Black Spirituality Religion : Spirituality vs Religion?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Music Producer, May 28, 2008.

1. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    What do you see as the difference?

Spirituality = ??

Religion = ??

How, when and can they coalesce?

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother Music Producer ... some years ago, i started a thread titled ... Should We Divide Our Spirituality / Religion Forum.

I don't know if you were here then or not, but it probably has a lot of posts within it, that speak to your questions.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

3. MenNefer

MenNefer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Re-ligion is a man made template and is proximal in its FUNCTION...it is like an Azimuth as in it ASSIST one in approximating (finding the position of) that which cannot be reproduced by machinations, ie Spirit.

Sprituality is organic and untethered by intellectualisms or cultural contrivancies .....it is the WHAT IS that ideologies and or religions try to reify or abstract.

I think they can coalesce when it becomes obvious that someones cultural construction of religion has become dominant over others and hence its members have completely been thrown off track from "connecting" with *that* (spirituality) which is happening right under their nose. It becomes viable in the case where the masses have been abstracted(religioned) from the organicity of themselves and placed into a proverbial petrie dish in order to validate someones (white peoples') worldview. Religion then becomes useful exclusively for its function of reversing that process and syphoning (rites of passage is a religion; in function) individuals back into a space where they can intimately and individually align themselves with the "naturalness" of "spirituality" and hence culture which traditionally was not separate. HTP

4. Music Producer

Ratings:
    +94
    If I meditate does that make me Spiritual, Religious or both?

5. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    Religion is the same as politics..... it can be one thing one day.. but if that don't work u just change it ........

for example,

no one wants to be a "priest" anymore (hmmmm wonder why) .. so now they're may let em get married..............

I can join a religion.. so long as I follow their rules.......

Spirituality....

is the opposite of that..

and when the difference is realized they may be balanced.. and you'll know because you yourself will feel better........

this question seems to repeat as Sister Destee said....

and I just don't understand what's so difficult...

to grasp even.........

6. Music Producer

Ratings:
    +94
    How does one achieve or begin Spirituality?

7. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    by being real, true, and honest with yourself....

it's like getting in touch with a part of yourself that no one else has access to....

u can tell me anything.. i can tell u anything... anyone can tell anyone anything....

but there is a place in each of us where the truth lies......

and there is a place in each of us where it exists.....

it's our own place to find... where is it..

it's where u feel that overwhelming consuming "feeling"... that makes u notice everything.... u start to sense without physical sensation....

it's a feeling like an orgasm.... u don't know what it is until it happens to you, and when it does you change........ and u never wanna look back ...

that's the best i can do to explain it...........

8. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:and a very good explanation it is, too!! Thank You!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

and when one gets to that place, be ye not surprised to find that the "you-Africa" is right there too!!

in other words, getting to, and living in/from, that space will be the end of the Back2Africa journey!

9. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    like energy, or, if you will, "God": there is no "achieving" or "beginning" Spirituality - it simply IS.

it is only for one to find It within one's Self.

10. Music Producer

Ratings:
    +94
    I have always been that. I am a man of science and the study of electronics. In these fields one must always be real and true. If not then most circuits you build or design will burn up.

I have never experienced anything like an orgasm in that sense. All though I admit when I fix circuits that no one else could fix or when I build something and it works the first time there is a feeling of gratitude and satisfaction but nothing like an orgasm.

So how did you discover your spirituality?