Africa : Some black people do not consider Africans black people???

kemetkind

Oct 8, 2005
ShemsiEnTehuti said:
I have a problem with the title of this thread...

Some black people do not consider Africans black people???

Hmmm...so called "black people" in America should not even be considering themselves "black" using a European/White lexicon. I am an African man, merely displaced in the West. Yes, nationally I am "African-American", but I am African at heart, mind, and spirit, therefore, the African comes first. "Black" tells me nothing about who and what I am, as well as where I have come from. Therefore, I don't consider people like the brother Omowale or any other Africans as "black people" either. They are simply another thread in the outstanding unified cultural fabric of Continental and Diasporic Africans.

What makes the word African anymore valid as a descriptor of US than black?

Is the word "Africa" originated by or from US?

How is that word any less white/euro lexicon than black?

Was it not US who initiated the culture of referring to ourselves as "black" in retiring the term negro?

Is a blond-haired, blue-eyed caucasian born and raised in Kwazulu-natal more or less "African" than you?

Black suits me just fine.

If an African, a Jamaican, a cuban, a brit or an american refers to themself as black it leaves little doubt who/what they are identifying as.

The title of this thread accurately reflects the cultural divide between black people who share ancestral lineage but currently reside on two different continents.

militant

Jun 21, 2005
OmowaleX said:
Why take offense.

IGNORANCE DOES BREED IGNORANCE.

Regardless of the source.

This is not a personal matter but I LIVE with an "African" name.
And I know the historical significance of the name "Omowale", especially that it was also given to Brother Malcolm X, when he visited Nigeria. The name "Omowale" meant "the child who came back home (to Africa)". So much for Blacks in Africa not considering Blacks in America as part of them!

So, I SEE and EXPERIENCE ignorance, from both sides.
And I see it from both sides also. However, given America's extreme culture of white supremacy and anti-africanism, it is very logical that Blacks in America have a greater share of the ignorance when it comes to Blacks in Africa. Case in point, I was never skin colored conscious until I came to America. My mind has since then be mentally destroyed.

As far as "how many African message boards have you visited in your entire lifetime"....quite a number. And I have had quite an extensive contact with "Africans" as my family used to be in the import/export business and my father OWNED and OPERATED an "African" Restaurant for close to 15 years.
Well you are unique. You cannot honeslty claim that holds generally true. Ludacris was called Shaka Zulu during the BET Hip Hop awards because he visited Africa and has an African medallion.

So I do not "blindly" blame anyone for anything

My OPINIONS are based on my experience.

For example, since you ask....

http://www.blacknet.co.uk/chat
I am very aware of that site. It is not even a pro-African site. It is a pro-carribean-british site. Africans are denigrated and degraded on a daily basis on that site. This particular jobless lowlife member of the site, who ironically calls himself "BlackPower" is the most notorious for anti-Africanism. Not a single action has been taken on that site to check his inflammatory statements.

Before I came back to Destee.com last year (I remember when this site was part of AFRONET), I used to post at the above site and Blackplanet.com
I am aware of blackplanet. It is even worse than Blackchat.

If you have spent any time at the above site (in the link) you would know that it has been shut down several times and MOST of the " Africans" view "AA's" as "Westerners".
Which ones did you visit? Must be the kenyan Tanzanian ones who have no common ancestry with yall. Yall go there, get abused and you come back generalizing it on all Africans including West Africans!

I got so tired of this divisive mentality that I stopped posting and returned to Destee.com because at least there are a few folks here, such as brothers Aquil and Oldsoul, who I have learned from.
I barely post on any messageboard whatsoever. Divisive mentality is everywhere. I have about given up on the black race!

I can also refer you to some "Nigerian" sites which are not very receptive of "AA's" and are also rather internally divided between Christians and Muslims.
Oh...please, Nigerians are not receptive to even Nigerians period! Every man must stand for himself is the Nigerian policy. Its all about confidence. You should see the way we debate ourselves. Yall cant just take the heat. If you maintained your confidence and stance, despite the heat, you will see the non-receptiveness turn into respect!

As I stated, we must examine the SOURCE of this division, in a critical manner, for US to understand how WE got here in the first place. In the face of all reaction and opposition to do so.
Could it be that we have a flawed definition of Pan-Africanism to begin with?

