Black People : Southern English,and Black Southern English ( AAVE)

MississippiRed

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 11, 2004
MississippiRed said:
Here are a couple links yall might like...the first is on Southern English and it's attributes the second is on African American Vernacular English(Black Southern English) and it's attributes and some info on it's African Roots ..theyr'e long so I won't post the whole thing and 'll put the links up instead.....hope yall like em....I did...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Vernacular_English

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_American_English

MississippiRed

Yassuh, dat be us, bruvah - awl un it!(smile!)

Yo, Sip, you know what makes me laugh, brotha??? Sometimes I'm trying to write what my mind is saying, and I just cannot find the way to write the word the way I'd say it - LOL!

Musta been a B-kitty tryna write that Gullah Bible, bruhman!(smile!) Just thinkin' 'bout it wo' me out!(smile!) How you gone write it exactly the way Gramma say it??? It's damned near impossible...

Peace!
isaiah

Isaiah said:
Yassuh, dat be us, bruvah - awl un it!(smile!)

Yo, Sip, you know what makes me laugh, brotha??? Sometimes I'm trying to write what my mind is saying, and I just cannot find the way to write the word the way I'd say it - LOL!

Musta been a B-kitty tryna write that Gullah Bible, bruhman!(smile!) Just thinkin' 'bout it wo' me out!(smile!) How you gone write it exactly the way Gramma say it??? It's damned near impossible...

Peace!
isaiah

Sho nuff ..that musta made them po ta tote it mentally after writing that....I can't imagine the kinda work that woulda went inta it.......I feel the same way though bruh....I can't write the way I talk even though I want to....and haveta mek up spelins ....lol........and gotta remember too a lotta them words and sayings is gwon now never to be heard again....it's a shame.....oh well I'm doing my part......it's funny when folk here me talking to my kids folk look like I'm speaking foreign talk.... and then they really trip when my kids know what I'm saying....I love it.... Yes Suh....

Red
Keeping Black Southern Tradition Alive

If we really want to keep the Black southern "tradition" alive and stay close to our "roots"...why don't we pick a day to all go out and pick some cotton?

Maybe hire a skinny white man with a big hat to sit on a porch and watch us!

Come on man, those are SLAVE traditions and they need to be erased and forgotten....not embraced.

As far as slang and improper use of language....

A great man once said anything other than the original is devil.

If we want to learn an African language and master it, fine.

If we want to master the English language, fine.

But don't take pride in the jacked up broken "Anglish" that was handed down to us by our oppressor.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back