Black Children : Sorority Life

I agree with Sis Each1 100%. I am a member of a sorority as well and it is only what you make it. The real history and purpose has little to none to do with what you are probably use to seeing.

I encourage you to do your research BEFORE even attending an informational meeting. That way you will know first hand if what is being said at the meeting is true and just.

Becoming a member of a sorority should not be looked at as a way of life but instead as an enhancement to your current experiences and skillset.

...Not to bring (or bring back, for that matter) controversy to this thread, but I encourage y'all to check out the following thread from a while back. I attended an HBC/U for the past 3 1/2 years, and did not go one second without seeing such a tradition embraced. Instead of moving forward about that, I will just reference this thread from the past.

Check it out.

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41140&highlight=Greek+Fraternities

KWABENA

That is so true...

I agree with Sis Each1 100%. I am a member of a sorority as well and it is only what you make it. The real history and purpose has little to none to do with what you are probably use to seeing.

I encourage you to do your research BEFORE even attending an informational meeting. That way you will know first hand if what is being said at the meeting is true and just.

Becoming a member of a sorority should not be looked at as a way of life but instead as an enhancement to your current experiences and skillset.

alot of people just wanna be down/not down for whatever reasons based on what they see and hear.
what sorority are you a member of?

My only thing is, why do we fashion ourselves after Europeans? We always using something of theirs. It could be their letters, their organizations, or whatever! The fact remains that we are betraying ourselves when we associate ourselves with a people that practically hate us! Why aren't we joining organizations that are completely about us? First we wanted be Odd Fellows(Grand United Order of Odd Fellows), then we wanted to be Masons(Prince Hall Affiliated), and now we want to be Greeks(the Divine 9 and others). The only African oriented Societies I see today that are open to everyone is the Order of Kush and a few Afrocentric fraternities here and there. I'm not saying we should all join Afrocentric groups, because I know and understand that we are not all Afrocentrics. I just makes me wonder why we would associate ourselves with a people who historically and still unto this present day, are savages!

Black Sororities and Fraternities are very different from their European counterparts. It is a lifelong commitment, not just while you are in college. As you grow in life, your level of work and commitment grows. I am a proud member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. And while in college, yes, it was fun and games. But grad chapter work is still fun, but the community service is more important than the social aspect.

I'm not going to build on my own organization, I see all of them as vehicles for community service. That's the bottom line essence. You cannot look at the personality of the organization from your own yard's perspective as the total, either. When I was in college the Q's were always on probation. The doesn't mean that all members of Omega Psi Phi, collegiate and grad, are irresponsible.

My advice is to investigate which one suits you where you are in life, and choose based on that. They all have the same mission. Community service. It's just the personality of the group that differs.

Peace

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back