Brother AACOOLDRE : Socrates & Jesus death: Similarities in here

Discussion in 'AACOOLDRE' started by AACOOLDRE, Apr 12, 2016.

1. AACOOLDRE

AACOOLDRE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +400
    SIMILARITIES
    OF SOCRATES & JESUS DEATH

By Andre Austin

The martyr Socrates went down in history in 399BC drinking the Hemlock poison at the ripe old age of 70. According to the Nelson’s New Compact Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Hemlock is also translated gall or wormwood. The only difference I can see between Jesus and Socrates is that Jesus spit out the gall (hemlock), or just tasted it when it was mixed with wine while he was hanging on a tree/cross (Matthew 27:34). I think Socrates death was unnecessary when he could of easily requested banishment from the courts. He basically participated in injustice, wrong and sin thinking he was in the right.

While in prison Socrates had a conversation with Crito giving his reasons to submit to the State’s sentence of death by slurping down the hemlock. Some of his reasons run parallel to the Stoic principles outlined in the New Testament. In Crito Socrates states he should die because:

1. Disobeying the law was like sedition or attempting to destroy the law. Destroying the law was wrong and “Not even, when wronged, wrong in return…we must do no wrong at all” To injure the Law by disobeying it when ill-treated is wrong in Socrates mind. I know King would disagree with his civil disobedience; but willing to take a beaten for it nonviolently. Socrates think he has a social contract with the Commonwealth that gave him life through allowing his father and mother to get married and he doesn’t want to take part in the destruction of the law. He elevates State with God, a serious flaw.

2. Socrates then goes on to state: “Are you so wise that you failed to see that something more reverend, more holy, of greater value, as the God’s judge, and any men that have sense? You must honor and obey and conciliate your country when angry, more than a father; you must either persuade her, or do whatever she commands; you must bear in quiet anything she bids you bear, be it stripes or prison; or if she leads you to war, to be wounded or to die…but in war and in court and everywhere you must do whatever city country commands, or else convince her where the right lies. Violence is not allowed against mother or father, much less against your country. What shall we answer to this, Crito? Shall we say the laws are speaking the truth or not”.

Socrates last sentence to Crito is “God is leading us”.

Lets square Socrates Testimony 450 years later with 1 Peter 2:13-22 to see if we have some DNA or if they were ripping pages out of Plato’s works:

Submit yourselves for the lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and commend those who do right. For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men…show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the King.

Slaves, submit yourselves to your master with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and endure it, this is commendable before God?? To this you were called because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps”.

He committed sin,

And no deceit was found in his mouth” Peter quotes Isaiah 53:9 running a parallel to Socrates line about speaking the truth.

Traditionally Christ/Messiah figures were expected and did save people from slavery, physical abuse/harm and political oppression. JC reverses the role of Christ/Messiah with his ministry in 30AD offering no relief with the above injustices but to inform you to endure it and follow the abuse in his footsteps. So JC died for the sins of mankind turning upside down personal repentance to sins, but advises followers to take up a cross (Mark 10:21). Apparently JC wasn’t successfully in anything because people are still sinning, killing and stealing like it ain’t no tomorrow. The only thing I can see was successful was making the masses of the people docile to slavery, feudalism, serfdom all gift wrapped in chains.

I think I’m starting to like that old school song by Prince even more today. I think the name is I wouldn’t die for you.