Black Spirituality Religion : Spiritual Research - Is it Safe?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Destee, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Everyone,

My love for God has come, primarily, as a direct result of the way I was raised ... faithfully believing what my parents and their parents believed. I never had any real inclination to study and better understand other theologies or the fact that some folk don't believe in God at all.

Now, with the Internet, and most every religion, theology, etc., available at the click of a button ... I've been reading more and have learned much regarding others (that don't believe anything like I do). I personally think it's wonderful ... yet I've visited some "spiritual" sites that troubled my spirit immediately upon entering them! :eeek:

Which makes me wonder, is it safe for a person that believes (whatever they believe) to study others and their "religion?" Would a person be putting themselves in harm's way, spiritually, by absorbing other people's spiritual thoughts, ways of thinking, etc., into their mind and spirit ... via the reading of words?

What do you think?

:heart:

Destee

2. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    sup Sweet Destee.

Studying other religions and doctrines are something all Christians should do.
    Since our faith should be firm, we would not be swayed one way or the other.

Plus l would assume that your love for God also comes by personal experiences instead of simply through family legacy of beliefs.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Haaaay J'hiah :love:

Why should we study other faiths, if we are firm in our own?

Why give the devil an avenue by which to gain entrance into our thoughts and minds by venturing into areas that are not what God would have us think and believe?

I'm not being argumentative ... well ... I am sorta ... but in a good way :) I'm asking questions that I've asked myself and would love your response. I do agree that studying different faiths seems like a good thing, just wondering if there is any danger in it. For an example (an extreme one, no offense intended) ... do I visit a crack house, full of crack addicts every day, so I can understand them better? Do I go into the crack house, day after day ... "studying" them ... trying to understand them? Am I putting myself in harm's way by doing this (aren't the chances greater that I'll become an addict by being around them vs not being around them?).

And yes, God has blessed me with many personal testimonies of my own. I was just saying that's where it all started, with my family.

I was hoping there was some scripture that spoke to this topic specifically. If you are aware of it, please let me know.

Thanks for responding J'hiah, looking forward to more.

:heart:

Destee

4. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Well-Known Member MEMBER

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11
    Studying different religion sects and doctrines should be done,IMHO, before we commit our lives to any particular one, then after that commitment, I think we should then dedicate ourselves to that commitment.

I believe you would be putting yourself in harm's way if you are already committed to a religion and study others. It's hard enough understanding what is necessary to stay strong in one and when you start looking at other, you WILL extract something from them that would raise questions about your own.

In a simpler analogy...How safe is a marriage if one of the spouses start "studying" other people? Religion is a committed relationship between you and your God...if you're studying others, you're not studying the one you're in, eventually the relationship will weaken. Just a thought.

5. j'hiah

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    Destee,

thanx to you this will be 2day's bible study :thanks:
    it's good to fight every now and then :fight:

l'm not revvun ike but here's a sort of relative response:

it seem as though Paul was very familiar with other doctrines and theology as well as others (Gal. 1:6-11). :book:
    What Abraham, Moses, Solomon, etc... have in common is they all were either affiliated, well-learned and acquainted with other ethnic and religious backgrounds, yet stood firm to the one God.

ln knowing our Saviour, the devil in fact loses entrance not so much as in our thoughts and minds, but to our faith.
    lt is interesting to me to know other religions b/c #1--
    perhaps God gives us the avenue to gain entrance into their hearts with His Sword.
    If anything God would have us "study to show ourselves approved, rightly dividing the word of truth" (2 Tim: 2:15, kjv)
    (try the NIV). :book:
    it's like the break of dawn, so to speak and how the Sun slowly makes it entrance permeating and eliminating the night...
    We are the Sun.

The danger you mentioned lies in one's own doubt to begin with. It is very dangerous for me to go into a crackhouse to "study" them. they're crackheads; what's there to study ? :yo:
    but to elaborate on your lst paragraph questions:

it is not safe to study neither understand other doctrines when you don't study or understand the God's doctrine.
    lt is only safe when you are sure and convinced; otherwise, you'll be hittin dat pipe :smokin: :weird:
    Some beliefs are morally and practically interesting (Qu'ran, Tao, etc...) (however "good works" doesn't get you in but the right spirit does. )
    knowledge of itself is addicting b/c the mind as God designed it to be is made for inquiry, curiosity, researching, and finally, finding.
    When we find the One Truth, only It is addictive.
    Also to constantly be around crack addicts, day after day suggests that you might be wantin' to get your purple haze on.. :D (not you personally)
    day after day, a study and understanding would lean more to what i believe, not what i don't believe.

hope this helps.
    l have read your poetry and can tell that God has acted on your part...

in the meantime, i'm finding more scriptures for you.

nfinite love...
    jh.

6. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    "...is it safe for a person that believes (whatever they believe) to study others and their 'religion?' Would a person be putting themselves in harm's way, spiritually, by absorbing other people's spiritual thoughts, ways of thinking, etc., into their mind and spirit ... via the reading of words?"

Careful study of the Essene Scrolls from the caves by the Dead Sea – confirmed by the Egyptian Gnostic codices from Nag-Hammadi – reveals Jesus to have not only been well-versed in the knowledge and cultures of Egypt, Ethiopia, Persia, India, Greece and Rome, a wide traveler and a great teacher, but also an original, independent thinker; a dedicated existential empiricist – in the midst of absolutionists – ever deliberately seeking new truth by observation and experimentation, even unto death...

7. j'hiah

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    Aqil,

And then he concluded, "I am the way, the truth, and the light."

8. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Re: Jehiah's comment...

"Aqil,

And then he concluded, 'I am the way, the truth, and the light.'"

Jehiah,

Those are not Jesus' exact words. Here is the scripture:

"Thomas said, 'Lord, we don't even know where you are going! How can we know the way?'"

"'I am the way, the truth and the LIFE!' Jesus answered. 'Without me, no one can go to the Father.'"

(John 14:5-6)

9. j'hiah

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    Right Aqil. Even better.

10. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Jehiah's comments...

Those are the words of ALL of the prophets, Jehiah...:)