Black People : So messed up....

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by gogounited, Aug 14, 2011.

1. gogounited

gogounited Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +358
    So my friends and I were out after work at a local bar. We go there often because we all work at the same restaurant and they hook us up because we bring in a bit of a crowd.

Anyhow, on this particular night (karaoke night) we all got off late and the bar was just about closed down, no music, lights are almost all off. Karaoke lady was getting drunk at the bar in fact, and there were only three people in there when we arrived.

So, there's this short white guy buying everyone shots. We refused as we didn't know if we were gonna stay and were debating as to going someplace else, (waiting for the rest of the staff to show up) and we're just sitting at our table by the bar having a quick beer and talking amongst ourselves, trying to sort out a plan.

And then this black dude walks in all decked out in red. He sits at the bar next to the short, white dude and orders a drink. The white guy immediately goes up to him inquiring about the color of his clothing, dunno what he said as I didn't exactly hear it but he was looking dude up and down and standing back a bit, as if it had something to do with his clothes. All I heard was the black dude tell him, "I am a grown-*** man and I'll wear whatever the **** I want." He wasn't exactly hostile, but very direct, not unfriendly but blunt at the same time.

So my co-workers and I are just enjoying our drinks and stuff, paying no mind when everyone decides to go outside for a smoke. While we're out there, the black guy comes out and joins us. We talk about football and just as everyone goes back inside, the white dude comes out. I notice he doesn't have a cigarette or anything and I'm wondering why he's come out. He keeps looking at this black guy all crazy, basically following with his eyes wherever the dude goes. So I linger for a bit outside to see what he'll do.

He comes right up to me, and I could tell he was pretty drunk. I ask if he would like a cigarette and he says no. Then he proceeds to tell me that he only came outside to make sure "that guy" wasn't causing any trouble. I ask him which, knowing full well what he meant, but digging for info all the same. And then I asked him why he thought dude was trouble. He says he's a corrections officer and the guy just got out of prison at the same facility which he worked at. So I'm like, he's free now right? Did his time, just going out for a beer, trying to socialize, what's the problem, right?

Dude, all drunk and mumbling says something about the guy whipping out his thang in front of him at the bar and how he is a threat to other people and since he is a corrections officer, he claims he's somehow liable to protect the public from such a nuisance. I tell him to pipe down and just enjoy his beer, let dude enjoy his too - no one is being threatened and no one is bothered. Just have a beer and good time, leave it be. He puts his hands out to me and makes this gesture like stop right there. He tells me to shush up (wtf? lol) and goes on about how dude is going to be trouble and he is obligated as a corrections officer to prevent it. I leave him outside and go back in to pee.

So I'm walking by the bar to the bathroom and I stop to talk to the black dude. I tell him that the white guy is a corrections officer and he has it out for him, looking for trouble. Told him I wouldn't stick around for it if I was him, cause it's just not worth it - doesn't matter if he is doing nothing wrong, the point is the deck is stacked. And I invited him to finish his beer at our table, so he could avoid the little white Napoleon.

I come out of the bathroom and they are at it again, arguing at the bar. I want to laugh because the black guy is just clowning, clearly in no way intimidated and this is making little Napoleon more and more frustrated.

Beers ensue and it looks like there will be no issue, but I keep an ear lent to the situation which I can't help as there's no **** music. Something just made me feel like there would be a lynching of some sort. The back guy was fairly drunk too and though I couldn't make out their conversation they were both getting excited and there was the air of controlled aggression I guess you could call it.

Everyone is back out for a cigarette moments later. The black guy goes back in and Napoleon gets on his phone. I hear him saying, "if you don't get here in less than five minutes, he'll be gone." I figure he's talking to the police, so I go inside and tell dude the jist of it before Napoleon can catch up. I know I'm being nosy and stuff, but **** I've seen some really bad stuff in Texas, and my fear is that they'll find an issue just to arrest the guy because I can tell that's just what Napoleon is gunning for.

So same old stuff ensues, they argue at the bar, we drink our beers and eventually everyone goes out for a smoke. The black guy doesn't bother and instead gets in his car and leaves. Napoleon is standing on the sidewalk reading his plates off to the cops as dude takes off. We're all watching as he goes, wondering what will go down next. Napoleon looks really red-faced and pissed off that his prey is getting away, yelling threats and racial slurs in front of everyone. The police pull up about five minutes later, and he goes straight up to them to talk about how some black convict was having a beer at the bar and he didn't like what he had to say! Then he straight starts lying to them saying dude shoved him and whatnot, and making lewd comments to us ladies which is absolute BS. The police go in and talk to the bartender, and then leave cracking jokes at Napoleon calling him a rookie and drunk, etc.

