Black People : Spinning Off of Oldsoul's Message

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Jan 21, 2006.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    We think of Jim Crow as an evil system. We think we have come a long way and are much better off now than we were prior to the '60's. But in light of what brotha OldSoul taught us abut assets and liabilities, are we really?

Let me clarify for a minute. Some people will get fixated on the evils of Jim Crow and miss what I am saying. I'm not referring to the lynchings and burnings and bombings associated with old Mr. Crow. I am only referring to the economic opportunities that in our ignorance we were unable to see and have now lost in our current chase after the integrated dollar.

For those who missed the brotha's outstanding presentation Thursday night let me give you the gist of the message as it pertains to what I'm trying to say.

Brotha OldSoul pointed out to us that the difference between the wealthy and the poor is not money. They can both have money. In fact, for many of us the abundance of money can blind us to just how poor we really are.

The difference between the wealthy and the poor, the brotha informed us, is how they use money. The wealthy use money to buy a$$ets. The poor use money to buy liabilities. An a$$et is something that will pay for itself and bring a profit above and beyond not only the initil cost but also its maintainance and overhead. A liablility is anything that costs money to have without bringing in ebough money to offset its cost. For instance, a car is a liability because it costs money to own a car. On the otherhand, a well run hotel or farm can be an a$$et in the right economic environment.

What I'm saying is before integration we had more a$$ets than we do now. Today any Black person who considers himself wealthy can look around and find that all he really owns are liabilities. This is why whites don't mind giving us money cause they know they will get it right back when we spend it.

Under segregation we had our own stores, our own restaurants, our own hospitals, our own schools, our own everything because we weren't allowed to use what the white man had. Once Jim Crow was lifted and we were free to at least imagine that we could do what we wanted if we had only realized the value of what was already our own and worked on it to make it better we would have something by now. We wold have much more valuable a3$$ets than we do now. Instead we threw what was our own away and went after what belonged to the white man.

As brotha Pan told me that just opens the door for discrimination. No matter how much cash I have if I am in someone else's store they can refuse to serve me. However, no one can discriminate against me in my own store because it's mine.

You say Blacks don't support their own. WEll, what's it gonna take to change that--the return of Mr. Crow? Or maybe we don't have to wait for self-sufficiency to be imposed on us. Maybe we can procur it on our own terms.

Nobody has freedom handed to them on a silver platter. Even the white man had to fight the British. Even a baby has to force its way into the world. If we as a people responded to being born the same way we respond to our economic situation we would die in the womb.

2. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I'd like to hear from y'all about this. I'd especially like to hear from all of you.

3. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Excellent post sis.....

Another thing I think we had a wealth of before integration was MORALS & VALUES.

I wasn't around back 50 years ago, but I still remember back in Detroit when somebody died and our family had to go down South or to the Island for a while, your neighbors would watch your house or apartment and make sure no one broke in.

The entire neighborhood would wave you off as you left, and we couldn't come back without a few solveneirs or flowered shirts for presents.

Today, they're liable to creep in and take some solveneirs even when you declared you ain't went no d*mn where.

Amen?

Today...cats be peeping out the key-hole and watching your house when you don't want them too.

That's why I had to leave Detroit, too many cats all up in my business.

Everytime I leave to go to work...YOU THERE with your boys.
    When I get back...YOU THERE with your boys grinning.

When I'm walking down the hall-way trying to get in my crib, I can feel 20 eyes staring down hard on me around the corner just waiting for an opportunity.

Like my man Ludacris: "Whatchoo got up in dat ROOOM what's in dat ROOOM?"

I'm like::flamet: "A couple a .9's a couple of knives....stay the fvck up out my biznasss"

But I can see the decline in just 20 short years.
    I can only imagine the difference in morality and values 50 years made.

I think integration made many of us lazy and unmotivated to reach for higher goals.

We don't do too well when we're idle and have no discipline in our lives.

We need a challenge and a driven purpose to succeed.

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    There is nothing I can say except I'm in total agreement with you sister River. A few years ago an economist gave the following definition of wealth:

"A person who is able to maintain their lifestyle without working or generating any new income for a period of 15 years has wealth. Irregardless of how much money you make, if you can't sustain yourself beyond a few months (or years) if you have a sudden loss of income, then you aren't wealthy."

Needless to say, based on this definition I am not wealthy! But there isn't that many definitions of wealthy that would make me wealthy. However I like all black folk should seek to change that.

5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Big Question

And while we seek to do this through entrepreneurship, we must understand that is only the first stage.

It's not enough for individuals to nestle down in a cozy mom and pop business. This would leave us still economically dependant on the white man.

I remember a scene from a movie or book (I can't remember which) where a Native American was selling baskets dooer to door. In this scene he knocked on a white man's door but the white man would not buy the basket because he didn't need it. The Indian cried out "What do you want us to do, starve?"

We can't expect to progress if our economic system is based on the goodness of the white man's hearts. We can accept favors now and then but we cannot expect favors as the primary strategy that will get us over. If we look around we will see that this is where we are so how do we get from here to where we need to be?

Business is based on supply and demand so our goal must be to have power over things people need--things they will buy and must buy.

Now the white capitalist created need where none existed. Fashion is a created need that convinces othewise intelligent adults that the perfectly good clothes they boughtlast year can no longer be worn because they are out of fashion. Medicine is often a created need when it produces side effects and complications that require us to buy more medicine.

Of course, we don't want to further destroy our moral bearings by creating needs that harm our people just so a handful of us can achieve wealth. The Bloods and Crips are already doing that. But the question is how do we get a hold on resources that meet genuine needs and wants that aren't necessarily needs but that don't harm our customers?