Black People : Something I notice that's pretty sad.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Pharaoh Jahil, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Peace

Alot of our sistas and brothas don't mine being deaf, dumb and blind. Many of our people are too comfortable with this Amerikkkan lifestyle. Some are aware that this system is screwing them over, but as long as they have money in their pocket, designer clothes on their backs and a Mc Donalds on every corner....they could care less about the 'struggle'. They believe that this country is the land of opportunity so now everyone's trying to get rich. Than when you have people like us trying to introduce them to reality, they take it as a joke. You have your religious church folk who sits around and wait on a mystery god to come out the clouds. Then you have your young adults who are into clubbing, party-ing, drinkin, getting high, having sex etc etc. while others just do their own thing. No one really cares about the struggle or where the black nation is headed, everyone is pretty much happy wallowing in their own ignorance and self-destruction. Us being at the bottom of the barrel in society is seen as nothing important.

Just a thought......

2. DreamFunk

DreamFunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    ...there's much Truth in your words....:toast:

...how do you think we can pull our people out of ignorance...????...I think the best way, and maybe the only way, is though our music.....

3. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    I agree...

The thing that seem to keep our people ignorant is radio, T.V and these Black Magazines that seem like a waste of writing.

We need more conscious HipHop Artist out their such as Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, Dead Prez, The Coup , Paris, The Roots, Mystic and a whole lot of others.... Music controls our youths way of thinking. I would prefer for my child to emulate a Talib Kweli than a 50 Cent. We need more Neo Soul music and less of this today's watered down R&B music that seem to only flood the airwaves with tainted love. It seem like every R&B song is about sex.

T.V influences us alot. (B)lack (E)xploitation (T)elevision is a huge waste. Instead of constant music videos, BET could be educating our people.

Them black magazines hardly speak about anything productive. Mostly about beauty, music, or women having problems with their men. It would be nice to read a black magazine that speaks on Black Consciousness. Something every reader could gain from.

4. SwtT

SwtT Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educational/Human Resources field
    Ratings:
    +28
    I don't get you.

So:confused: :confused: ..........

you're sayithng that as black people we should fight for a "black nation" stuggle? Why make a fight when theirs no need for one?we have fought off segregation....or maybe thats my own small ignorance of what you're talking about (Give me a break, I'm trying to understand you...I am only 17) To me, black people have it good....Mainly, the only people destroying us is ourselves....but please tell me what you mean by this stuggle...cuz I don't see one

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    so true indeed ya right and our true struggle lay at hand before
    us all this land has become the grounds of holes and we our
    own continue to fall deeper into them
    it's very said how we have become adapt to this style of living

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Excellent thread topic Pharoah.

SwtT, being 17, I can understand why you might be confused and hope that additional posts to this thread will help you to see more clearly what Pharoah means by the "struggle" because it's mentioned throughout many of the threads here.

It's not necessarily something that you can always see with your eyes anymore. It's far more sophisticated than that now. Our struggle is not new--it pre-dates any of us here in age. What we struggle against has evolved over time, never weakening it's onslaught and now it seems to breathe a life of it's own. It's an old agenda with new ways being used to implement it and its target is--us.

The "struggle" is being fought around us and by many of us, every single day--the same as many of our ancestors had to do. Because you don't "see" it, can be viewed as both a blessing and a curse. It tells me that our fighting has not all been in vain, but it also tells me that we haven't done a good job preparing our children with the knowledge necessary for them to continue the fight which includes the preservation of what we've managed to achieve along the way.

We're not looking for a fight, SwtT. We are not bullies starting a fight for no reason. Just look around you here and read what people are sharing. Your community may not reflect what is written about here, but trust me, I can relate to them. We are real people and many of us come with real stories to tell.

I wish things really was as you described them to be for Blacks as seen through your eyes. You think we have it "good." How do you define "good"? It's true that some of us will agree with you--some Black people do live large, as they used to say back in the day. But I don't think that's what our struggle is about. Also, I respectfully disagree if you think that mainly the only people destroying Blacks is ourselves. Please don't be offended by this, but that does show naivete on your part.

SwtT, I applaud you for coming here and getting engaged in much of the discussion. I wish more of our younger people would be like you. Thank you for giving us, your 'elders', the opportunity to share facts and opinions about life as we know it--not because we're wiser than you--but simply because we've lived a little longer and have seen a little more.

Peace my young princess!
    Queenie

7. divinity

divinity Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Pharaoh Jah....i think you make a good point....i just think many of our people dont pick up to "struggle" b/c most people want to live happy contentful/carefree lives...........who really wants to fight and struggle all their lives? Especially for something that will probably take a lifetime to fix let alone see any progress......I mean look at the civil rights movement, slavery..etc....those things didnt happen overnight....I'm not saying that's good reason to avoid reality and the "struggle". But this whole "struggle", unveiling the truth is not any easy pill to swallow....it can be a bit overwhelming and confusing.....there are so many theories...problems....issues thrown out at one time.....and very little results, progress..........honestly i think this is something that will really never go away.....i'm not saying dont try, it may get better, but the "struggle" will never end.

8. blaquebutterfli

blaquebutterfli Well-Known Member MEMBER

living life-isn't that enough?
    Ratings:
    +0
    Terrific Thread Pharaoh. I agree wholeheartedly. It amazes me how many of us are satisfied with BET which not only is mainly a waste of good air time, but is no longer even black. Not simply owned, have you noticed how difficult it is to see a black video on BET.

I think the musicians, poets, authors, artists, ministers should all be doing something to uplift and educate our people.

For one thing I am grateful, there are people around, who though of differing views as to method are truly and passionately interested in the struggle. I keep faith in the fact that one day the struggle has to be won.

Keep speaking truth no matter how people seem to take it. Truth always overcomes in the end. So says Jah. So it is.

9. soulful03

soulful03 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0

you don't see black videos on BET?

10. divinity

divinity Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    This is not some happily ever after thing.....Truth is right and should prevail, but doesn't always win. We've seen it over and over again. I'm just saying there are some things that we as humans/man can not settle/make right...I believe truth will prevail, but only by God/The Almighty/Yahweh's judgement and will........it's not our battle....do what u do, make the changes in your home, family, life, follow God's way of living, teach your kids the history, but why fight the oppresser, shout revenge, or keep pointing the finger...in a cause that is way beyond your control....these undisputable wrongs to blacks(not just black people) have been going on for centuries.......I think the "struggle" is way overrated.....hey just my opinion....