Black Short Stories : Sneak preview (my afro-sci-fi short story)

African_Prince

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 1, 2005
I'm nowhere near finished, I have many more pages to go but tell me what you think so far :
LTWAWS

Uzuri had never heard anything like it before, if what she was ‘hearing’ could even be described as a sound. It was like a slow, wailing siren but it existed only in her own mind. As the sound became louder and louder, she could feel her panic gradually increasing. She jumped out of her bed and made her way to her bedroom window overlooking her apartment building’s parking lot. Uzuri felt that the ‘sound’ must be coming from the parking lot, why, she did not know. Driven by a capricious determination to satisfy her newfound curiosity, she hastily took off her pyjama top and put on some jeans, a black sweater and her black, autumn jacket, left her apartment and made her way to the parking lot.

As she neared the parking lot, the noise became louder and louder. She checked to see if anyone else was in sight but she was alone, as far as she could tell. There was something in this strange music that was mournful but how could she know this, she had never experienced anything comparable. As the noise steadily increased, she knew she was getting closer and closer until she could see shining, white light emerge from behind a nearby car. Briefly, she considered running back to her apartment but she had already come this far. Bracing herself, she walked over to the ’08 black chevrolet to see once and for all whether or not she really should be institutionalized.

Before her was the strangest animal she could have ever possibly conceived. It was as large as a horse, paper white complexion, with four ‘legs’ and eight stubs that would have to pass for arms. It lacked a neck but there was a distinguishable head, on top of which lay several white antenna with tiny, black eyes on each, or what must be eyes. More or less, it resembled a large, four legged, white centipede. Uzuri couldn’t help but to feel immediately repulsed but upon seeing the creature’s agonizing effort to reassert itself, she was immediately remorseful over her own thoughtlessness. Not knowing what else to do, she took off her coat and placed it over the large gash in the creature’s right side.

Thank you it said and Uzuri was so taken aback that she fell down as she stepped back in surprise. It isn’t that the creature said ‘thank you’, it thought it, not in English or any other language that Uzuri had ever heard of but in feeling , there was a definitely articulated expression of gratitude. You’re wondering what I am , it thought-spoke. Uzuri remained quiet. My kind are not from this planet…we were on a mission, I was away from my ship when I was attacked by others who are like you, I managed to escape, but I’ve spent several days hiding, moving out at night. I don’t know how much longer I can survive without medical attention.

“What was your mission”, Uzuri asked softly. She could feel the alien’s hesitation, she sensed regret, maybe even shame. “Who’s back there?”, Uzuri heard a cautious but threatening voice. She turned her head to see a middle aged White man pointing a flash light towards their direction. She hasn’t hurt me, the creature said. “I didn’t know if I’d ever find you”, the man said, seemingly relieved.

He looks human but he’s one of us, what you’re seeing is only a holographic projection, the alien explained to her. “We don’t have enough time… we have to take you with us”, the man said, drawing towards her. Don’t be afraid, the alien assured her as Uzuri stepped back cautiously. For a second, there was anticipatory silence as Uzuri considered what to do. Slowly turning around, she ran towards the direction of her apartment building as quickly as she could. She didn’t get very far before she felt a paralysing but painless shock, and everything went black.

Uzuri awoke from her vague, fuzzy dreams involving strangely beautiful music and injured, giant centipedes to find herself lying on a table in a pitch white room, staring up into the antennas of a creature identical to the one she had dreamt about. You’re awake, the creature said, seemingly concerned. It wasn’t a dream. “Where am I” she croaked, her voice feeling as though she hadn’t used it in ages. You’re aboard our ship.. you’re safe, I promise. We couldn’t take the risk of your alerting your society’s authorities or engendering widespread panic, we mean you no harm… we will eventually return you, the alien said with almost maternalistic warmth.

Uzuri felt calm, she didn’t think she was in any danger with these people but she couldn’t stop her mind from wondering how long ‘eventually’ was. “What happened to the other one.. the other one that was like you?” she asked. While the two looked identical from her perspective, she could feel something different about this one, he, she or it felt like a separate personality. Otom will be fine, this new alien sighed, as though almost disappointed with the other alien for having been injured. “Otom”, Uzuri said thoughtfully, “what’s your name” she asked what must have been a nurse or some kind of medical expert. The creature seemed to ‘smile’, pleasantly distracted from the business of Otom and it’s injuries, my name is Amdta, I have been interested in your species for a long time.

Thanks for the Sneak Preview

Interesting Story.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back