Black People : Spike Lee's Malcolm X (193 mins)

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by skuderjaymes, Jan 15, 2012.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
  2. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    love Spikes theater orientation.. I have always wondered what his films would be like if he had fully embraced the works of Diop and Sertima and the like.. If he wasnt a New York film maker.. or an american film maker. I would love to see him tackle the larger global/historical picture.. something like the ground covered in Haile Gerima's Sankofa..

3. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    IMO this a great movie. Could it have been better, of course.
    I definitely hear you here, I feel as you already know, it's based on entertainment value. But I hear you on him expanding in a sense, the time is ripe for this.

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

Bump!

5. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043

I always wondered why spike softened the impact of this scene by making it into a hustle with the "did you palm that bullet" part.. According to Malcolms autobiography, this was a real russian roulette. I think Spike loved Malcolm too much to really portray him honestly.

6. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I read Spikes script book on the film and he spoke about having to walk the line between the NOI, the family and the studios. I imagine it must have been difficult to get all of the things he wanted to get done done. I really wanted to see him show how Malcolm came to Islam. I never really dug that created character in the prison that supposedly led him to the straight and narrow. I think it kind of robs Malcolm of something.

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace

I remember when I went to see this movie, I had on a Southern university hoodie and blue sweat pants and were like 50 deep. The day was sponsored by my mother's sorority zeta phi beta and it was the only time I ever kept quiet in a theatre, as well as watch a movie with my hood on. Now mind you there were some pretty females sitting right next to me, but I had just read his autobiography maybe a year prior, so my mind wasn't on that......

Later I would find out that the foi was present every eay of filming, putting pressure on spike which is why Farrakhans name is never mentioned verbally, but denzel snuck in a quick jab at him, I feel when he confronted bro. Baines in his home. You must remember that Farrakhan used to live with malcolm to understand, as my bro. Skuds would say, the context of that dialogue. ..

8. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043

that's interesting..

I didn't know they were on set like that. But I knew that Spike could catch a bullet if he handled that film the wrong way. I first read the book in 88/89.. and by the time the film came out, I had read the entire book twice.. and re-read several sections again and again.. along with all the speech books I could find and all kinds of other related works.. So I was up on Malcolm.. and I think I was a little pissed that after that film came out, so many other folks thought they were up on Malcom also.. but what they were really up on.. was the film.

9. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace

Oh yeah, they were there everyday making sure. You're right about that bullet because he was warned/threatened. the foi is a military, they take orders, period and they are some of the badest brothers you will ever see in action.

We have to look at how Farrakhan was being perceived back then. Jesse had just run for president under the foi's protection because of the many death threats by the jews because of his 'hyme town' comments. Then, when pressured by the same people trying to kill him he cowers and publicly disses Farrakhan.

So Farrakhan was taking no chances on this happening again, plus he didn't know how much spike knew, or who was in his ear. You had a lot of ex noi still thinking Farrakhan had something to do with x's assassination wanting to get Farrakhan back.

10. BlackSunlight

BlackSunlight Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +91
    In my view Spike Lee was hired to put some B.S. out there. I haven't seen the movie since it came out in the '90s and never wanted to see it again. Now I don't go inline with other critics of the film (i.e. Dick Gregory and others) but I too personally found alot of improprieties in it as well.