Black People : Southern English,and Black Southern English ( AAVE)

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MississippiRed, Dec 30, 2005.

1. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Yassuh, dat be us, bruvah - awl un it!(smile!)

Yo, Sip, you know what makes me laugh, brotha??? Sometimes I'm trying to write what my mind is saying, and I just cannot find the way to write the word the way I'd say it - LOL!

Musta been a B-kitty tryna write that Gullah Bible, bruhman!(smile!) Just thinkin' 'bout it wo' me out!(smile!) How you gone write it exactly the way Gramma say it??? It's damned near impossible...

Peace!
    isaiah

3. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34

Sho nuff ..that musta made them po ta tote it mentally after writing that....I can't imagine the kinda work that woulda went inta it.......I feel the same way though bruh....I can't write the way I talk even though I want to....and haveta mek up spelins ....lol........and gotta remember too a lotta them words and sayings is gwon now never to be heard again....it's a shame.....oh well I'm doing my part......it's funny when folk here me talking to my kids folk look like I'm speaking foreign talk.... and then they really trip when my kids know what I'm saying....I love it.... Yes Suh....

Red
    Keeping Black Southern Tradition Alive

4. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    If we really want to keep the Black southern "tradition" alive and stay close to our "roots"...why don't we pick a day to all go out and pick some cotton?

Maybe hire a skinny white man with a big hat to sit on a porch and watch us!

Come on man, those are SLAVE traditions and they need to be erased and forgotten....not embraced.

As far as slang and improper use of language....

A great man once said anything other than the original is devil.

If we want to learn an African language and master it, fine.

If we want to master the English language, fine.

But don't take pride in the jacked up broken "Anglish" that was handed down to us by our oppressor.

5. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34
    smh. .. :grin:

MississippiRed

6. Dual Karnayn

Ratings:
    +7
    Mississippi Red

What...did I fall for the "trap"?

Lol...

I read what you said about this type of grammar in Isaiah's thread about the Gullah people but chose to ignore it because it would have been a little off subject.

But since you made a way for me, "heah ah beez"...lol

7. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34
    Bump

MississippiRed

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Dual, I'd be mo'n heppay ta pick dat cotton t'was on mah own plantation, how 'boutchoo???(smile!) Ain' nuffin' wrong wid pickin' cotton, suh...It's a hones' livin'... You 'spute det, suh???(smile!)

Brother Dual, my gramma spoke her geechie good enough own the ground she stood on, and didn't really depend on the white man for much of anything... Here I speak pretty damned good english, and don't sh*t - not even the shoit on my own back, brother... I'll be damned if I'm going to preach to my children that they should master the colonizer's language, and not their own - yeah, the one their ancestors created out of their need to have something of their own...

And you are DEAD WRONG that that language was what the White man gave us... The White man don't even understand what we're talking about three-quarters of the time unless we tell 'em! That's why these white boys LOVE them some rap, because it is a chance for them to speak the hippest language on the planet... Even the damned British, whose language it is that African Americans have entirely refurbished in our own image, say that what we've done is nothing short of marvelous! Go read their Oxford Dictionary of Slang, and see what they say for yourself...

Your ideas about Black Vernacular are Old and Faded with the more recent research, brother... Even in the web page presented by SIP, it tells of how African words remain in the english language... Did Whtie boy give us that too??? Maybe you have to give up your ideas about learning an African language, now, brother??? That's using your logic about this...

Peace!
    Isaiah

9. Dual Karnayn

Ratings:
    +7
    Isaiah

Nobody is perfect nor am I calling for perfection, but either we as a people will progress and rise out of the restrictive slave culture that was forced upon us by our open enemy....

Or we will embrace it and continue to perpetuate it for eternity.

But there is nothing "Black" or "African" about the corrupted form of the English language our ancestors picked-up from thier oppressors.
    And it's certainly nothing to be proud of.

Our people spoke the best way they knew with little or no formal education, but the good part is they MADE their children speak better when they were able to get an education.

My mother came from the heart of the south and spoke a with that typical southern dialect, but she didn't allow me to do so and corrected me frequently.

When you KNOW better, you DO better.

No thank you, I'll pass on the "slavonics".

10. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Dual Karnayn....

"But there is nothing "Black" or "African" about the corrupted form of the English language our ancestors picked-up from thier oppressors.
    And it's certainly nothing to be proud of."

It is possibly a dialect of West-African tongue mixed with a southern slur..besides many Black slaves weren't learnt enuff ta talk good :star: