Black People : Southern English,and Black Southern English ( AAVE)

Good God Almighty!

((shakes head))

I'm beginning to think half the bruthaz on here are all actually the same person trying to clown...lol.

Kemetkind

First of all, I asked you:

Do you believe we should embrace the broken and corrupted form of the English language that the slave masters who were barely educated themselves handed to our ancestors?

You can help Mississippi Red "attempt" to point out supposed inconsistancies in my posts even if it doesn't concern you but you can't even answer that simple question?

Secondly, what dog do you have in this race?

I said nothing to you in this thread and out of nowhere you start quoting my posts and disagreeing looking for contradictions.
If you wanted my attention all to yourself, all you had to do was just ask.:nuts:

I dunno man you might need to gone and let this one loose fo you start digging a credibility hole too deep to climb out of.
There is no problem with MY credibility because I'm consistant and back up what I say.

Isaiah is the one who posts articles condemning rap, then accuses Muslims of trashing Black culture.

Mississippi is the one who called other Black men on this site "dog" yet none of the so-called "concioius" ever checked him on it and lets him get away with promoting slave-grammar.

Just like this thread on the New Orleans shooting:

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39036

You said it was an outrage and M Red came right behind you and made light of it...did you challenge HIM no...you basically blew the entire incident off.
Yet you come to this thread and fight like hell to show my "inconsistancies."

Just remember....agree with me or not, you'll ALWAYS know where I stand on an issue.

Red pointed out you responding to a DIFFERENT thread on afrikan languages saying they should all be preserved, but on this thread you said

Is Southern Black English an "African language"?

We can generate meaningful discussion without artificially instigating it.

I may have to ask you and Isaiah the same thing since you two are doing more defending and fighting for Mississippi Red's stance on the issue than he is.

I said nothing to either of you two but you both LEAPED into the discussion in an attempt to discredit me.

Speaking of which, you took my statement totally out of context.

Within context I said:

If we really want to keep the Black southern "tradition" alive and stay close to our "roots"...why don't we pick a day to all go out and pick some cotton?

Maybe hire a skinny white man with a big hat to sit on a porch and watch us!

Come on man, those are SLAVE traditions and they need to be erased and forgotten....not embraced.

As far as slang and improper use of language....
So when I said those are slave traditions that need to be erased and forgotten I was speaking directly to the picking cotton and having a white master/overseer watching us.

And if you were still in doubt, my saying AFTER THAT "as far as slang and improper use of language" shows that I changed my focus and that statement didn't apply.

If you had a change of heart gone head and own up to it - nothing wrong with that. But you can't explain that kind of stuff away w/o making it seem trollish - as in just spouting off for the sake of keeping a debate going.

Like I said

YOU'RE the one who began disagreeing with me, not I with you.

YOU'RE the one who is "trying" to show a contradition in my statements, not I yours.

I said absolutely nothing to you in this thread, and little to you OUTSIDE of it...so who's the troll looking for an argument?

Dual brother you really need to man-up on your tone and keep it under better control.

Nothing is personal- this is a web discussion so you can't expect to post only AT certain people and expect no one else to respond.

The contradiction is plain and very clear, nothing was out of context - you followed up with more sentiment referring to slave language as "Anglish" handed down to us by the oppressor and made an metaphor to it being of the "devil".

You think AAVE should be recorded historically but that we shouldn't be proud of it. I find that inconsistent but in the big scheme of things it's not very important. Definitely not important enough to feel like you're being "Clowned" and go into attack mode.

There's no POWER to be gained being confrontational on these boards with your own brothers.

None.

I didn't think I needed to answer your question because I'd voiced my sentiment on it already....but yes, I do think everything about slavery including the language we developed should be studied, embraced, critically analyzed, passed down and NEVER forgotten.

More importantly - I think we are expressing self-hatred and dishonoring our ancestors when we continually refer to "slave mentality" and slave this and slave that in such a derogatory, contempt filled fashion.

Kemetkind

Dual brother you really need to man-up on your tone and keep it under better control.

