Black People : Soul Plane Makes 5 Million on it's opening weekend.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MANASIAC, May 31, 2004.

1. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    http://movies.go.com/boxoffice/

Soul Plane makes 5 million that is about a 4th of it's production costs. It is poised to generate a profit over the next 4 to 5 weeks.

There were plans to boycott this film (I am not a fan of it myself), but I wonder if there will be any real followup to the boycott; moreover, I wonder if any of the people boycotting will make films that they want too see instead of critizing others.

Just an Opinion.

2. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    I dont know that whose who boycot will go out and make films, unless they are already in the business of making films and are mad that they dont get the recognition. Most really good and interesting black films are of the "straight to video" variety. This is fine cause apparently some of them are making money that way, but it is frustrating when garbage films, or ones that may be funny, but are stereotypical and knock offs of each other, make all the money and get the attention of everyone.

3. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    smh

I'm not a fan either, but it's funny how a movie with such negative images of blacks can still make money like that even with the talk of boycotting on top of that...smh.
    I just hope we will start seeing better and more positive black films so I can start going to the movies again.

4. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    hvn't seen it & prob won't, but i think it's a spoof type movie & they hv't tried 2 present it as anything else. thou there r som rumors of a 'boycott', i hvn't read anything definitive n print bout something structured or organized, or widespread. as i said n chat, it doesen't mak much sense 2 me 2 select a film like this, obviously intended 2 poke fun @ ourselves, as a target of a boycott. the last film i heard talk about boycotting was barbershop b/c of, supposedly, insensitive comments bout rosa parks or mlk. here's wht i wanna kno -

y hvn't there been any silly, insensitive, flagrently offensive films by yt's worthy of boycott? personally, i wld hv thot 'monsters ball', given it's premise, a much worthier target of rightouss indignation & box office retribution than soul plane.

let me pause here 2 review another film i feel more deserving of a boycott, i believe it's title is the green mile.

the story centers around a condemed black man scheduled 4 execution 4 crimes he didn't commit. nothing special so far. the black mans name is john, sort of like john doe. he is distinguished n the story by being huge, simple minded, totally selfless, unbelieveably kind hearted & gentle, posessing supernatural healing powers, & oddly, devoid of any resentment over the ultimate injustice he's about 2 suffer. that he is accused of especially heinous crimes seems a needless xtra thrown n 2 make the injustice all the more contemptable. although known 2 b innocent by his white prison guards they plot together, not 2 prove his innosence or free him, but on how best 2 utilize his healing powers 2 benefit themselves.

like other famous blacks created by whites, his heros & the object of his greatest efforts at healing r all white. n fact, although located n the deep south (louisiana), amazingly he is the only black on death row & of course the only black, other than xtras w/o speaking roles, n the film. this martyr goes gladly 2 his death wishing only he could do more 2 help white people. as a final request, he wishes 2 view fred astaire & ginger rodgers, his white heros, singing & dancing n a lifestyle so dichotomized from his, they may as well hv been on another planet.

this is the story of a white mans black man. the white man owns him body, spirit & soul. the story is told, of course, thru the eyes of an elderly white man looking back, whom we r supposed 2 feel sorry 4 b/c he is 'cursed' w longevity! how sad.

i rate this film 'p' 4 pathetic.

5. daroc

daroc Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
    jus to let yall kno the main stars have already signed for a sequel of Soul plane

6. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    SMH

I guess we all have bills to pay.

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Did anyone here really think that Soul Plane wouldn't make money? Surely you don't think that only Black people go to see these types of movies, do you, so it's not just our money that went into the pot. There are so many movies on the market that in one way or another, exploit Black people--and they're not always the ones with obvious messages like Soul Plane, as Brother Alkebulan pointed out. Why boycott one movie when we probably should be boycotting Hollywood in general? There is so much money filtering through the industry, naturally many of us want the fame and fortune that can be acquired there.

Sister Toylin, I understand what you mean that people have bills to pay just like us, but we all have the freedom to choose how we earn our income and no matter what you do, it's smart to earn it by exercising your principles and values not be compromised in pursuit of the 'almighty' dollar.

Brother Manasiac, I'm sure there are some and will continue to be Blacks in the movie industry who are trying to portray a more realistic image of Blacks. But we all know that Hollywood is penetrated with racism and is a den filled with lying, despicable thieves. I think that Blacks are better off being independent film makers because to try and compete in Hollywood will subject you to being treated no better than a w-h-o-r-e being used for sexual gratification without even as much as a kiss.

This is why I tend to like independent film production better. I think that Spike Lee showed us how, if you have a will, there's always a way.

I have to wonder if there could have been any circumstance in which a movie like 'Soul Plane' would have been less offensive by some of us. What exactly is it that bothers us about the movie and why? After all, white people make stupid movies about themselves all the time and pass them off as comedy. What is it that we don't want white people to see Blacks doing in these movies?

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

8. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    In the grand scheme of things, 5 million is not a lot of money. By no means is this a "hit" movie, but it will probably make enough for Hollywood to keep the coon shows coming.

9. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    well stated PanAfrica,"not a hit movie..t'is a coon show"

and interesting question NNQueen .."what is it we don't want white people to see"...
    I really hadn't thought about the white people seeing it , since i know statistically, we are the largest supporters of such films..I really wanted us, we as a people, to elevate ourselves to the higher triangle and these films, unlike a chris rock's head of state, live only in the lower triangle of our body/mind.. and taking your question into this...maybe i don't want the eurocentric mind to continue to see us in that light...maybe...but I just want us..and our young to see the possibility of so much more...

10. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17

Sister NN,
    Snoop has been around for a while. If folks are still supporting his music you know the same ones are going to support this film... black, white or whatever. So you know the film was going to make some money.

Brother Alkebulan,
    Some very nice points brother. I think we should start a movie critic thread in the entertainment forum and you should be on the team.

Therious
    [/QUOTE]i dnt know actual statistics but im willing to bet the white turn out for movies like rosewood, eves bayou is much, much less....if any.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see this stats on this also.

Brother Pan,
    You're right, far from a hit.