Black Women : Speaking up in a white work place etc.

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by bobbie, Nov 18, 2012.

1. bobbie

bobbie Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    I don't know if any you have experienced this or seen this but, when, in a white work place, a black women or man what's to speak up and a point, you either get:
    1) Ignored
    2) Fought- e.g. told that it is rubbish (the point that is)
    and then after a while of trying you give up, then they suddenly say you didn't contribute at all.
    What shall I do in such a situation. I find i have to shout and repeat myself and yet no one will listen and i find this very frustrating- I then end up having an 'attitude'

2. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    You seem between a rock and a hard place. White folks have always had this attitude towads blacks...condesending and acting as though black folks are illiterate. All I can advise you to do.

• Do your work in a professional manner, so they cannot find fault with your performance
    • Make sure that you are punctual
    • If they ask for an opinion just let them know you don't have any. When they see your attitude they will realise that you have given them opinions and they have ingnore them previously. There is not much you can do. Their attitude will not change, so you can only do what you have to do. It is going to be frustating but try not not to let them find something to accuse you of. I really sympathise with you and do hope there is a change soon.

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Well, I don't know, specifically, what kind of "speaking up" you mean; but, yes, many Blacks have their "suggestions" or "observances" ignored and rejected by white co-workers/management.

However, "SHOUTING" out your "objections" nor having an "attitude" is not the answer.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick." --- Now, the "big stick" I mean is documentation.---- Keep a journal/document your "speaking out.....dates/times/witnesses/audience, etc..

That way, when whatever "issue" it is comes up again, you have SUPPORT/documentation that YOU spoke to/of it BEFORE.

....especially when WHITE co-workers/supervisors try to TAKE CREDIT for something a BLACK person suggested or previously TRIED to bring attention to but was IGNORED/DISCOUNTED.

...And depending on the "issue," learn how to "pick your battles." ---- If it's important/grave/large enough to warrant persistence, then don't give in. Keep repeating your "point" as often as you can to whomever you can.

If not, "let it flow."

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Good advice!....But, I do disagree with this one part.

If a Black worker is ASKED his/her "OPINION," I think that is the perfect opportunity to VOICE it.....They did ASK!

So, Imma let 'em HAVE IT! :argue:

But, in a professional manner,of course. :D

So, if I were this Sister and I was ASKED my "opinion" about some issue in the work-place, I would DEFINITELY tell them, "Well, perhaps you may remember that I spoke of this matter before in the sucha-such meeting back in sucha-such and my views NOW are the same as THEN...sucha-such and THUS."

:10400:

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Welcome bobbie, sound advice has been offered by the two(2) previous posters; my advice, take it:)

Peace In,

6. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    This is kind of tricky. You do have to walk a tight rope with this.

When I was very assertive at a past job, I was out in several weeks despite doing more work and better quality work than anyone prior to my appearance.

If you shout, you lose.

I find that bringing the facts works for me.
    Don't use words people don't understand. Bring the information down to their level.
    Also, hold your ground and let your piece be said. Sometimes others like to interrupt.

7. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137

Like in here, you must back up your point with plenty of facts. Shouting doesnt work woth them. They view that as angry, accept when they do it