Black Entertainment : So I just watched "Dear White People"

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by ru2religious, Feb 5, 2015.

1. ru2religious

ru2religious Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,891
    And I really disliked its message.

The very black woman who was supposed to be fighting for the rights of black people on college campus was messing with a white guy the whole time while hiding it from those who followed her movement. One of the guys who was following her was in love with her but she was stuck on that white boy.

Then we had another black woman who showed strong disdain for black people and even the movement of black people having equality. She teamed up with the white folks and when the white folks threw a black party with black faces, fake guns and so forth she got perturb but it was her comment that kind of got under my skin. She said "white people buy big lips, buts, breast and other things including tanning so let them have their one night to be white".

She couldn't admit that she was disturb at the way that they handled that party while knowing they were making fun of her ethnic makeup.

Then we had the sell-out brotha who was dating a white woman in the beginning frowning down on his own people. The black guy ended up getting with a sista but even to that end he got with the one that had problems with her own (by the way she seems to have came back around at the end of the movie). She at the end had to put him in check - though it was the black mans father who was pushing so hard for him to inter-grade within the white populaces.

Dear white people wasn't what it was choked up to be. The black girl who was secretly sleeping with a white boy hosted a radio show which she would say comments like "dear white people, white do you put your fingers through our hair" and so forth ... but this move had absolutely nothing real to do with the real struggle.

Then our other brotha was a gay boy who was getting the breaks beat off of him and the only way to win his fight was kiss the white boy in the mouth. Common now.

I must say that I'm disappointed because there was more selling out than there was buying in. When are we going to get it right? Even in modern films where we should have more voice our voice is still being drowned out. Disappointing!!!!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. CosmicMessenger

CosmicMessenger Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +945
    Thanks for the warning.

I'll be sure not to watch it! :lol:

3. KPITRL

KPITRL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    Thanks for keeping it real. I saw this movie and got so turned off that I wrote three or four post on one of the threads about this movie, harshly criticizing it. I almost got up and left when I saw that young brother and white boy kiss. What makes this even more sad is, the film was directed by a young black man...smh. I called it a college version of Scandal.

4. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Each and every one of us did and do have our right to choose to buy what somebody is selling, or not at all...

I. e., in group censorship was and is not a good idea, whereas I also keep an open mind, when it comes to some folks reality checks/wake up calls, too...

(BIG smile)...

FYI

5. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Oh how quickly one and all just forgot about this flick!

Another case study of how we do take it all too much for granted!!

Always be cautious/wary/etc, of how others do play us cheap and close...

FYI

6. KPITRL

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    Come to find out that the young brother who directed this movie, Justin Simien, is outright gay...it figures.

7. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Please let us just weigh the pros and cons of the effort, etc.

I. e., it was and is about who produces that flick, not their choice of directors, etc.

FYI

8. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    The modern eras of black films etc. now span decades, so we have to weigh the pros/cons/etc. of more than a handful of its past or present producers/directors/writers etc.

On the other hand, I appreciate the best efforts of our own, because they were and are about our issues/problems/etc., not about everybody else's....

FYI

9. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    Thanks for saving me a $1.35 Red Box rental:).

10. KPITRL

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    I'm doing just that. I never said anyone had to agree with me. I don't mind you disagreeing with me, but please don't tell me how to post. Again, I'll continue to share my personal opinions as it relates to the movie and who was involved, and not on how other members post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List