Black People : Social networking bane or boon for progress?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    what if every facebook and twtter and other social networks would be able to view your posts for a period of 5 years,
    to let black folks all over the planet read your posts?

would you be happy about that or revise some things before it happens?:10500:

2. Bxblasta

Bxblasta Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +160
    I believe Facebook already stores your information on their servers for a number of years before it gets deleted or refreshed. I think Facebook and twitter is good for catching up with old friends and family, but I also think it has replaced physically socializing with people and instead promotes mechanical and computerized relationships opposed to getting to know someone face to face. People also put too much info on these site, too many people are snitching on themselves.

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    To a certain degree I agree with you which is why I limit the amount of personal information I share with "outsiders". But as far as promoting mechanical and computerized relationships as opposed to knowing someone face to face, the same can be same of sites such as this which actually share less personal information and are not as socially interactive.

I'm not much of a FB user, since I have a larger network at myspace which I established long before FB. But I do recognize the potential of sites such as FB in organizing various types of campaigns if its nothing more than a family reunion. I have a cousin who have brought together thousands of my extended family, most who I have never met or heard of except through this cousin connections.

The same for some of my alumni groups. FB is a more cost effective method of reaching larger number of people at virtually ZERO cost.

I think that what this necessitates is some balanc because one can get to used to interactive media rather than real-time personal interaction.

But given the past effectiveness of disruptive, repressive measures taken aggainst Black community organizers at least interactive media does enable one to "weed out" and "purge" undesirable elements from one's network.

And I have been telling folks for years than I no longer focus on "organizations" in the traditional sense but focus on "networking" instead because de-centralized networks are more difficult for our enemies to infiltrate and control.

4. Bxblasta

Bxblasta Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +160
    When I say that Facebook is more computer and mechanical oriented when it come to relationships and face to face physical contact, im speaking more in the context of social networks, this site is a forum not a social network.