Computers - Software Hardware : Social Media and Leadership (FOLLOW ME)

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by UBNaturally, Jan 24, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    How often do you ask, what is a follower and where are all of the followers?

Probably never, as we often ask "Where are all the leaders?"

Such a question has been inverted to some degree via social media and the normal abnormality of me-ism... the desire for self aggrandizing and the semi-exploitation of the young mind that has yet to understand what "power" and "authority" consists of.

Why would anyone desire another to "follow them", unless it is their offspring that are in need of course correction or protection from themselves?

I recall a young man by the name of Barry Sanders, when in his prime within the sport of football, was so humble and quiet, that when he retired, the sound reverberation was so low that he essentially snuck out the back door leaving everyone with their mouth opened unsure of what to say.

Barry never asked anyone for attention or to follow him, there was no "twitter" or "facebook" then, yet his accomplishments, even within the minor context of playing organized sports, was far more than any of these pseudo-celebrities that grew up watching and desiring to be the same.

Yet when they tell you to "follow me"... does anyone ever ask "where to?"

Though I am "Following" Destee :wavey:

Respect

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    :hello: UBNaturally ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :wave:

Thanks for joining us and sharing!

Yes, i agree ... the "following" phrase is a little weird ... but it seems to be fast becoming the norm.

In fact, i think we've had discussions about this before ... the weirdness of it all.

I can say though, that destee.com was here long before the "following" phrase was coined ... :yaay:

While i too find it a bit weird, being so involved with web technology makes it kinda hard to escape.

The Internet has provided a way for the average person to have "followers" they may never have had.

While the weirdness is present, the opportunity it presents is just as real too, providing everyone a platform.

If one is saying or doing something worth following, reading about, keeping up with, folk can easily do that.

I do agree though, seems there would be a better word for it ... but i guess there isn't ... ??

I've not thot on this much ... but what word would fit better in your opinion ... describing what is taking place?

I'm not even sure what "following" me here on destee provides, probably an alert when i post or something?

The term is actually built into the software ... but let's use it, since we bought it ... :wink:

I'm following you too ... :love:

Not in a stalker kinda way ... but in a ... i'm so glad you joined us way! ... :yaay:

Great Topic ... and thanks again for joining us and sharing! Make yourself right at home!

Much Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Sister ... you bring up a good point too, that i failed to speak on ... the children.

This term has connotations that an adult might easily be able to differentiate ... but a child ... ?? ... hmmm.

It gets kinda murky ... scarey even ... imagining how a child might internalize such a term as "following."

The term almost suggests that you agree with, or believe in, or wanna be like ... this person you're following.

It may even play a part in their own decisions ... striving to be like the person they are "following."

This, when they really don't know the person ... only the image they've portrayed online.

It could get ugly ... making them vulnerable to a person they don't even know ... :eeek:

Hopefully parents are on their J.O.B. ... and monitoring their babies Internet activities.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee