Khasm13 : some thoughts on mercy....

Discussion in 'Khasm13' started by Khasm13, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    At Lafayette College I played football on a scholarship, like most of the working-class kids on campus. One night I was having a conversation with two of my white teammates as we watched the Atlanta Falcons on Monday Night Football in their dorm room. Deion Sanders was on the sidelines, not dressed for the game due to an injury. He wore a jogging suit with a big gold chain and a crucifix that swayed beneath the lights. My teammates took the occasion to explain to me the difference between a “black person” and a “******.” They categorized Sanders as the latter — mostly, it seemed, because of his clothes and his swagger. A “black person,” in their minds, was someone like the Detroit Lions’ Barry Sanders, whose humble attitude on the field appealed to them. Beginning the next morning I could swallow nothing for four days except water, and only a few sips if I bent over and twisted my head at a bizarre angle, looking back almost over my shoulder. I lost about twenty pounds — no small concern for a college tight end. The doctor diagnosed esophageal spasms and prescribed a muscle relaxant. I think the spasms were my body’s revolt: You must not swallow this. But how could I not?

http://thesunmagazine.org/issues/451/some_thoughts_on_mercy

2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    I use to, and still do have the mind set that a black has to worry about a few things when they have a job. 1) who is going to mistreat them because they are black, and 2) who is going to be the first to call him boy, Leroy, or some other name that equates to being black. 3) Who is going to tell some stupid a@@ black joke thinking that you roll like that, just because they've known you for 1 week. I've had all of these happen to me, and many more.

Even in my current job, I wonder what is the reason I have to wait in the lobby,(at times) while whites are told to go right in and have a seat, then I'm told i can go. As if I'm going to steal the stapler. I wonder why do this white clerk pay no attention to the other white customers, but break their neck, rushing to me to see if they can help me.? I can overlook 1, but when 3 and 4 do it in a short span of time, I get pissed and ask them why are they asking me.

Peace!

3. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    these things might happen but its no cause for worry. imo.

its like getting all bothered when you're out dining and being served by a racist/discriminatory waitstaff.

...or walking into some highend furniture store and having the salesperson look at you as if to say '...can i help you? we don't take foodstamps here.'...lol

it happens but it doesnt bother me and. why should it? its just words and i can say that bc in my profession ive been called every name in the book. im desensitized. i dont take offense easily...but more that that?

ppl will think as they will. with time and experience this can change...but its not for me to worry about. i dont worry about things that are beyond my control. *shrug* racist acts are a cause for concern. i don t worry about racist words.

my daddy is in his 70s. when he was a kid, black folks in parts of texas couldnt even go outside after sundown. this generation doesn't know what real racism is and so...it always gets under my skin when some blk folks bemoan whatever racism they've encountered. 'oh they looked at me funny!'

...yeah but I don't see you being lynched or chased home or terrorized in your house.
    ppl need to toughen up. so long as no one represents a barrier to my success I dont much get all the hub-bub about it. why wld I care about the opinions of some furniture person or a hostess? these ppl don't have the power to affect my life one way or another.

unless... you actually believe that someone whose job it is to b of service to you, is also somehow above you -- why wld you cares about whatever 'the help' thinks?
    go talk it out with management. in this 'customer is always right' culture, no company wants to b slapped with a racist brand. its bad for business.

that goes for coworkers,too. if anyone says something 'racially insensitive', you just set them straight and go on about your business.

I just have a different way of seeing things. my parents didn't raise us to think and behave like 'minorities'....

4. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    i disagree...it's like walking around with a scarlet letter on your chest...imho

one love
    khasm

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    That article was awesome! He's a great story-teller and writer.

Poignant parallelism.

Thoughts on mercy, indeed.

The bees know.

...."They didn’t believe what I thought — what I imagined — was real. They knew inside me was a truth other than murder. They had mercy....."

6. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167

Basically because they are scared of people outside their realm of processes. Any black person that expresses themselves is "this and that" yet those that appear unassuming are seemed as "controlled" in their puny heads. Yet these (most, not all) are the same fools that cannot get enough of mafioso, bad*** biker mentalities, raise up criminals for being geniuses, sit and fascinate over the weirdest things, hailing a mentally disturbed and confused effed up mustache havin' individual, and the list goes on. A lot of white folk are off in their thinking and have been that way throughout history. As given in the writer's situation, they were trying to see if he would succumb to their misdirected way of thinking. They hit him up in multiple levels. Check it, first they threw the word out to see where his head was at and how he would react, then second they tried justifying their use of the word to 'explain their alleged point' to see where his head was at. Those fools always love to test and tread water because in the end they are what they are and always have been.

7. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,324
    I wish I could give your entire post a gigantic thumbs down, and that's especially this statement.

After you finish patting yourself on the back for being brought up to not behave like who you can't help but be, by definition and by common sense, go get yourself a cookie, you oh so wonderful desensitized individual, and gimme a break. :rolleyes:

8. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Sorry, but this cracked me up! :lol:

File this under "sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying."

9. Deacs

Deacs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +567
    I understood this... then I stopped worrying about it or how they viewed and thought about... but honestly, it was also the time which I said I will stop working for someone else and started working for myself...

but that second part... with those white clerks... I would let them know... probably not the first time, but if I see a pattern, I will address it.

10. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    For real though...these white folks ain't use to seeing blacks doing highly skilled jobs like them.

You would drive these white folks crazy out here cuz they aren't use to strong blacks standing up to them, and you got a mouff on you..:qqb011:

Peace1