Black Spirituality Religion : Some advice: the universe, existence, God?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by writer33, Mar 31, 2014.

1. writer33

writer33 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +85
    Sometimes I ask: Who are we? What are we? Where are we?

Being new here, I'd gladly welcome your thoughts on faith and existence. Like what "study group" might I join? Or where, or how best to explore our humanity, each other, ourselves? I have one good friend here I met some years ago on Black Singles. I respect her, her very keen mind, her persistence in citing, and sometimes challenging spiritual matters.

All human history is filled with monuments to a god or gods of some nature, from pyramids to temples and sacrificial alters, all in variations of belief in some mysterious unseen power of nature and the universe. Of some spirit of the universe, of a deity called God by some, Allah by others and other names, Great Spirit, Ra, Jehovah, Osiris, etc.

Even in disagreement, which we all do with wars and bloodshed over them, all faiths share an expectation after death of a world or existence "beyond" where they meet some awakening and enlightenment in joining the ultimate spirit of existence. Even agnostics, atheists and skeptics believe in something, perhaps less defined in recognition of the limits of human knowledge and understandings, which often stir greater philosophical and spiritual yearnings to study, contemplate, discover deeper thoughts and find clues to the unknown.

Like whatever happened to the "God particle" that was expected to lead to a unified theory? I'm not a physicist or scientist, just a journalist with deep interest in these things. Big Bang presupposes a "beginning" of some kind. Then finding of an Einstein paper from 1931 with an alternative to what we now know as the Big Bang theory, proposing instead that the universe expanded steadily and eternally, a theory championed by British astrophysicist Fred Hoyle nearly 20 years later.

The February 2004 Discover suggested "a cosmic history that continues forever, a multidimensional universe," and that the Big Bang was merely part of "an infinite cycle of titanic collisions between our universe and a parallel world" (existence) of some kind. That is why, for me, the Big Bang -- a beginning -- suggest, then, that God, too, had to have a beginning. Possibly some even greater God in some far off, or far greater existence? I do believe science gives us clues to God that are beyond the limits of scripture, but helps confirm our need for morality and truth.

I tend to base my faith more on science than on scripture. Dr. Jeffrey Satinover had quoted a theoretical physicist, that the universe is filled with "waves of active intelligence." Energy as string theory? Scripture has its scientific limits, given the periods of its origins.

I take a Pantheistic view that God is everything that exists, the universe, black holes, galaxies, solar systems, dark energy, dark matter, magnetic fields, genetics and things our human limits cannot know, are all what God/Allah, etc is.

So I tend to believe no single religion knows all, but like a giant puzzle, all religions have pieces of the truth, each shaped a little differently, Christian, Jew, Muslim, Native American, African, Buddhist, Hindu, indigenous faiths. Like a church window, with so many different colors gleaming in on us, yet they all come from the same source. And to reach out and learn from each other can be our unifying language, to begin to have a sense of God that extends far beyond scripture and which science can take us further out to connect to our universe, God, our inner selves, and each other.

This is where I am now. And my one close friend here has provided part of that journey, as well as dear African friends, Muslim friends, a Buddhist or two, a Jewish think tank....and the wonders from Egypt, Stonehenge, the Maya, the prophets, philosophers, nature and science.

And what more can I find? And what kinds of unexpected turns will new information take me? And what kinds of human enlightenment is "out there" waiting, to help make further connections within?

And I'm thinking: so where, from here, do I go?

2. Josh X Brown

Josh X Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +156
    As Salaam Alaikum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a Lesson in all of Gods creation if we are mindful.
    Just yesterday I was thinking of our solar system and How each planet of our solar system is effected by the light of Sun.
    Each planet is different but is under the same Laws of gravity and Motion. When the light of the Sun hits each planet they all rotate at 1037 1/3 mph.
    When we look at most major religions they all have there differences and similarities but if you study them they are under the same Laws and only directed by 1 God but yet there is no peace and Harmony between them.Why?

Most people in religions get caught up with the Title and demoralize the Truth in which the religion should represent. The religion should be the outward expression of our faith in the creator.
    We should all ask ourselves Does my way of life reflect the Title of the religion I choose to be under?

If I am A Jew then why do I dislike Christians and Muslims?

If I am A Christian why do I dislike Jews and Muslim?

If I am a Muslims why do I dislike Jews and Christians?

They all represent the same God but have become disconnected with God that's why there is no peace between them.

With those three they all should be Submitting there will to do the will of God, they all should become One with God and they all should be fallowing the Laws of God given to them through the one God sent to them.

The Problem is the Heart thinks he is better than the lungs and the lungs thinks he is better than the stomach. When they all have to do what God created them to do to keep the human being alive.

We should Focus on Living instead of Dieing.
    God is ONE so his people should Be ONE.

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    each person is a self contained universe...
    whether or not that universe is good or evil is dependent on the individual...

one love
    khasm

4. writer33

United States
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hi Josh and Khasm13....

