Black Entertainment : So I just watched "Dear White People"

none taken

i just realize you didn't see the movie

because you would have known what i was referring to

There is no correction here.

Not to just obsess over this: But I'm even more confused/dumbfounded/etc., than I was before!

One more time: Exactly what was or is your gripe about Chris Rock! And was he even in the film?

Not to just obsess over this: But I'm even more confused/dumbfounded/etc., than I was before!

One more time: Exactly what was or is your gripe about Chris Rock! And was he even in the film?

chris rock was not in the film. i have no gripe with chris rock.

the actor who played a young chris in everybody hates chris stars in this movie

watch the movie and then go back to my initial comment then it will make sense

As I said in your original thread, it wasn't my type of movie, and I gave examples why. To add on, this was one of those movies that left me waiting for something that was never said, or for some scenes that should have been written in the movie, but never were. This was very similar to some of Spike Lees much earlier movies, which I wasn't always a big fan of either, like many weren't at the time. Spike Lee came a long way before his Malcolm X movie.

I feel a movie should be more than just entertaining, especially when it's based on racism like this one was. There should be some positive lesson or message in it to uplift black people if it's going to go there. At least Spike Lee would try to do that, minus "She Got to Have It", his first movie. This movie even had a little of that. I notice that was the first and last time Lee ever had black female nudity in any of his films. Maybe this brother Justin Simien should have picked up from there. Or maybe he had that black female nude in this film because he's trying to start of like Spike Lee. One way or another, that movie didn't help the image of the black female back then, and this one doesn't now, especially if it has to be done with a white boy at that. But nobody seems to care anymore, until they start disappearing, something that's been gradually happening over the years whether you noticed it or not.

Nonetheless, I saw absolutely nothing that could serve as a way ahead plan for black people after watching that movie, a time where we couldn't need one more. Again the main message I got, whether it was hidden or not, was more reason for a young black women to go IR, and no shame in a brother being gay, even while getting his butt whopped by a white boy. To me it was even worst than buffoonery because it portrayed someone similar to a young Angela Davis faking the funk, and jumping ship. If that wasn't a slap in the face to the Ferguson movement, which was going strong at the time, then I don't know what was. I even heard rumors that the only reason some of those white boys came out to Ferguson to protest was to get a chance to sleep with a black girl. No wonder so many brothers didn't want them participating. Movies like this encourages those white boys to do things like that, who could care less about our plight.

Now I see good talent in a lot of performances, whether they be drama, comedy, or whatever. I could look at "In Living Color", or "Madea", and laugh once I already started watching it...or maybe not. A professional comedian can even make some black people laugh at slavery. But when the curtain comes down, a black person with any conscious will wound up feeling ashamed, no matter how much work was put in the performance that made it so entertaining. As a result, I have nothing positive to say about those performances that leave a negative impression on black people, or ones that do nothing but open a can of worms, as this film did, without leaving a positive message to uplift the race. Therefore I try to avoid watching them from the start. If you go to movies and only focus on the talents, then you have that right. But I can't kick it like that...never did, never will. To be blunt, the film was nothing more to me than another expression of white supremacy made for DEAR white people, to add to what a previous poster already said.

It seems you want the movie to be a sledge hammer or preachy. Btw, you do realize that some movies, in fact most were made for entertainment purposes. The deep plot subtext came as an after thought. It still has to make money

It seems you want the movie to be a sledge hammer or preachy. Btw, you do realize that some movies, in fact most were made for entertainment purposes. The deep plot subtext came as an after thought. It still has to make money

Hollywood runs much, much deeper than entertainment purposes.
Anyway I answered your question, especially with the very last sentence in that reply. But if you didn't know and had to ask in the first place, then everything else that you think you know will only confuse you.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back