Spanking Black Children.....Corporal Punishment..

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by spicybrown, Jan 17, 2006.

1. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Why is it that SOME Black parents like to (or at least used to) opt for extension cords, iron cords, and other harsh weapons when handling the youngins. Is this not a slavery flashback. Sure an open-handed swat on the buttocks may serve the most stubborn kids right, but are weapons of mass crying and sniffling necessary? Back in 1999 I witnessed a Black mother swat her child with a fly-swatter, in a Toys 'R' Us parking lot. Somebody obviously called 911, the Police took her kids to a Children's Receiving Home, and they did a thorough body check on the child. How would you've all reacted to this situation? 15-20 years later I still have a marking or two from them double lined 'stension cords!!

2. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I agree with only spanking with a belt or a hand on the bottom.

3. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Okay...

I think each state law varies on whether or not a parent/guardian can legally use a foreign object for corporal pun.

4. maatmama

maatmama Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I know Dr. Leary (post slave traumatic syndrome) puts forth that this practice is a vestige of our enslavement period, I am curious from our learned brothers and sisters to know if this a practice that goes on in a) present day Africa b) in Africa before their colonial enslavement c) during ancient times.....if anyone knows please share

5. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    Well, I've personally seen Nigerian parents here and in Africa beat their children and those kids get a beatdown. The parents sometimes slap or else hit with hands, fists, belts, paddles, switches, and so on. Those parents don't play!! They don't always beat the children though. It has to be something serious like disrespect, disobedience, lying, stealing, or a serious flouting of their customs. Eye-rolling, teeth-sucking, and arguing back or raising voice at parents are examples of disrespectfulbehaviors that might get a typical Nigerian child a beatdown.

Many Nigerian parents consider AA parents to be very soft on our children here and believe this is why some kids here are out of control. They do worry about white or Black people here calling the police on them for disciplining their children and often talk about this topic at gatherings.

6. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    hmmmmmmm This is touchy for me!
    As a child if my mother would buy nice barretts and I'd lose them while playing she would whoop me with a belt
    I've been hit with gym jumpropes naked and you know that does not feel good,thrown down the stairs,chokes and pushed forcefully into another room, just about everything.Now sometimes parents can take it to the extreme!Never ever would I take an extension chord,the same thing that plugs into a wall and has electrical currents going through it to whoop my beautiful creation,God's gift to me, my daughter.How can you look in the face of your child with marks and bruises and bleeding,welts and the emotional pain you will cause them later in life and actucally say you love them!
    Yes, I spank my baby, but not often because I set rules and boudaries and my bark is that of a man. I don't play!
    Trust she has tried me and my hand is quicker than her attitude so before she finishes I end it! It's a difference between discipline and abuse!
    Now a hand on that *** is sufficient! When they get older liike 15 and they want to act grown it's time to rumble!:garbage:

7. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19

I agree there's a big difference between discipline and abuse. If a child is getting bruised as a result of the 'punishment' the parent needs to check themselves.

Most children aren't purposefully trying to be rebellious, particularly those who get the attention they need all along. And there are some stages such as toddlerhood and teenagehood where the child's physical and emotional development make them more likely to rebel. Indeed, I think some like to take their hostilities out on children because they have the 'power' to do so, moreso than the kid actually deserving such extreme forms of abuse.

It is true too that other cultures are more harsh on physical discipline than especially White/western ones. However, doesn't mean it should be condoned, even if the kids appear better behaved than ours. Many American Blacks approve of physical discipline yet, SOME of us still have problems when we grow up... these problems most of the board are fully aware of, so I'm not going to repeat them. Other cultures might have factors besides discipline that encourages a more well-rounded individual; initiation rites, mother, fathers or some other closely-related family member that is able to watch the child closely, more unity within the community, etc.

8. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Some of them little bad *** kids.....you NEED something strong and tough like a broom-handle or extention cord to correct them.

When I was 8 and 9 tearing up everything I got my hands on, if my mother threatened to spank me with her hand like on television, I would have just laughed....waiting for the punch line.

Spanking me on the bottom...shhh...
    You might as well just pat me on the back and say: :wave: Good job son...keep fvcking up!

Black kids are tougher than white kids, not faded easily.
    We learned that early in life.

Back on my block, parents needed TWO sticks to beat their children.
    One to break on them and get their attention.....and the other one to actually do the punishing.

Parents were always chasing thier kids up the street with belts, switches, bike-gear chains, and stick.

I remember I was over my friends crib and he kept messing with his mother while she was on the phone and she threw a show at him....he threw it back...lol.
    She wrapped the phone cord around her hand and threw the phone at him popping him in the head and it bounced back in her hand....lol....and she finished her conversation.

It took that joker 5 minutes with his mouth open before any sound came out....lol.

9. maatmama

maatmama Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not disagreeing, I'm just conflicted about this as a teacher and parent who sees alot of children who bring the same type of "correction" to their outside dealings in school and the streets. So when they are faced with conflict or disagreement with another their first reaction is to go straight to "Ima punch you in the face" or something more extreme violent reaction instead of some conversational finese to compromise and leave the situation where both parties feel they have saved face....I have always wondered if that behavior is somehow learned by what we do and how we react to them at home....I have called parents about their child fighting in school, only to have them come in and beat the h**l out of the child....

10. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Probably the most EFFECTIVE method is for parents to practice what they preach. I don't know if corporal punishment preceeded slavery and colonialism, but I'd like to think that pointless "philosophy" of 'Do as I say, Not as I Do" didn't.