Black Entertainment : Soul II Soul

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by UBNaturally, May 29, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    The "Non-Amerikan" Black Group(s) and artists that added to R&B Soul in the 80s/90s

Caron Wheeler with cameo from producer Afrika Baby Bam of the Jungle Brothers (Native Tongues)

And this one is just straight Funk

Remember when I first heard this on the Mo Money ('92) soundtrack. Was like opening a bag of Lays potato chips as her voice and the rhythm and flow combined with certain acoustic flares impressed upon me that Caron is one of the more under appreciated vocalists past and present.

...along side Lalah Hathaway, who only recently got some appreciation.

On contemplating and reunion album

Respect

2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    :toast:

I gave my Piles a workout with this album...I think I cracked a window or two.:lol:

Peace!

3. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Do you think she should have left after the first Album? I guess she wanted to branch out while she had a few hit records.

Peace!

4. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    She reminds me of how Wyclef and Lauryn were, as Clef was the producer that might have said something once in awhile, but Lauryn was "The Fugees".

When Caron left, she left that musical interpretation behind, but she had enough "Soul" to go by and be recognized as "Caron Wheeler", not the lead singer of "Soul II Soul". Plus, linking up with the "Jungle Brothers" and "Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis" didn't hurt either.

https://myspace.com/caronwheeler/music/album/beach-of-the-war-goddess-10252148

Think of it like how "Jodeci" was and is.

Jo-De-Ci, from what I gathered from sources, never broke up as "K-Ci and JoJo" albums had Devante heavily producing just as he was under the moniker of "Jodeci".

Also keep in mind in the early 90's, Mariah Carey was just coming into her own and Mary J Blige pretty much snatched the rest of what would have been Caron's R&B Funk .

But it was difficult for foreign R&B/Soul artists to remain current in the Amerikas while trying to do so in two different geographical realms, with the exception of Sade.

So no, I think both her and Jazzy(Soul II Soul) did just fine separate from one another, but if/when they do get back together as "Soul II Soul", the name alone let's us know there is a combined force back at work.

And if/when they do bring forth a reunion album, they will probably not be "affected" by the destruction of music within the Amerikas... well, hopefully at least.

Respect

5. araegba

araegba Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Soul II Soul and Loose Ends are 2 of my favourite Black-British Soul/RnB groups.