Black People Politics : South African “I Benefited From Apartheid” T-Shirts Spark Race Debate

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by jamesfrmphilly, Nov 20, 2012.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    [​IMG]
    In South Africa, a supermarket looking to hire new employees targeted black recruits, drawing white backlash. The incident inspired filmmaker Roger Young to create t-shirts reading “I benefited from apartheid.” His goal was for white critics to “understand” how the legacy of apartheid persists, he said. But the t-shirts have only added fuel to the fire.
    Mr. Young printed 40 t-shirts displayed under a sign labeled “Free t-shirts, white only,” and received mixed responses. Supporters thought it was a brave way to communicate the enduring effect apartheid had on the country, still palpable almost 20 years later.

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2012...ed-from-apartheid-t-shirts-spark-race-debate/

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well, his INTENT may be sincere.

However, the T-Shirts would be more explanatory and ACCURATE if they said:

"I have benefited ever since Alexander The Great white-washed Egypt; ever since the Arab, English, Dutch, French, Portuguese, Spanish, and the Germans first raped, stole, pillaged, and enslaved this continent; ever since Colonization, throughout Apartheid and AFTER."

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    will all that fit on a tee shirt?:10500:

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Yep.

Actually, the INDIGENOUS South Africans should have some made up with that on it but edit it to say:

"It WASN'T MY People who benefited ever since Alexander The Great white-washed Egypt; ever since the Arab, English, Dutch, French, Portuguese, Spanish, and the Germans first raped, stole, pillaged, and enslaved this continent; ever since Colonization, throughout Apartheid and AFTER."

5. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +666
    That is one expensive T shirt to print lol.

Sincere but nonetheless a pretty stupid idea. It reminds me of that minstrel cake which was supposedly meant to make people aware of female circumcision.