Black People : Some Middle Class Blacks...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by IntelligentNoire, Sep 16, 2011.

1. IntelligentNoire

IntelligentNoire Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    Are starting to work my ever loving nerve. I get it you're well rounded, well educated, went to a nice multi-cultured school ect, but why oh why must some middle class blacks attack poorer, lesser educated blacks. I'm starting to think that some middle class blacks are as bad as the KKK. No they're not lynching poorer blacks physically, but they're doing it emotionally, and mentally using terms like hood-rat to describe men and women who grow up in "less desirable areas". Making web-sites dedicated to parading the least among-st us before the masses for money and amusement. I am sick of it. Any thoughts on this?

2. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    Keep it together now, don't lose your nerves. These guys have always exist, they are known as uncle Toms, don't pay attention to them.

3. IntelligentNoire

IntelligentNoire Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    Riight...lol. I am trying to keep it together, but I get so angry.

4. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    In dyson's "was bill cosby right" There is a chapter where he examines the black middle class, "afrostocracy", as
    he calls it. It's an interesting read and suggest you check it out if you haven't already or should you be interested.
    Another work that you might find interesting is e. frazier's "black bourgeoisie".

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    the system of white supremacy oppresses us all. some know it and some do not.

6. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Status seeking behavior.
    Socio-economic factors.

7. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    My parents are middle class blacks and most of the rest of my immediate family is also....I've heard my mom talk about other blacks as if they were lesser than her, or say things some things that has made me cringe.

I don't know why she says some of the things she says, especially her coming from the ghettos of Philly. Sometimes I ignore her, other times I almost catch myself raising my voice.

I guess when you do get money a lil money or success sometimes, if not most of the time, you change.

8. kde

kde Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +188
    There have been articles written talking about how the black community is splitting more these days along economic/class lines, with middle-class-up blacks purportedly having more in common with similarly situated whites than struggling black folks.

I am middle class, born and raised, and I've maintained that status into adulthood. I grew up among whites predominantly and still do today. I've been told I talk "like a white girl" for most of my life and certainly have some class-oriented tendencies, preferences and values. I'd be lying - as most would be - to claim my upbringing has not influenced the person I am today. There's nothing wrong with having an education and being financially secure; the poison is when people use their position to tout themselves, undermine others and be critical, not constructive.

Fortunately, despite - or maybe because of - all this I am all about my people and relate to people from many walks of life. I've occupied a peculiar place in my life, never fitting neatly in any particular box and blending pretty fluidly between the worlds I navigate.

I've taught classes to "at-risk" youth, led other courses for a pennance (no financial incentive) and volunteered in prisons, things people like my parents perhaps did not understand or always agree with. Just like they didn't agree with me cutting all my hair off many, many moons ago and going natural before there were any blogs or websites devoted to it. At the same time, I work in the corporate world and am very comfortable doing so.

9. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    My family ranges from living in the hood to professionals. The majority of my family are professionals.

Started out in the hood. As my education progressed from grade school to college, the composition of my classes changed from predominantly Nubians to predominantly Caucasian.

For myself currently, I live around, work, and socialize with predominantly Caucasians.

The only Nubians I have contact with nowadays are my family by phone, my friends by phone, and this message board.

10. abstract219

abstract219 ...standing on the shoulders of giants MEMBER

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    From the projects of Upper Manhattan and Harlem....to rural farms in VA and suburban cul-de-sacs in between...I think Ive lived in em alll...
    I know some bougies. They have this separatist ideology that makes them feel superior. Not to discredit their work and education, but I understand that you dont want your children raised in disadvantaged conditions.. And even the most hood n----- got a little elitist bougie in em....$200 jeans....$125 shirts? Sistas fiending for items and shoes way over budget?

I feel the best position to be in.......is to be able to speak in the language and customs of both the hood and the burbs...and the ivory towers.

Class warfare has always existed in Amerika. They planned it that way.