Black Authors : so called publishing companies

sarcasm4eva

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 19, 2003
i've recently gotten a story copyrighted and recieved an offer from a publishing company called Dorrance Publishing. i was wondering if anyone has ever heard of them? also i was wondering if anyone knows of ne publishin companies for first time writers such as myself. another thing,how do you distinguish the commercial publishers from the non-commercial(such as Dorrance)?

No, I don't think I've ever heard of Dorrance before. I have no experience with them. I am getting my book published, it got set back a bit, but I looked up a few things before I started looking around so I can help a little. I can help you with distinguishing commercial and non commercial publishers. Commercial publishers are the publishers that can give you national publicity. It is basically the major means for advertising. They produce and distribute your book in large quantities into the industry and they normally have better editing so that your book is better edited. It is a author's dreams to be accepted by publishers of this nature because the business is better and you are naturally recognized for being with them all around the world. You can go to this website to see a list of the major ones. http://lib.colostate.edu/howto/publr-com.html They have people coming to them everyday basically, they want you to have a agent so get one before even looking in their directions. Here's a address with a little more information about commercial publishers. http://www.btsf.org/ws2leefl.htm

Non commercial publishers are just the opposite. They give you publicity, yes, but it's not as much as a commercial publisher. Non commercial publishers typically give publicity through their website and bookstores. They do small press. There are less quantities of your book to be distributed. For a small, non-commercial publisher operating within a discipline, success need not be measured in profits, but in the range, quality and number of books published; the need to avoid losses is not the same as a requirement to make profits. I highly recommend this for first time authors so they can see how many people buy their book and are interested before they enter mainstream with commercial publishers. I didn't go that route though. I went to an independent publisher.

sista krazylyrickz hit it on the head ....but with an agent can be costly too
self-publishing to me always seem best to control your own fate and work
as an artist ......thankz lyrickz for the links too .

thank you so much for all the imformation. its really helpful. i guess non-commercial publishin is how i should start, b/c i'm also looking to get recgonized online as well.your probably ahead of me in writing, but here are some books specifically geared to african-americans in the writing industry....Free Within Ourselves: Fiction Lessons for Black Authors by Jewell Parker Rhodes. another one is The African-American Writers Guide to Successful Self-Publishing By Takesha D. Powell

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back