Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa
Our people are in deeper suffering:

Somali refugees: No food to break Ramadan fast
Extravagant dinners to break fast unthinkable this year for most Somalis

DADAAB, KenyaAs the Islamic holy month of Ramadan begins, Faduma Aden is fasting all day even though she doesn't have enough food to celebrate with a sundown feast. The Somali mother of three, who fled starvation in her homeland, says she fasts because she fears God.

In a Ramadan statement Monday, President Barack Obama said fasting can be used to "increase spirituality, discipline, and consciousness of God's mercy." Obama said now is a time for the world to come together to support famine relief efforts.

"The heartbreaking accounts of lost lives and the images of families and children in Somalia and the Horn of Africa struggling to survive remind us of our common humanity and compel us to act," Obama said.

Some in the communities around the Dadaab refugee camp are stepping forward to help. At the Dagahaley refugee camp, part of the larger Dadaab camps, three distribution centers run by local elders provide food and money each day for more than 1,000 families and individuals.

Click link to view video report:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4397763...t/somali-refugees-no-food-break-ramadan-fast/

kenya%20east%20africa%20famine-995144626_v2.grid-6x2.jpg

A man feeds his child Monday at a field hospital run by the International Rescue Committee in Dadaab, Kenya.

Peace In,

In the Spirit of Sankofa

DADAAB, KenyaAs the Islamic holy month of Ramadan begins, Faduma Aden is fasting all day even though she doesn't have enough food to celebrate with a sundown feast. The Somali mother of three, who fled starvation in her homeland, says she fasts because she fears God.

In a Ramadan statement Monday, President Barack Obama said fasting can be used to "increase spirituality, discipline, and consciousness of God's mercy." Obama said now is a time for the world to come together to support famine relief efforts.

"The heartbreaking accounts of lost lives and the images of families and children in Somalia and the Horn of Africa struggling to survive remind us of our common humanity and compel us to act," Obama said.

Some in the communities around the Dadaab refugee camp are stepping forward to help. At the Dagahaley refugee camp, part of the larger Dadaab camps, three distribution centers run by local elders provide food and money each day for more than 1,000 families and individuals.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4397763...t/somali-refugees-no-food-break-ramadan-fast/

A man feeds his child Monday at a field hospital run by the International Rescue Committee in Dadaab, Kenya.

Peace In,
Wow, Bro. Clyde, I saw this story on the news yesterday. It is such a sad state that Somalia is in. This is a very powerful
piece and deserves our immediate attention. There but by the grace of God goes America, if we don't get a grip on the issues at hand. We have no idea what the Political Parties in power now will do or not do next. What perdictament will America find itself in from actions taken by some who seem to be hell bent on getting President Obama out of office, by any means necessary, regardless of whom gets hurt. We as Blacks need to really, ( I mean REALLY) stick together in Unity to assure our race that we can sustain and support each other, if and when that time arises. All of the debating going on..the pros and cons of the subjects are fine. I think its makes for a healthy atmosphere in our community, as long as its respectful. In the meantime, all of us who can, lets make a donation to the Somalians. God knows I wouldn't want it to be us!! Thanks for sharing this Clyde, It opened my eyes as to what really is important. WE must prepare ourselves to be SURVIORS!!

Wow, Bro. Clyde, I saw this story on the news yesterday. It is such a sad state that Somalia is in. This is a very powerful
piece and deserves our immediate attention. There but by the grace of God goes America, if we don't get a grip on the issues at hand. We have no idea what the Political Parties in power now will do or not do next. What perdictament will America find itself in from actions taken by some who seem to be hell bent on getting President Obama out of office, by any means necessary, regardless of whom gets hurt. We as Blacks need to really, ( I mean REALLY) stick together in Unity to assure our race that we can sustain and support each other, if and when that time arises. All of the debating going on..the pros and cons of the subjects are fine. I think its makes for a healthy atmosphere in our community, as long as its respectful. In the meantime, all of us who can, lets make a donation to the Somalians. God knows I wouldn't want it to be us!! Thanks for sharing this Clyde, It opened my eyes as to what really is important. WE must prepare ourselves to be SURVIORS!!

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......yvw butterfly#1 and thanks for reading and commenting,

The only world issue larger than our dept problem here in America, would be this devastating famine occurring in Africa, Kenya. The sheer numbers of those affected are staggering, to say the least.

Rather than a worldly clarion call from national leaders concerning the problems of Somalians, all we get is coverage, as to say look, see, we reported on it.

As you put it, this very thing in DADAAB Kenya could happen to us here in America by the powers that be that are attempting to ensure Mr. Obama doesn't get a second term; even though there are no formidable opponents running or to run against him.

Peace In,

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Somalia famine: WFP begins 800-ton airlift of food

The World Food Program is sending 800 metric tons of high energy biscuits to East Africa to help fight the famine in Somalia.
The U.N. food agency said Tuesday that the series of nine airlifts will be enough to feed 1.6 million people for a day. The biscuits are being delivered to Kenya for onward delivery throughout the Horn of Africa.
More than 12 million people are suffering from the effects of drought in East Africa.
The U.S. on Monday announced an additional $105 million in aid for famine relief efforts. The top U.S. aid official said during a trip to a refugee camp in Kenya that models show that hundreds of thousands of Somali children could die in the famine if there is not a strong aid response.
http://www.timesonline.com/news/wor...cle_2b730fb9-2cfc-5405-9704-f1d2cfdbeb9a.html

Peace In Family...this is serious,

In the Spirit of Sankofa

Peace In,

At this moment,I am both grateful that you highlighted this devestation and my heart aches by what I saw. It's so easy to grow desensitized to tragedies abroad. This reminds me of the importance in fasting and prayer. Yes, my brothers and sisters need their physical needs met and I implore us all to reach into our pockets and do what we can to assist, which is really helping us as a people. In addition, when you fast and pray, you are in a state of sensitivity and cleansing..allowing you to feel the pain of others, and you are driven by a higher power to passionately take action and make a difference. Of course, I am conscious of the many beliefs and respect them.

I will be praying for their deliverance in the natural and in spirit, and though fasting is a lifestyle, this lights another purpose in my sacrificial offering.

Thank you Brother Clyde, I am deeply touched.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back