Black History Culture : Something for the younger crowd.

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Radical Faith, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    For all you hip-hop heads here is a little history for you. In the song "2nd round knockout" Cannibus said in one of his lyrics " the greatest rapper of all time died on March 9th". Well I beg to differ, no disrespect to the deceased. When it came to the rap game the brother was truly a bad boy. Here is a website about the original rappers. This brother were doing what has become common place today before a majority of today's rappers were even born. I speak of The Last Poets. Check it out.

http://www.math.buffalo.edu/~sww/LAST-POETS/last_poets0.html

Peace

Radical Faith

2. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    The Last Poets Live! And are still writing and recording

I think your reference and link to the Last Poets is on point and it is sad that when the artistry of Rap is critiqued from a historical point of view as far as it’s political and inspirational origins, that best we can come up with is James Brown, and we gloss over the Last Poets, as if they never existed.

Radical Faith the only problem I have with your post is that you placed it in the “Honoring Our Ancestors” thread which may make some young reader believe that the Last Poets are all deceased and they are now with the ancestors and only a part of history. Which is of course untrue. I wish you had posted this wonderful acknowledgement in another thread, so there would be no confusion at all, about their present state.

But still, I salute you.

Peace and Ashe!

Brother Sun Ship

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Brother Radical Faith ... i thank you too for sharing this thread with us and in light of what Brother Sun Ship said, i'll move this to our culture forum ... since they are a cultural icon ... and since hip hop too, has been virtually stolen from us.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is deep, thanks for the link...I will definately check them out!