Black Entertainment : SOME Q FOR ACTORS

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Therious, May 6, 2005.

1. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    ARE THERE ANY ACTORS AT DESTEE?

IF SO:

ARE THERE ANY ROLES YOU WOULDNT TAKE? WOULD YOU AVOID STEREO TYPICAL BAFOONED OUT COMMERCIALS EVEN IF IT MEANT PASSING UP $25,0000?

WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER STEREO TYPICAL?

SHARE YOUR TIPS, DO U LIVE IN NY OR L.A.? KNOW ANY SITES WITH GOOD CONTACTS FOR CASTING DIRECTORS? DO YOU WEAR YOUR HAIR LONG OR SHORT? DOES A CONSERVATIVE LOOK MEAN MORE JOBS? OR ARE THINGS CHANGING.

WOUL U CUT UR HAIR FOR A JOB-THOSE WITH LONG HAIR, FROS, BRAIDS, OR DREAD?

PEACE BLACK ACTORS.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    good question .............
    I'm not one but i wouldn't take on any stereo type roles
    if i was one .

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I GUES THE NEXT Q WOULD BE WHAT WOULD U CLASSIFY AS STEREO TYPICAL? ONE POST AT DESTEE MENTIONED A COORS COMMERCIAL WHERE THE ACTORS ARE TELLING MAMMA JOKES, THIS SOUNDS REAL CORNY IS IT STEREO TYPICAL?

4. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Answers To Brother Therious and Brother Rich:

Stereotypical Roles:

Unfortuantely, for alot of Black ACtors taking roles that you consider
    black face, or typical Black roles, is the only way you will be able to
    generate any money in the acting bizness. However, there is a way to avoid those roles, and that is by simply not auditoning for them, in order for people to offer your certain types roles, you must be auditioning for them reguralry or you must landed quite a few.

Moreover, I think at the same time since Black Actors barely get roles anyways, a role is a role no matter what it is. I know I could probably not pass up a role that pays $25,000 no REAL STARVING ACTOR AND OR ACTRESS would.

Remember this brother Therious:

ALL ROLES IN HOLLYWOOD ARE STERETYPICAL.

As a screenwriter, when I am creating a character I can only write with I think I know about a person. If you are not that person how can you write a complete non-steretypical character that is that person?

Telling Mama Jokes is not stereotypical. Stereotypical is the Tall Black Man with Braids that is a hood and up to no good. Or the Tall Dark Skin Sista who is natural and only writes poetry and listens to Mos Def and Erkyah Badu Dem.

Living in NY or LA:

I currently stay in Florida, I was approached by some Casting Directors at a Major network studio to move to LA or NY, but I refused to because I swtiched to making films instead of acting them.

However, in order for you to be a succesful Film Actor you need to be based in LA. To be a succesful TV Actor NY is perfect. Also it is good to to act in indy films and small productions to get experience as an actor and to build a resume.

HEre is a link to a website http://www.caryn.com/acting/ This site has a lot of good acting links on it.

Tips:

FIlm acting is a very superficial world, and to try to clone someone else or too look a certain away, will only put you in a box. What you ought to do is hone your craft and become a more professional actor. Do not worry about how you look or the way your hair, let the casting directors do that for you. I would like to also stress the fact that if you are a good actor, you will get noticed, one way to get noticed is to join an acting convesvatory or acting school. Alot of these places have a very good alumnus network that can steer you in the right direction.

The last tip I would give would be choices. IT is up to the actor and actress to make his or her own choices. If you make good ones you get good results.

Just remember this:

If you want to make non-stereotypical characters, and your own roles, make your own films. --Bill Duke

Acting is like Falling Into Darkness Backwards --Bill Duke

5. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    u make some good points mansiac. your right, u have to audition before u work. i have noticed the most sucessful actors, meaning well respected actors do not take rolls of bafoonerey.

i must agree mansiac, sometimes i get paranoid about auditions, like an actor told me the other day..."either they want me or they dont". like for instance, i auditioned for a military army recruitment film, the pay was nice like $350 a day. i was all un easy like are they gonna tripp off of my mini fro, then i was like well if your what they want theyll call u back.

i say that making your own films is a necessity for black actors, and actors in general. i live in virginia beach, there is a lot of land scape out this way. i love L.A, i lived there for years, N.y.c. is hot also. but my films can be produced anywhere is how i see it.

i feel you on the money tip. $25,0000 is a grip! good point on stereo types, but i will say that many rolls for blacks are disrespect. the flower child girl really isnt disrespect thats, a positive image. the loud, punk, woosy, stupid, or court jester black person is what i mean.

on the other hand, some tend to be pessimistic, times are getting better. i see many blacks in good rolls these days, like i said thoug, production and distribution is where a strong hold should be formed.

thanks for the link

peace