I appreciate your comments. When I was thinking what study group might be a good one, I felt none seemed to fit me. I'm not an atheist, although I am somewhat of a skeptic. I have left my Christian background enough to not wish to be trapped in it. I have a few close Muslim friends, etc. And I am beginning to read a Qur'an now so I might understand more what that faith is about.

But I don't want to limit myself strictly within any of them. There is so much out there to explore.

Coincidentally, just today in fact, I found a piece from the Huffington Post science page, featuring an article from Scientific American about the new discovery of "gravitational waves" that raises new possibilities of the existence of not just one universe, but a multiverse as I had read in that 2004 Discovery Magazine mentioned above. A few quotes:

Ripples in space time "called inflation, and with it, some say, the idea that our universe is one of many universes floating like bubbles in a glass of champagne." (That brought to mind my Ph.D. friend in genetics who spoke of a universe in a "liquid state")

"Inflation might also mean that what we consider the universe—is just one small corner of space, a pocket where inflation stopped and allowed matter to condense, galaxies and stars to form, and life to evolve. Elsewhere, beyond the observable universe, spacetime may still be inflating, with other “bubble” universes forming whenever inflation stops in one location."

And this comment: "There doesn’t seem to be anything unique about the event we call the big bang. It is a reproducible event that could and would happen again, and again, and again.”

I remember a discussion with a friendly atheist when we talked about these things. We actually agreed on the "process" of what we know about the universe, but he gently inferred that I was "reading God" into a natural process. And I understand his skepticism. And I replied that, yes, I do read God into the process -- because the "process" IS God, as I see it.

The scientific debate over a multiverse theory continues, and now heating up again with this discovery from the "Background Imaging of Cosmic Extragalactic Polarization 2 (BICEP2) experiment at the South Pole, which saw imprints in the cosmic microwave background."

Then the theoretical physicists who find the multiverse idea difficult because it is unprovable. "In addition to seeing the multiverse idea—and the anthropic principle it enables—as a cop-out, skeptics charge that it is impossible to test, because theory predicts other bubble universes would be permanently out of reach and unobservable."

Maybe this adds to the mystery of God: unprovable, but does not mean it does not exist. And, contrarily, the absence of God is equally unprovable. We are simply finite humans, incapable therefore of demonstrating, let alone proof of infinity and infinite possibilities in the yet undiscovered regions of dark matter and dark energy in this universe, and certainly any universes far beyond it -- or even the existence of far greater God, Allah, Ra, Supreme Spirit far far beyond this universe, and this God.

I find it all fascinating as hell (pardon me), and tantalizing.

5. writer33

United States
    Ratings:
    +85
    Josh, I liked your comment:

"When we look at most major religions they all have there differences and similarities but if you study them they are under the same Laws and only directed by 1 God but yet there is no peace and Harmony between them.Why?"

That "why" is a question we all ask ourselves, and yet have no answers. I recently caught a glimpse of an article that raises a question in human genetics (not in this case my Ph.D friend) of a self-destructive genetic feature in all of humanity. Our constant distrust, tribal instincts, ethnic and race conflicts, nation-state mindsets, wars, etc might bear that out.

But what would be the reason for it? Of course, if you're God/Allah, etc, you don't need a "reason." Maybe just all part of the perfect order of things, existence being all cyclical, birth-death-rebirth without end -- from atomic and molecular nanoseconds to light years and muli-universes.

And your point, Khasm, that we are little miniature universes, but only in a way since we don't control all our bodily functions. They, too, are part of the much larger cycles of an ongoing existence so much greater than ourselves. This, in turn, makes me also wonder: levels of consciousness, morality/evil, love/hate -- to rebirth, reincarnation, transcendence? And with some natural variations, to do all these things again, and again, and again....

6. Josh X Brown

Josh X Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +156
    As Salaam Alaikum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think we could look into the heavens to find the answer.

7. writer33

United States
    Ratings:
    +85
    Well, Josh, I've spelled out my perceptions as they exist at this point in time. Can you suggest who, or what group or study group, might be a place where I could learn more, and be open to change? I have two friends here from Black Singles, one I had lost total contact with when so many gravitated from BSC to a newer group, RealDealRelationships, and then RDR kind of drifted apart. It was a nice surprise to run into her here.

My other friend here gravitated to Facebook and we got back in touch there, then I was so pleasantly surprised to find her again here. I know she goes backwards in time further, well before Christianity, Islam and Judaism....to Egyptian spirituality. I've read something of the Book of the Dead which, to me, is really a book about living life with deep connections to our natural world, from what I've read. That's where I need help in clarifying those more ancient connections, recognizing while there are similarities between ancient faiths around the world, there is borrowing and re-stating ancient traditions to suit new social sets -- in other words, plagiarizing religions, such as the issues surrounding a white Jesus by the Roman church.

There seems to be so much brilliance and depth of mind in so many of the ancient cultures, and wonderings of possible alien visitations that "seeded" the Earth. I'm not quite ready to go with that one yet, but matters of rebirth and reincarnation of the spirit into newer human generations I do find intriguing. And then I have to ask: are the same old spirits of past civilizations simply being rebirthed, again and again, into later versions, or are there new spirits being created in that mix as well -- from other sources, maybe not even Earthly ones?

