Speaking of hair...women do you shave?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by NNQueen, May 23, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    There was a time when Black women loved their hair . . . and not just on their heads. A "hairy" Black woman used to be a sign of her beauty.

Now, as in many other things, Black women define her beauty in ways similar to White women . . . shaving her natural tresses is but one example.

Black women that shave and Black men that love it! Which one are you and why?

2. redlady

redlady Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    NNQueen, i don't remember when a "hairy" black woman used to be a sign of her beauty, it never happened in my house. i think that when i was a young girl, i used to watch my mothers grooming habits and followed suit. my mother always shaved her underarms, legs, pantyline, etc. on the other hand, she had a head full of gorgeous hair and a braid that went down to the middle of her back. i always wanted to be just like her when i was growing up. now i too keep myself groomed and if i have hair anyplace other than my head, it is pretty gross to me. i like the smooth feel of skin after having shaved my legs and underarms etc. i am not adverse to getting wax jobs. i even wax my eyebrows or anyplace else on my body that has hair where i don't think it belongs. i guess i'm just heavily immersed in western culture. hair on a woman's head is pretty to me, long, short, however she wants to wear it...but hair on a woman's body is a no-no. oh, on the other hand...i don't think that my husband notices. he has never made a comment about the hair on my body one way or the other...matter of fact, you have me curious about it and i am going to ask him now! :lol: thanks, i'll get back to you on that!

3. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    Hey red, maybe Black men that liked Black women with hairy legs was a southern thing. I'm trying to find information about that and if I run across anything, I'll certainly share it here.

But what I find interesting that I didn't realize is that there is a whole history around shaving that goes back a very long way. The information found in the following link pertains to men and women alike, mostly in northern Europe, but with a few examples from Africa as well.

What this proves is that shaving is definitely a cultural phenomenon and nothing more. People have gotten rich, and still are, from us applying depilatory creams and razors to our bodies.

Let us know what your husband prefers... :)

http://www.quikshave.com/timeline.htm

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    hair ................
    it look good on some women as to others
    under arms hair should be shaved to give them that lady touch
    now on her legs some guys like the hairy look the light hair some
    like the smooth touch this one is wide open now hair in other
    places is well up to the woman men can take it with or without
    but yes most do shave their as well to give the glow of body
    grooming is a key to beauty & essence.......
    i like to hear more women on this one .

5. redlady

redlady Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    NN, sorry i am just getting back to you. i asked my husband how he felt about my shaving habits and hair in general on a woman's body. i was hoping he would get more elaborate but ended up saying something smart like...well if you've been shaving all of this time...and you're my wife...then that is your answer. so i am ***uming that he doesn't like hair on a woman's body. thanks!

6. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    [email protected]'s husband...well, he does have a point. He sounds like a man of few words...lol

Thanks for the feedback red! :)

7. SwtT

SwtT Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educational/Human Resources field
    Ratings:
    +28
    Man, ...i shave but not to the point of lookingg like a little twelve year old girl down there...yes, i wax my brows n shave my underarms..anyone who doesn't ..to me its just gross if you don't keep yourself neatly trimmed and shave your underarms

8. PlayWitItPimp05

PlayWitItPimp05 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student at MHS.
    a perfectly blighted planet where soul-searching i
    Ratings:
    +1
    Posted by NNQueen,

:lol:....Well I really wouldn't say that. I don't believe your location determines what turns you on and what doesn't, or your grooming habits.

But I shave, my only particular reason being that HAIR HOLDS ODOR. That is just oh so nasty to me. But hair in itself does not bother me at all. And if I didn't choose to shave, I'd kick a man to the curb if it did bother him. (IF I liked men.)

That may sound a little harsh, but, its the honest truth. To me thats just like a man asking you why you read the books you read or watch the TV shows you watch or pee every morning or something like that....

But thats just me I guess.

:heart: :heart: PLAY :heart: :heart:

9. emprezz

emprezz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    NNQueen...

I grew up in the south and yes I remember when it was sexy for women to have hairy legs. I used to get compliments about that all the time. But, that was back in the day and I was a teen age young lady! As a woman I shave legs, underarms, and my kit-kat :D

Hair holds odor from bacteria and it is good hygene to keep yourself groomed. Also, I think it's cute to have that bikini shave/wax down there!

10. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    Ummm...well from here...I keep it so fresh an' smooth... ALL ova' :)
    seriously though i agree wit emprezz & PlayWitItPimp05
    Hygiene is fadin these days i mean fo' real!!!
    :)
    My hair (on my head of couse :) ) goes to the top of my butt and is naturally thickly HUGE (yes its real) sooo...I know about the hair hygiene;)

It takes a lot to keep that hair smellin' purrrty so...yeah clean shaven haven here LOL :)
    but I will say that I was also raised to believe love ya self hairy or not...:)