Black Spirituality Religion : SONG OF SOLOMON 2:15

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by KWABENA, Jul 12, 2005.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Hello Family:

First and foremost, let me inform ALL MODERATORS and Destee:

After this question is answered or explained, you may (if you would like) DELETE this thread. I just wanted to learn something new from my Humble Destee Family right quick.

I don't care what version it is read from; I will just put it right here. It says:

"Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes."

I think I know what it means and what it stands for, but can anyone remind me? I appreciate it.

AGAIN, AFTER I GET AT LEAST A GOOD ANSWER, THIS THREAD CAN BE DELETED.

THANK YOU,

KWABENA

2. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    I think the foxes are suppose to represent the sin in our lives that can ruin our faith and morals. This site gives some insight on this passage and others
    http://www.ldolphin.org/ssong.shtml

3. yaphet al-wynn

yaphet al-wynn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    with double, triple or possible quadruple entendres.

4. EVE

EVE Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    This is talking about sins.Its not the big sins that get us, but the little sneaky ones that do the most damage. Thats why its important to remember what Romans tells us.That henceforth we should not serve sin."-Romans 6:6

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Thank you very much family; I appreciate it.

KWABENA

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    "..The lesson is, of course, that little, seemingly insignificant things can cause grossly disproportionate damage. We must guard ourselves against little foxes that do great harm to a Christian’s life.

A Little Laziness

“Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.” (Proverbs 6:10, 11)

Laziness spoils the vine of industry and success. Ultimately, the lazy person will come to poverty. A little laziness grows bigger. The lazy person gets even lazier! This verse teaches that a little sleep-a nap-becomes a little slumber, and a little slumber becomes deep, almost catatonic, sleep.

Wake up! Get out of bed! Get busy-before it’s too late! You’ll be too poor to own a place or even a bed. Chase the little fox of laziness from your tender vines, or you’ll have no vines, no grapes, and no profit.

A Little Folly

“Dead flies cause the ointment of the apothecary to send forth a stinking savour: so doth a little folly him that is in reputation for wisdom and honour.” (Ecclesiastes 10:1)

A person who has a reputation for wisdom and honor can destroy that reputation by one off-color joke, one foolish deed, or one ungodly attitude. A moment’s mischief by one little fox of folly can outlast years and years of hard work.

One’s entire reputation can be destroyed overnight. Guard that vine. Do whatever it takes to keep the little foxes from your precious vine of reputation. It is easier to maintain a good reputation than to try to restore a sullied one.

Little Faith

“Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?” (Matthew 6:30)

Not only is it impossible to please God without faith (Hebrews 11:6), but the Lord is displeased by our little faith. And yet, the same Lord who is dismayed at our little faith is also the one who said that mustard-seed-sized faith can move mountains.

It seems that His displeasure is not so much with the size of our faith, but with the fact that we do not take advantage of those opportunities to increase our faith that His grace supplies. Faith comes by hearing the Word (Romans 10:17). Do you read God’s Word? Prayer can build us up in our faith (Jude 20). Do you pray?

Little Love

“Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.” (Luke 7:47)

Little love, lost love, and leaving the first love are insults and affronts to the Lord. “Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love” (Revelation 2:4).

The love of Christ constrains us-not our love for Him but His love for us. The hymn says: “No one ever cared for me like Jesus.” I love Him because He cares for me. He demonstrated His great love in that He died for me.

Another hymn says: “My heart is thrilled, my heart is filled to think He died for me.”

Do you have little love? Jesus said that all the Law could be summed up in one command, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind” (Matthew 22:37). Today Jesus asks you and me, “Lovest thou me?” What is your answer? My answer is: “I love you, Lord Jesus.”

A Little Leaven

“Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?” (I Corinthians 5:6)

No one wants a little cancer, does he? Yet, people tolerate a little sin in their lives. Sin is cancer of the spirit. Cancer can destroy your life. Sin can destroy the soul. One malady is temporal; the other is eternal.

The insidious effect of one man’s sin spreads to others. “For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself” (Romans 14:7). We affect others. “Evil communication corrupts good manners” (I Corinthians 15:33). The West Virginia translation of that verse is: “If you lie down with dogs-you’re gonna’ get up with fleas!”

The Little Tongue

“Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.” (James 3:5, 6)

The tongue is a little member in the body. A dagger is small compared with a sword, but it can kill just as well.

In school, we catalogued all the kinds of sin recorded in the Bible. We were surprised to learn that there are more sins associated with the tongue (speech) than any other part of our being. These sins include blasphemy, lying, gossiping, cursing, and backbiting.

Among my many sins, some of the most regrettable have been things that I have said. The Lord has forgiven me. As He gives grace, I will praise Him.