Nothing is personal- this is a web discussion so you can't expect to post only AT certain people and expect no one else to respond.
No I don't, but I expect everyone to be CONSISTANT in thier beliefs and values.

I said this was a slave-language that shouldn't be promoted...you had no problem disagreeing with me which I can respect.
But on THIS THREAD:
http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39036

Concering a Black man being killed by white police officers you said it was an outrage, yet IGNORED the fleeting and controversial comments made by Mississippi Red on it.
And come to AID him in this thread.

Now I'm in now way suggesting you start arguing with Mississippi Red.....I now how much you SAY you want unity among us....but I'm ASKING why are you seeking an argument with me?

Do you care more about preseving southern grammar than the loss of innocent Black life at the hands of racist cops?

The contradiction is plain and very clear, nothing was out of context - you followed up with more sentiment referring to slave language as "Anglish" handed down to us by the oppressor and made an metaphor to it being of the "devil".
I don't know about the devil metaphore, but I DID say it was a slave language handed down to us by whites and I stand by that true statement.

Was not our language first given to us by white slave masters who brought us to this country?
Black people weren't speaking it BEFORE being enslaved, we had other languages.

So what about that statement do you disagree with?

You think AAVE should be recorded historically but that we shouldn't be proud of it. I find that inconsistent but in the big scheme of things it's not very important.
Yes, it SHOULD be recorded for reference purposes just like the Latin language and Mayan manuscripts and art be preserved.

Hell, the photos of us being lynched and the letters by Willie Lynch and other racists should also be preserved for future references. But none of this should be promoted or shown with pride.

Would you stand before an attentive audience and speak that form of English?

Would you like for your children to be taught it in school instead of standard English?

Definitely not important enough to feel like you're being "Clowned" and go into attack mode.
It's called human nature my brother.
How can you assist another man in his disagreement by pointing out what you believe to be "inconsistences" in mine....THEN tell me to "man up" as if I'm not being a man....and have the nerve to question why I would be offended.

Are you ill bro?

You should know what to expect when you challenge somebody like that.

There's no POWER to be gained being confrontational on these boards with your own brothers.

None.
Exactly.
But again, YOU confronted ME...remember?

I don't remeber even mentioning your name UNTIL you pointed out how you disagreed with me, and even then I just asked you a simply question which you ignored and instead launched a full scale assault on my credibility.

You have mentioned several times how much you desire unity and how instigators should be ignored.
How has your behavior toward me contributed to that goal?

I didn't think I needed to answer your question because I'd voiced my sentiment on it already....but yes, I do think everything about slavery including the language we developed should be studied, embraced, critically analyzed, passed down and NEVER forgotten.
Alright, that's all you had to say in the first place.

Instead of saying that, you went on to try to point out what you consider to be contradictions and told me to "man up".

So you made it personal and confrontational.

More importantly - I think we are expressing self-hatred and dishonoring our ancestors when we continually refer to "slave mentality" and slave this and slave that in such a derogatory, contempt filled fashion.
That's your opinion.
Most people will disagree with you including myself....whether they decide to voice it or not....and they probably won't.
Many of our ancestors inded had a "slave mentality" and many did not, plain and simple.

How can you say we should be proud of the fact they were slaves, then turn around and say it's self-hating to say they had a "slave mentality"???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall you aren't fond of us calling ourselves Africans and adopting African values but should rather focus on our issues here in America.
Am I right?

So if me speaking of a slave mentality is self-hate; wouldn't disassociating ourselves from the very African heritage and identity the very first of our ancestors had...also be considered self-hating?

I bet this'll convince you....

It amaze me how some of the same people who think we should promote and be proud of broken English filled with slang that was passed down to us originally from white slave masters.

Yet on the Evening News, as soon as the news reporter choses some witness with a shower cap on who speaks that VERY SAME way to tell the story....."yall" have a fit and d*mn near THROW A SHOE THROUGH THE TELEVISION SET.

:blob fire: "Man...why they always gotta pick the most IGNORANT NEGRO to put on televison!!!!"

"Why can't they find some intelligent bruthaz who know how to talk!!"

Lol....Am I lying?

Hmmm.....

Speak up.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back