Pan Africanism : South Africa's poor losing patience

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by panafrica, Aug 21, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4167298.stm

2. militant

militant Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the post. I have lived in South Africa recently and I must agree that it remains deeply divided, along economic lines. It seems the euphoria and excuse of political freedom have given the whites an excuse to practice open racism. I remember a white Professor who once told me that because there were affirmative action laws, the blacks were getting all the opportunites and therefore he was going to make sure that he helps more whites. The problem is that affirmative action is not equal to blacks having opportunities, since the law is seldomly practiced and if ever practiced, it is the east indians who mostly benefit. As a result things can only spiral downwards with attitudes like that! However, I do not see the same economic terrorism being done unto south africa as was done to other african countries by the western nations. This is because the western nations still have their "brethen" in that country.

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Political power means nothing without economic equality, that is proven in Africa (as well as the United States) everyday! Is there any wonder way the effort to redistribute land in South Africa is being supported by so many?

4. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I've read on another article that when South Africans rise up against racism committed on them by the whites that afterwards they start fighting amongst themselves. The whole tribal or ethnic thing begins to happen. I think one thing that Africans should do is recreate the borders of all 53 or 54 countries to fit each particular ethnic groups according to it's size. They should also do it according to whether the particular group got along with the other or not.

I get the feeling that those borders are only invisible lines to most Africans anyway, they don't really recognize them at all.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Deepvoice:

You have wisdom beyond your years, I am really impressed by you! Tribalism has always been a problem in Africa, and the creation of artificial borders by Europeans exploited pre-existing ethnic divisions. Unfortunately tribalism continues to exist post-colonization, and will continue to exist unless it is dealt with.

A damning fact is that during the scramble for Africa (when Europe decided to colonize the continent in the late 1800s), no African nation or ethnic group came to the aid of another. Indeed some African ethnic groups helped to colonize other groups, only to be later colonized themselves. This is the ultimate example of the damage tribalism causes to African progress.

The future of Africa lies not with solely recreating borders. Instead it lies with ending tribalism in Africa. It lies with African nations working together (sharing resources, infastructure, making trade agreements, etc). The future of Africa is a fully functioning African Union...a United States of Africa. That is not only the necessary future of the continent, it is the future of black people throughout the Diaspora!