I'd really like to persuade my friend from BSC and others to join, frankly because I could use more enlightenment about it.

8. GatekeeperCrow

GatekeeperCrow Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Writer
    Ratings:
    +84
    I am with you that all religious lines of thought are actually more like one line of thought about one being. I refer to the being that I believe created all things as either the Source or the All. The Source because it is the source of all things, including both male and female deities. The All because it contains all things within it in order to be able to create all things. Matter and anti-matter, light, dark, good evil, male, female, Earth and water, air and fire, spirit and the corporeal, all in another realm of existence connected to the physical. I see the similarities in religions before I see the differences, and believe that religions are more philosophical thought than religious thought, all bits and pieces of a greater whole, not to be taken individually, but together.

9. writer33

United States
    Ratings:
    +85
    Thank you, Gatekeeper....I very much appreciate your similarity of thinking on this. And as for where I am, I don't have answers. Only more questions, based on a sense of where I am, and what seems where we all are....on different paths, yet heading toward an opening, of some passage into some new, but for us, an unexplored dimension of some kind. Yet I still want to find my way through this one, to learn and better understand and more thoroughly anticipate the spiritual, and even real, road ahead...whatever it may be. Again, thanks.....

10. Michael Smith

Michael Smith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Advertisment
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Peace writer33... great to meet you and welcome... I agree with your assessment concerning Religion and it's overwhelming influence... I'm influenced by the thinking and actions of Benevolence... which is Spiritual... having said that... please view one of the post's from my site...

OUR TRUE ORGINS...Peace to all and may Benevolence be your guide... (Bulletin # 2)

All gratitude and praise is for The Most High, the provider of life and intellect. The Most High is neither a Person, Place or Thing and is beyond any form of comprehension.

This knowledge is not influenced by the view of a Christian, Muslim or Israelite, nor is this knowledge influenced by any secret society, cult or denomination. This knowledge is influenced by All of the Scriptures and related literature COMBINED, ABSENT of Religion.

Question; What is the difference between our Lifegiver and our Creator? Answer; Beyond 76 Trillion years ago.

THE MOST HIGH the provider of life and intellect, through thought processes designed and implemented the State of "NOTHINGNESS", which lasted Trillions of years based on our perception of time. Then designed and implemented the state of "SOMETHINGNESS" which is Darkness and the Mental state of exsistence (intellect or thought), within the state of darkness that existed Trillions of years, evolved Mental Entities named Ethereins. These mental entities are without form and are of pure energy with 720 degrees of Intellect, 360 degrees of Benevolence and 360 degrees of Malevolence, communicating through mental telepathy and other mental capabilities. All of this was prior to the beginning of light and the physical state of existence. THE MOST HIGH The provider of life and intellect , designed and implemented the original HYDROGEN Atom, which included LIGHT and ALL PHYSICAL MATTER. Then...as all of the scriptures combined reveal...the original HYDROGEN ATOM was placed amidst the state of "SOMETHINGNESS / DARKNESS". It took Trillions of years for the ORIGINAL HYDROGEN ATOM to reach it's ultimate stage of development...then exploded outward in every direction... THE CATACLYSM (Big Bang) which was the initial beginning of LIGHT AND ALL PHYSICAL MATTER THROUGHOUT THE UNIVERSE. THE CATACLYSM OCCURED 76 TRILLION YEARS AGO!...hurling great masses of gases into space in every direction, in the succeeding stages of development, further explosions and fragmentation's produced smaller bodies throughout the Universe. These like Trillions of other smaller bodies whirled at tremendous speeds and eventually began to settle in various places throughout the Universe, occording to the force that was behind their outward thrust.

Life forms developed in the midst of these developing stages, Trillions of years before our solar system was completely developed! These heavenly bodies (galaxies) did not settle in a rigid manner, they continued to revolve at a slower rate, maintaining certain positions in relationship to each other,these positions were based on the forces of gravity and attraction. One of the sparks that was hurled from an already burning mass (our sun), became our solar system of originally 10 planets, rotating around our burning mass (our sun) like electrons rotating around a nucleus...therefore this by no means was an accident. My Teacher Dr M.Z. York, taught from all of the scriptures and related literature COMBINED...The Bible, The Qur'an, The Raatib, The Book Of Light, The Egyptian Book Of The Dead, The Writings of Confucius, The Book of Arishkegal, The Akkadian Tablets, The Gilgamesh Epics, The Enuma Elish, Tablets Of Anzu, and the Sumer Tablets...that reveal in the beginning stages of the development of our solar system, other sparks or solar systems cooled Billions of years prior to our solar system's development. Therefore developing physically and intellectually Billions of years sooner. At this point it would be safe to say, we are on the TAIL END of existence and on the lowest level of Intelligent Thought.

All seen and unseen derives from THE MOST HIGH THE PROVIDER OF LIFE AND INTELLECT, which stands to reason that ALL GRATITUDE AND PRAISE IS FOR THE MOST HIGH, It's from where ALL derives... Next Bulletin: What is the name of the MOST HIGH?... to be continued, Peace