Black People Politics : Southern Baptists elect 1st black president !!????

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
I had to post this because it just blew my mind that the leader for all of this time was REALLY A WHITE MAN !!!!....AND OUR PEOPLE BEEN GOING TO CHURCH FOLLOWING A WHITE MAN !!!

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — At the end of the day Wednesday, the presidency of the Southern Baptist Convention will pass to an African-American pastor for the first time.
The nation's largest Protestant denomination voted Tuesday to elect the Rev. Fred Luter Jr. to lead them, an important step for a denomination that was formed on the wrong side of slavery before the Civil War and had a reputation for supporting segregation and racism during much of the last century.
In a news conference after the vote, Luter said he doesn't think his election is some kind of token gesture.
"If we stop appointing African-Americans, Asians, Hispanics to leadership positions after this, we've failed," he said. "... I promise you I'm going to do all that I can to make sure this is not just a one-and-done deal."
Faced with declining membership, the SBC has been making efforts to appeal to a more diverse group of believers.
Some Southern Baptists also believe a proposal to adopt an optiona

skuderjaymes

Contextualizer Synthesizer
Nov 2, 2009
theory to application to discussion to percussion
Occupation
independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
I had to post this because it just blew my mind that the leader for all of this time was REALLY A WHITE MAN !!!!....AND OUR PEOPLE BEEN GOING TO CHURCH FOLLOWING A WHITE MAN !!!

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — At the end of the day Wednesday, the presidency of the Southern Baptist Convention will pass to an African-American pastor for the first time.
The nation's largest Protestant denomination voted Tuesday to elect the Rev. Fred Luter Jr. to lead them, an important step for a denomination that was formed on the wrong side of slavery before the Civil War and had a reputation for supporting segregation and racism during much of the last century.
In a news conference after the vote, Luter said he doesn't think his election is some kind of token gesture.
"If we stop appointing African-Americans, Asians, Hispanics to leadership positions after this, we've failed," he said. "... I promise you I'm going to do all that I can to make sure this is not just a one-and-done deal."
Faced with declining membership, the SBC has been making efforts to appeal to a more diverse group of believers.
Some Southern Baptists also believe a proposal to adopt an optiona

What color was Gerald Massey?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Scientists say thousands of years ago West Africans migrated to east and southern Africa via Zambia Zané Lombard Science and Technology 0
OldSoul Black People : The 200,000-year-old city found in Southern Africa may rewrite history Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : Southern University System Selected as Pilot Institution for CIA’s White House Initiative - Know who we're dealing with Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : The Reckoning of Morris Dees and the Southern Poverty Law Center African American History Culture 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : A Resolution Condemning White Supremacy Causes Chaos at the Southern Baptist Convention Christian Study Group 5
Kemetstry Black People : MANY SOUTHERN WHITES HAVE BLACK BLOOD Black People Open Forum 78
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : Kitchen Nightmares US S06E04 - Ms. Jean's Southern Cuisine Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Kemetstry Black Spirituality Religion : Southern Baptist Convention - 1st Black President ??? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 39
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Tony! Toni! Tone! - It Never Rains (In Southern California) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Z Black People : Southern Sudan prepares for independence vote Black People Open Forum 12
S Black Poetry : Southern Blindfold Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
D Destee Network : Southern Soul Destee Network : 0
G Black People : Southern Africa says "No" to US military bases in region: Black People Open Forum 5
S Black Jokes Humor : Never Choke In A Southern Restaurant Black Jokes Humor 1
howardtsu Black Poetry : My Southern Belle Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
P Pan Africanism : Reclaiming the past in southern Sudan African American History Culture 2
M African American History Culture : Southern Clay Eaters a Dying Tradition African American History Culture 11
howardtsu Black Poetry : Southern Livin' Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
P Black People : Immigration dominates southern US politics Black People Open Forum 10
M Black People : Southern English,and Black Southern English ( AAVE) Black People Open Forum 40
Isaiah Black People : CRUNK & SKREW...SOUTHERN FOLKS, PLEASE EXPLAIN IT!!! Black People Open Forum 104
T Africa : Black Jews of Southern Africa? All Things Africa 7
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : SOUTHERN COMFORT Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 33
A Africa : Gracia Machel Decries Southern Africa’s Plight... All Things Africa 0
Akilah Food Discussion : Healthy Southern Style Vegetables... Food Discussion and Recipes 8
D Black Jokes Humor : southern zodiac signs Black Jokes Humor 3
M Black Poetry : ~Southern Cawntry (Country)~ Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
U Black Poetry : Southern Gurl Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
baller Black Poetry : southern skin... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
L Black Poetry : Southern Pleasures Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
W Black Events : Southern Caribbean Cruise 2003 Black Events 5
N Black Poetry : Southern Flag Fallacies (Haiku) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
M Black Poetry : Southern Girls!!!!!!!!! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
blakverb Black Poetry : Southern Cream Sicle Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
cocobutterskyn Black Poetry : XXtreme(Southern Comfort Zone) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
G Black Poetry : Feelin' Sunshyne (For that Southern Peach of Mine) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
Heartbeat Black Poetry : A Southern Smile (for the ladies downsouf) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
G Black Poetry : Southern Sensuality Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 20
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : news-site-launches-trump-investigative-fund-to-hold-president-elect-accountable Black People Politics 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Jim Brown, Ray Lewis met with President-elect Trump OldSoul 12
chuck Black Education / Schools : We Do Need To Elect Better Black Candidates!! Black Education / Schools 10
IntuitioninMD_2 Black People Politics : It is time to elect a candidate to get us our REPARATIONS! Please sign this White House petition! Black People Politics 14
M Black Entertainment : PRESIDENT-ELECT BARACK OBAMA & ENTERTAINMENT Black Entertainment 3
DARKSIDE MAGICK Black People Politics : ELECT CYNTHIA MCKINNEY FOR PRESIDENT Black People Politics 9
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : IF BARACK IS TO BECOME PRESIDENT, WHO MUST ELECT HIM TO BE SO !!! Chief Elder Osiris 0