Black People : Some Think We Are DIRTY.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by sweetbrownsugar, Jan 27, 2005.

1. sweetbrownsugar

sweetbrownsugar Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    It's Monday morning. On your way to work/school/wherever...You stop at a neighborhood convenience store to purchase gas, buy a newspaper, and grab some coffee. The total comes to $11 and some change. You hand a $20 to the cashier who is WHITE. He/She quickly grabs the bill FAST so that both of your hands touch as little as possible or NOT AT ALL (if she/he can help it). When she gives you your change of about $8? She/He: A. DROPS it into your hand from about 2-3 inches in the air from your own hand. B. PLACES it onto the counter. OR C. LAYS (on purpose) the bill flat in your hand to drop or place the change on -ALL BECAUSE HE/SHE DOES NOT WANT TO TOUCH YOUR "BLACK" HAND. What is your (physical, vocal, or mental) REACTION to this?

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    That's the reason why I do the same thing before they can do it to me. I always place my money or card on the counter to let them know "I don't want to touch your dirty hand either". It really used to piss me off. Especially in 7-11.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is the last time I go into that store!

4. sweetbrownsugar

sweetbrownsugar Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Kente417mojo, Funny, you said 7-11 because this happened to me SEVERAL times at this one in particular. (Witchduck Rd. Virginia Beach, VA) It was SO OBVIOUS even to the customers behind me. I was shocked at my own reaction which was 1-2 seconds. The change he gave back to me? I THREW it behind the counter ON THE FLOOR and was like: "You keep that to buy yourselves some gloves!" To this day though it happens ALL THE TIME. Most times I just keep a cool head.

Pan, I hear ya! But today I make sure I FREQUENT these SAME STORES. I be thinking at the checkout "you might not want to TOUCH my hand but you gon LOOK AT MY FACE EVERYDAY!" I really piss'em off. I be buying trivial things like gum! Hoping they'll just Quit and not be there the next day!

5. Kwaku Bendele

Kwaku Bendele Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    That happens I have experienced it often, Generally I really don't care but now that you brought it up next time it happens I may call the on it and ask them what the bleep bleep problem.

6. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Yeah, I definately wouldn't spend my money at that store. If anything negative happens at a store, I stop going. There are too many businesses that will appreciate my money. There have been a couple of times where I was supposed to get a penny in change and the guy behind the counter felt that it's just a penny...he probably won't want it, so he kept it. I'm like, "I was supposed to get some change" and I get my penny and never return to the store. Or if they're all cheerful and social the first few times you come to their store, then they start taking you for granted and really stop socializing when you come in, or they just say a couple of words....I stop going. Then I'll go back like 2 months later and they're like "Hey, haven't seen you in a while", then I know it worked and I stop going forever. They need to learn that they need us more than we need them.

7. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15

I've noticed this a lot when dealing with Asian people. But like Kente, I tend to avoid touching anyone's hand too.

8. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I've noticed that alot of the arab owned businesses in my community does the same thing too. Some people are very funny when it comes to other people hands.

I remember once while going through a NY toll booth, one of the employess had on rubber globe.(a black man) So jokingly, my sister asked him, "why you got on that globe, you don't want to touch my hands", and he replied, "that its nothing really personal, but people do all kinds of nasty things with their hands without washing them. Then they passed those germs right over to me."

I thought to myself he is right. They dig in their private areas, up their noses, and all other kinds of places and things. So although it may feel a little uncomfortable, I rather they not touch me. I don't know where their hands have been either. So if they are doing it because of a racial issue, I could care less. I still dont know where their hands might have been.

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    chill, they might be doing you a favor. :sick:

10. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    i pay this behavior no mind...it's happened to me since i was around 9 or 10 up until today...from buying gummy bears to buying rubbers...it just shows their ignorance and i try not to let ignorant folk get to me...keep being ignorant on your own account... i will not help your ignorance...thas what i think in my head when an indian teller puts my change on the table when i have my hand up...

one love
    khasm