Black People Politics : Smiley Leaves Joyner Over Obama ?!

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Destee, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
  2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Destee,
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

3. MysteryDoors

MysteryDoors Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    I think the reason could be that Smiley criticized Obama for not attending an annual "State of the Black Union" symposium Smiley held in February. Sen. Hillary Clinton was the only presidential candidate who accepted Smiley's invitation.

Tavis Smiley Catches Hell for Barack Bashing
    Essence.com contributor Roland Martin supports Obama's decision not to go. Martin offered this excuse: "He can't be defined again as the black candidate. Some will say he must avoid black folks to be more palatable to whites and Hispanics. I disagree. But you can't deny the reality that he's running for president of the United States and not president of Black America."

http://www.blackvoices.com/blogs/2008/02/19/smileys-black-history-makers/

4. Edward Williams

Edward Williams Well-Known Member MEMBER

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for sharing.

I always say that it is best to minimize conflict by maximizing constructive interaction but there are times, you know..there are times when you gotta minimize conflict by minimizing contact. Unfortunately the way some of us have been trained and how we promote that training leads to situations where not being in contact may seem to be as constructive as it gets at the time.

As we become smarter about how this SYSTEM of non-justice works and how to work against it we will, more and more, only seek contact in order to solve problems and we will, less and less, seek contact in the process of seeking comfort.

5. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209
    It is an interesting dilemma. Barack seems to be making the best path him and his team can formulate to win the job of US presidency. Part of the plan besides projecting an image of being a better candidate than his rivals is to project an image that he's not gonna cater to just his own people. Hillary has to do the same. But from Hillary's team perspective, this means reaching out to other people besides her own. In other words she needs to reach out more to us than Obama to win. If we had to bet on who'd show up to popular African American themed gathering("State of the Black Union" symposium ) out of Barack or Hillary I'd bet on Hillary. This is not say I'm in favor of Hillary. I'm actually for Barack. My reasoning is that we need a Black President to open the door in everyone's mind that a Black man can be President. It could very well not do anything for our people collectively other than just that. I pray it doesn't take us a step backwards and if it does we'll learn and pick someone else that can better cater to our issues.
    That's my plan anyway in nut shell.
    :10400:

Yea I know it ain't the best plan. But my mind has been on other things as of late. So I hope the majority of us does the right thing.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Two major differences at work. Obama is married to a Black woman and has Black children. He has taken heat for attanding for an extended period of time a controversial Black church. Barack will get some of our vtes while others will vote Clinton. Just revisit the video interview with Michelle Obama months ago.

Hillary Clinton feels she has entitlement of the Black community based on her 'experience'. A short while ago I was on a website where a Clinton supporter said that after Clinton wins ALL Democrats would say 'Screw em" in reference to Black people who are voting Obama.

Screw em.

Mark those words. This is what some, a growing number of Clinton supporters really feel about us. Screw em. As if we aint already getting screwed enough. Clinton only needs to USE Black voters to get her over the top. Then, its 'screw em.

7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I dealt with Tavis before. He gave Clinton supporters ammo when he first criticized Obama for not attending his corporate-sponsored 'Union' and then fed the media rumors about him and hs family recieving death threats from Obama supporters. Now Obama supporters are labeled as 'thugs' thanks to Tavis and Bob Johnson and Juan WIlliams.

8. will-he-write

will-he-write Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +27
    Black leadership should not fight in public. Especially in the company of whites.

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    the problem with tavis is not that he is wrong. it is that he knows he is wrong and has failed to correct himself.
    anybody can make a mistake. heck, i even made one, back in 1976 i think.
    it is when you stick to it even though you know you are wrong.
    man up. correct yourself.

10. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209
    Tavis and Bob Johnson's problem with Obama may boil down to a simply pride issue. Maybe they fell slighted by Obama and they are are letting it manifest in their actions against him.

just a thought.