Words hurt, don’t they? We should not teach our children: “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.” That is not true. I would much rather have been beaten with a club than to have had some things said about me.

A little match can burn down a forest. A little tongue can do irreparable damage to a life. Bite your tongue before it bites you.

Little Gratitude

“For who hath despised the day of small things?” (Zechariah 4:10)

Some people with a terminal disease feel that they actually have been given a great gift. Suddenly, the so-called little things become so much more important in their lives. They take time to smell the roses. They notice a beautiful sunset. They hear the birds singing. They savor every little nuance of life and are thankful for the privilege of enjoying them.

The wise relish family get-togethers. A birthday, an anniversary, or a holiday becomes more special. It’s not a stop-at-the-store-on-the-way-home-and-buy-a-three-dollar-card-and-a-cheap-box-of-chocolates type of day. It’s a let’s-make-a-memory type of day.

Many of the rest of us, like brute beasts, muddle through our lives to a sudden death, having never truly appreciated the little things. To the wise, little things mean so much! Let’s learn from the wise. May we praise God for everything including the so-called “small things.”

The Lord resents ingratitude (Romans 1:21). “In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you” (I Thessalonians 5:18). Have you ever done something for someone and then never received so much as a thank-you? It hurt, didn’t it? Don’t you know that it hurts the Lord when we are given so much every day and don’t thank Him?

Little foxes can and do spoil the vine. The little foxes in our spiritual life can do so much harm. Let’s “take . . . the foxes, the little foxes.” Let’s chase the little foxes from our lives before the vine is damaged and life’s tender grapes are destroyed-before it’s too late."

http://mountainmanna.com/2009/05/06/little-foxes-that-spoil-the-vine/

7. ru2religious

ru2religious Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,891
    Now you stop that - you know King Solomon had no ideal what a Christian was or would have ever been. When King Solomon spoke you have to take it from the context of what he could have been referring to in his time frame and not some fictitious theology that popped up 1200 years after his supposed death.

Its not logical that such an associate would be comprehensible to King Solomon in his time period - so what was he actually saying or what is the message that was being spoken to those with an ear to hear?

Read the whole chapter and lets try it again and I don't mean this in a condescending manner but your interpretation is as far off as the left if from the right. I advice you to please take note of the full chapter and the next chapter cherryblossom. He was not referring to the Christians or protection of any sort. Let us review the scripture again and this time read it with fine details.

Song of Solomon 2:15 Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.

Why would this scripture be referring to foxes that attack or try to do harm to the Christians when this scripture suggest that us is actually her? She is the fox but you have to know who she is which she is identified in Song Of Solomon 1:5 but is this her true description or is it figurative? I will let you figure this out for yourself.

Now please read Song of Solomon chapter 3:1-4 and the Amen lies within these verses alone.

Peace

Ru2religious

8. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    The previously posted information was not written by me.

I was just responding to the original post concerning 2:15.

However, although I am no Bible scholar, my understanding of the book Song of Solomon is as a symbolic representation between God and the Church/Followers, .i.e., husband and wife. Moreover, that “Song of Solomon” is a “Messianic” text and that Jesus is the prophesied Messiah coming through the bloodline of David.

Also, there is more to that symbolism tied into the Trinity which is the root of Christianity even though Christ had not come yet in the flesh.

Now, obviously, we disagree on this point; and I will not change your view nor you mine.

So, it is what it is. :10500:

Do remember that I am the "programmed *****." :lol: And I am wholly happy in it! :coffee:

2 Timothy 3:
    [16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

The foxes, what are the foxes and what does this statement mean?:

"Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes."

Interesting, the poster wishes to be reminded of the answer, he thinks, but will withdraw the thread after receiving a good answer. My question to KWABENA would be this, out of the answers received, have you been reminded of the meaning, or did you learn something sufficient enough to close the thread?

This quote at issue is so profound until a book could be written about this portion of the Bible, alone. A casual approach toward full understanding of just this one verse demands extensive study. A review of those contributing, reveals the complexity of this one sentence(take or catch us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes).

The commmon interpretation of this particular verse has been provided, as milk. However the more meatier interpretation remains absence. To now be given the more meatier interpretation would depend upon the thread starter and whether or not what has been presented satisfies the query of the thread. But suffice it to say, this love story, which carries a color connection as well, is much deeper than what has been revealed within the confines of this thread...Peace In KWABENA.

10. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Hehe...

First and foremost, I created this thread wayyyyyy back in the day when I was involved in the study of Christianity. I frequently perused the Bible trying to understand and intepret the meaning(s) behind what I was reading.

Since that time, I have been very 'open' when it comes to religion or any religious-affiliated principles connected to it.

As I look back on the thread, I realize no matter what, it remains wise-dom to the wise at heart.

More to come in due time...

KWABENA