogue as well though!!!! :toast:

GQ

10. brotherman

IT Tech
    Ratings:
    +1
    Aiight Speaker of the House, I will take your opinion to heart and make it a point to restrain from speaking on someone's stlye of presentation, if it is not exactly what they expect to hear. I thought I made it clear what I was pointing to but I guess individuals ain't ready for the mirror.

I apologize to you publicly, Maddrapper, if I have offended thee, because obviously there is a consensus (or is there?) to "criticize not".

Everybody came to the rescue except you Madd --let us know how "you feel" about my critique (agree, disagree, agree with the method, or what?) Then I will lay it to rest on my end. Holla if ya hear me.

To you all, I appreciate the coming forward and standing "Upright" in what you feel is right. I lose no respect for anyone representing self -just runners and you are definitely not running from what you feel here. Holla as if we never had the spat, no doubt.