Black Spirituality Religion : Speaking in tongues

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by cursed heart, Jun 8, 2006.

1. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Please explain this concept!
    I see us as black people doing this often in church.
    I gather they are unaware of what they are speaking.
    Is it possesion of god,by god,your private language to him?
    But when everyone speaks it the language sounds the same.
    Please explain more to me.
    It sounds satanic to me

2. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    Lots of people mistake an "utterance of the spirit" as speaking in tongues. Now, don't go back to your church telling them they ain't speaking in tongues cause they will beat you down. These utterances has become universally accepted as "speaking in tongues". When a person speaks in tongues they will speak in a languange thats known on this planet, and they will speak it clearly and concise. I say again, don't tell them they ain't speaking in tongues.

3. cursed heart

Ratings:
    +38
    That's interesting! No I would not tell them so.
    I asked because I have not been to church in a while and I have not had the desire to go.
    My grandfather asked me to so I did.
    Everything around me looked different!
    There were several people speaking in tongues,shouting,running around the entire church,crying when the pastor put his hands on their forehead.
    I must say I don't hear spiritual not religous now, but spiritual people speaking in tongues.
    Are they making these up because I know christians who would not go near the speaking in tongues.
    My aunt says it bothers her and she is a christian.

4. abstract219

abstract219 ...standing on the shoulders of giants MEMBER

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    oh boy..here we go...im gonna get hammered for this, but

I don't believe in speaking in tongues, or fallin out in the aisle...it's just cheap emotionalism...... dont think it's nothing mystical or a higher connection to God.......i think it's just a show people perform in front of others, to try and convince them that they are at one with God...and you're not.

one lady at my aunt's church did it..but she didn't realize that she was saying the same gibberish the Pastor's wife used....everybody knew it but her...

the other lady only speaks in tongues in church, but not in her daily life....I asked her about it, and she could give me no more of a answer than "you are possesed by Satan, young man"....

Ive also seen a woman, speaking in tongues, with her eyes closed, but she would glint thru her eyes to see who was looking at her...

i dunno...it's just me. but that is just as silly as saying you can only speak with God unless you know Arabic or Hebrew.

"habba-gabba-goo-goo-eebba-seeshaw-gee-timeer-yabba dabba do...i got the spirit"-----come on.

5. cursed heart

Ratings:
    +38
    I also believe this as well!
    The last part had me laughing no insult intended to those that believe in it.
    Why put on such a show it's rediculous!
    It looks phoney and it's like playing with spirituality to please people.
    I just sat still and watched them because I had almost forgotten the show they put on.i read a story where they rolled this young man who was mentally retarted in a blanket and prayed for him,,spoke in tongues and suffocated him to death.
    They claimed his retardation was the devil

6. abstract219

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    ah...true heart.....
    NO OFFENSE TO THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN TONGUES....just my lowly opinion.

"eep-op-ork-ah-ah-
    rama-lama-ding-dong
    sim-sala-kabim
    and abra-kadabra to you too....."

7. abstract219

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    ah...true heart.....
    NO OFFENSE TO THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN TONGUES....just my lowly opinion.

"eep-op-ork-ah-ah-
    rama-lama-ding-dong
    sim-sala-kabim
    and abra-kadabra to you too....."

8. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    hmmm......

Speaking in tongue is emotionalism. We Blacks do it more because we are more emotional than other peoples. What I would like to figure out is: Why do we fall out/faint at the alter when the pastor touches our foreheads? Is there some type of sleeping gas emitting from his pulpit? Being 'slain in the spirit' was the only faith I had in the Christianity.....it was simply unexplainable.

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Sister Cursed Heart ... i'm so surprised to see a thread titled "Speaking in Tongues." I don't know why, because we have threads titled on most all other subjects, but i guess i never expected to see this one. I think it means we've arrived ... somewhere new! Thank you Sister for starting it.

I use to belong to a Holiness Church, and some of the Members spoke in tongue, though i don't believe i ever did ... i don't remember hearing myself.

Our Pastor was Mother Williams ... Church of God House of Deliverance ... a female ... which i'd imagine was kinda new to any church, including Holiness ... i don't know ... but she was soooooo loving and kind, so warm, so Motherly ... she has since become an Ancestor.

Being involved in the Holiness Church, or any church that embraces "speaking in tongues" is an experience unto itself. I'd imagine that for the outsider, someone just visiting, peeking in, not really involved ... it will all appear as foolishness to you.

But if you're a Member, seeking God with your whole heart, mind, soul, body, and strength ... tarrying on the altar for the Holy Ghost ... looking forward to feeling the Spirit of God move in you ... waiting for your evidence that you've been filled ... living a life free of all known sin, and praying constantly that God will forgive you for the unknown sins ... then it's very very serious for you.

For those Saints that i had the honor and pleasure of being around, learning from, sharing with ... there was nothing satanic about them ... quite the opposite ... they glowed with love and positivity ... you could actually feel their Spirit embrace you ... you knew you were in the right place, with the right people. I can name names! Shoot! Mother Scott, Sister Debbie, Missionary Bragg ... i believe all but one of those named have passed on now. God is Good.

Their life was never for show, quite the contrary, as they are very humble people never seeking the spotlight or commotion.

We must be careful not to devalue and make mockery of each other and our life experiences.

I believe ... that they believe ... that speaking in tongue is the evidence that you have the Holy Ghost. After tarrying on the altar, for as long as necessary, you will receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost ... marked by speaking in tongues. I also believe this is scriptural, though i'm not quoting the scripture now.

Again ... i don't think i ever spoke in tongue, but i surely tarried on that altar trying!

:heart:

Destee

10. sonnee01

sonnee01 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29
    Very nice post Destee!!!