They lurk around in their cars for a bit and finally piss off. By this time it's about 1 a.m. and we all decide to go home. No one is left in the bar except the bartender and Napoleon, who looks to be sulking after being reprimanded by the cops. All I can help thinking is how it's super-messed up that this dude has the balls to call the police DRUNK off his *** simply because he feels no threat from them because he's a porker himself. And how messed up it is that a black man can't even go to the bar by himself, causing no trouble for anyone, just to have a freaking beer, and get harassed by some trashy, self-important corrections officer whose THRILL of the evening was to put dude back behind bars in any way possible.

And I couldn't even leave with the satisfaction of thinking Napoleon had learned a lesson.

How do you teach anything to people like that? It felt SO unfair advising that black man that he should leave, because he had done nothing wrong. And yet, part of me knew that if he didn't something bad and horribly unfair would've gone down (this is Colorado Springs).

What could I have done differently, in your opinions, to help dude out and yet somehow make the situation more fair, if anything? For a minute there I wanted to ask dude to play a game of pool with me or something just to distract him from Napoleon's baiting but I didn't know if being a female, that would only make things worse in the end.

What would you have done?

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    LOL You're asking black people what they would do in this situation? That's a question I would ask another white person....

If you asked dude to play pool with him, I'm sure the white guy would have gotten even more mad that this brother was playing games with a white girl.

3. gogounited

United States
    Ratings:
    +358
    Yeah, you're right about the pool.

And I guess I'm asking black folks because after all was said and done, I couldn't help but think there was a better way to handle it. I don't trust that white people would know a better way, (I don't) so I figured to get a black person's opinion. My co-workers, who are for the most part white, didn't even notice what was going on.

4. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I've personally been in a situation at a bar where someone didn't like me being there simply cause my cousin, his friend, and I were not white. I was called a black "B-----".....

It was nice for you to try and um...stand up? for ol' dude...But I don't think there would be much else for you to do. You did what you felt was necessary.

You can't always be Captain Save-a-Black-Man

5. gogounited

United States
    Ratings:
    +358
    I think this is what bothers me about myself and that night. I mean, who was I to assume he needed help in the first place? He was totally not intimidated. And yet because of my experience with the police and Napoleon-type white folk, I felt I had to do or say something just to stave off the unfairness that I assumed would definitely have happened if the police showed up, because all of the police here are white.

I don't know, it still bothers me.

6. SPEAKFREEDOMnet

SPEAKFREEDOMnet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +147
    gogounited:
    "What could I have done differently, in your opinions, to help dude out and yet somehow make the situation more fair, if anything?.. "

1. You could have spoken up when the police arrived, rebuked his lies and told the truth.
    2. You could have and still can report his behavior to his employer.

7. gogounited

United States
    Ratings:
    +358
    Yes, I could've spoken to the police, but I avoid them if at all possible even in a situation like this. I guess that was cowardice on my part, but my registration was expired and I'd had a few beers. I have not had good relationship with the police, especially over race issues.

I would report it, but I never got names or anything. Come to think of it, after hearing your recommendation, I should've played it entirely differently. I bet I could've looked up the proper authorities on my cell and made a report right then and there. Thanks!

8. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    False reporting of a crime is a crime in many jurisdictions :).

9. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Colorado Springs, if I recall correctly is a very right-wing town.

10. SPEAKFREEDOMnet

SPEAKFREEDOMnet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +147
    Yeah..I see your point, I mean who wants to pay that BIG OLE fine for driving on a suspended licenses? What an inconvenience that would have been for you.

Although...I can't help but wonder if you would have also stood by silently and watched if the innocent brother had gotten arrested, violated (his parole), and sent back to prison?

Not to mention the GREAT possibility that he could have ended up dead (another justified homicide - pushing a correctional officer, sexually assaulting a white women, pulling a gun on a police office....what!? didn't you know we ALWAYS pull a gun on the police, and of course to seal the case, the star witness, "mr napoleon" himself. Oh and did I forget to mention that the black dude was the founder of the Blood gang? Why else would he be wearing all that red?

gogounited, I'm sure the police have a record of the inncident in question. Just perhaps it might contain "napoleon's" name and contact info...that is...if you're really that concerned.