If WE do not do so in a critical manner how else will we remedy our internal conflicts and division?
Well, then lets redefine Pan-Africanism. Starting with the admission that not all African communities are equal!

ShemsiEnTehuti

Aug 28, 2006
Florida, USA
kemetkind said:
What makes the word African anymore valid as a descriptor of US than black?

Is the word "Africa" originated by or from US?

How is that word any less white/euro lexicon than black?
Again, I'll only say it once more, "black" says nothing about where someone comes from. There are so called "black" indigenous people in India, China, Japan, Phillipines, Australia, America, Taiwan and the Southeast Pacific Islands. These people, at one time in prehistory migrated from Asia, but prior from Africa, however today they are not of the same African lineage and culture and most do not identify as such. It is not about what word is more "valid", it is about which is more appropriate when defining yourself in another people's language. Furthermore, "black" in the European lexicon is negative, and no one can dispute that. The word "black" has its roots in the Latin "niger" and "negro" which are derogatory on levels that I do not have time here to expand upon. Therefore, calling someone or something "black" has a negative connotation along mild lines of the N-word.

kemetkind said:
Was it not US who initiated the culture of referring to ourselves as "black" in retiring the term negro?
No. I do not mean to be condescending (if you are taking me that way), but you should get an Oxford English Dictionary. It breaks down where English words come from quite often. The Oxford English Dictionary referred to African people as "black" as early as CE 1400. Obviously, the term has been used ever since along side with "negro".

kemetkind said:
Is a blond-haired, blue-eyed caucasian born and raised in Kwazulu-natal more or less "African" than you?
They are not African at all in terms of ethnicity. Let's not confuse nationalism for ethnicity here. There are at least thousands, of Africans born in Europe every year who are certainly European by nationality, but that did not change who their African selves were.

kemetkind said:
If an African, a Jamaican, a cuban, a brit or an american refers to themself as black it leaves little doubt who/what they are identifying as.
Only to ignorant Westerners who have engrossed their mind with the presence of racism where they can't see anything beyond that. This included myself also at one time.

kemetkind said:
The title of this thread accurately reflects the cultural divide between black people who share ancestral lineage but currently reside on two different continents.
There is a cultural divide, I agree. However, I know many Ethiopians, Nigerians, Tanzanians, and so forth who will tell you that they are not "black" (in the European sense), even if they call themselves black in their respective language. The word "black" to describe African people is derogatory and cultureless (in a European lexicon), that is why it does not encompass African people at all whether on the Continent or in the Diaspora.

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
militant said:
I have about given up on the black race!
Brother Militant ... i hate reading the above ... :cry: ... don't give up on us, please. We need you. I need you.

:heart:

Destee

Bluewater

Jun 11, 2003
Baltimore, MD
Occupation
Praising The Lord
Greeting My Brothers & Sisters
I taken the time to read the responds in the thread, and all I really have to say is thank you.

I have spent a large part of my life trying to find out as much as I can about my African ancestry. I never been to Africa and I don't know if I ever will go, because of the cost and expensive, but I know since I've been a member of this forum I have learned a great deal that I do share with others.

We all have common ground in many ways. The exploitation of our brothers in sisters because of the European invasion in Africa. The ones who remained on African soil became victims to. This was never mention in my history class. But what I found out later. Debating is away of open ones thoughts to different sides to a common ground.

Naturally I reject everything I learned from the European because to me they are lies, that never worked in the best interest of my people, and what knowledge they have that do makes sense was stolen from our ancestors, the western dictionary defines the word black in a negative form, so this is a plus for me I define myself as Black because Black to me is a culture. To me it says I’m of African descendent. I use African American to define what part of the world I am from. This is what works for me now, until I find out more that will lead me in that direction of peace.

The one thing that the European are afraid of is our bonding, Because once we have learned to come together as one, all that was taken from US will be taken back by US. So we can't give up.

Ashe

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.
Ms Drea wrote on yahsistah's profile.
Welcome Back Sister!!
Love and Blessings!!
Hey Sister Destee just logged in to say Love you and miss you much! Hope you are well.
Destee wrote on candeesweet's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! :love: ... it's good to see you! I hope you and yours are all well and staying safe. I Love You! :kiss: